Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Ok found that in the manual is on the left side by the ecu. My volt meter does not have a diode tester in it so I would have to rig up abattery with a bulb to test it.

Tom
A "Diode tester" is just the Ohm meter function of "most" meters. The symbol looks like this:

I wouldn't bother with light bulbs. You can get a decent tester for $15.00

JC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omegaohm.jpg (24.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #22
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
A "Diode tester" is just the Ohm meter function of "most" meters. The symbol looks like this:

I wouldn't bother with light bulbs. You can get a decent tester for $15.00

JC
Oh ok so I am good then.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Hahaha!!! It all depends on what your definition of "forever" is... for me, it's about 4 years.
I've never had one die shy of 4, sometimes 5 years.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #24
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Step 3 it is. Charged up the battery overnight and the bike fired right up. it was between12.25 and 13 with the bike off. Went to 12.33 at idle and prety much stayed there, reved it up to 4k and didnt budge, it should be up around 14 something I believe so tom will be ordering yet another voltage regulator today. Turn around is about a week with the guy I deal with so that may be that for the year which mean I will at least get to put more miles on the buell.
Check the stator

Quote:
I have the futura shop manual so that should be in there and am 99% sure it is, just too lazy to go look right now

Another guy suggested checking the alternator so I will do that tonight since I need an extra pair of hands. So Iwill hold off till tomorrow before ordering anything.

Its called a stator. And you check it in AC volts. The diode (voltage regulator, also sometimes called a rectifier) converts that AC voltage to DC voltage.

Further, VR's can be tricky. I find the best thing... establish the battery holds a charge. Do the idle test of volts as you did at the battery. If fail, test the AC output of the stator and if it passes then the only thing left is the VR. Process of elimination. I have done it many times this way.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #25
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Check the stator

Its called a stator. And you check it in AC volts. The diode (voltage regulator, also sometimes called a rectifier) converts that AC voltage to DC voltage.

Further, VR's can be tricky. I find the best thing... establish the battery holds a charge. Do the idle test of volts as you did at the battery. If fail, test the AC output of the stator and if it passes then the only thing left is the VR. Process of elimination. I have done it many times this way.
Thats prety much the direction I am going with all this, I am going to recheck the battery again today to make sure its still holding a charge. The stator I will try to check tonight since I need an extra set of hands to do that, but given the bikes reputation Iam leaning towards the voltage regulator.

A guy on af1 already offered to sell me one off of his old bike that hes parting out, not sure if I will go with that or just buy the aftermarket one.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #26
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I wonder how many R/R's and stators were ever replaced because the wiring/connectors were bad. Someone changes a R/R by disconnecting and connecting the wires. Then the battery charges. Was the R/R bad or did disconnecting and connecting the wiring fix the problem?

By the way, Aprilia Falco's are known to have problems with the sidestand safety switch, and they aren't the only brand with this problem. And it doesn't matter if the frame is steel or aluminum, the ground connectors always have corrosion.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote