Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Saab 99 and 900 series (pre Opel\GM platform introduced in 94) were pretty cool cars with the turbo slapped on.
during the 80's and early 90's they were standout cars.
After that, they were an silly manufacturer of overpriced mediocre four bangers.

Volvo designs aren't half bad nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Saab 99 and 900 series (pre Opel\GM platform introduced in 94) were pretty cool cars with the turbo slapped on.
during the 80's and early 90's they were standout cars.
After that, they were an silly manufacturer of overpriced mediocre four bangers.
Why do you think the old ones were superior?

Every time I saw a road test, they were always low-ranked, and there were a lot of complaints about torque steer. The current models might still have torque steer, but they're a lot better looking IMO.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

Every time I saw a road test, they were always low-ranked, and there were a lot of complaints about torque steer. The current models might still have torque steer, but they're a lot better looking IMO.
My Maxima has loads of torque steer and it got good ratings. If you stomp on it and you aren't holding the wheel tightly when it shifts form first to second it will yank the wheel out of your hands.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
My Maxima has loads of torque steer and it got good ratings. If you stomp on it and you aren't holding the wheel tightly when it shifts form first to second it will yank the wheel out of your hands.
That kind of torque steer isn't all that bad..........The worst kind is when you get torque steer just crusing down the road/highway and stepping into the gas to pass someone, like the Pontiac G6 I rented recently. It was so irritating that it would be reason enough to buy the 4-cyl instead of the V6 in that car.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
That kind of torque steer isn't all that bad..........The worst kind is when you get torque steer just crusing down the road/highway and stepping into the gas to pass someone, like the Pontiac G6 I rented recently. It was so irritating that it would be reason enough to buy the 4-cyl instead of the V6 in that car.
My maxima is the same if you are going slow enough for it to kick all the way down to first which it will if you are going below 30-40. 6500 redline so it will kick down to 1st gear rather easily.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #16
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:

I didn't call them superior.
I called them "cool".

By the time the Opal chassis model came out in mid 90's, they were no longer cool because there were "cooler cars" on the market.

A 900 Turbo was a quick car in the 80's that had a unique look. In an era before traction control and nanny devices became common, a Saab turbo was a better bet than a BMW or Benz (at equal price points) if you lived in an area that saw a lot of snow. It handled well, accelerated well and it had euro snob appeal.

When the 90's came along, the market had changed and Saab's formula was no longer competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote