Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #31
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
No, it's because I was once a noob who didn't know about all this shit and threads like this helped me not only become a better rider, but more importantly a safer rider.
I'm willing to say that the old twf and this site probably saved me from a huge accident, or maybe losing my life. I learned insane amounts about riding and safety from the experienced members of this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I really dont understand why you guys take a shit on No Worries. He's a valuable member of this forum and could probably out ride the shit out of most of us. So what if he's always talking about Lookout Mtn. Thats his playground, much like many of you tout the shit out of Deal's Gap.

Just STFU and take in some useful motorcycle related information. This is a MC forum, after all...or used to be.

I'm sure almost every one of you has your 1 favorite road or road that you ride the most. For me it is MO-125. When I read about new riding shit on here I think about it in terms of on 125 and how I am going to try to change things.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #32
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
No, it's because I was once a noob who didn't know about all this shit and threads like this helped me not only become a better rider, but more importantly a safer rider.
Ok, fair enough, let's talk safety.

You can, in my opinion, ride for your entire life, on any road in the world, without trail braking.

How? Simple. Slow the fuck down. The world is not a racetrack. Treating it like one, exponentially increases your odds of becoming a leather clad graffiti stain on some unforgiving canyon wall.

I ride at **ahem** a fairly "spirited pace", but I'm usually off the brakes, way before the apex. Maybe it's because I got the whole racing thing out of my system years ago, (almost, anyway...) or maybe it's because I've seen too many dead guys laying under sheets. Probably both.

So, trail braking? Good thing to know how to do. It will make you faster. Will it make you safer? I don't think so.

JC
Old 02-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #33
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
I really dont understand why you guys take a shit on No Worries. He's a valuable member of this forum and could probably out ride the shit out of most of us. So what if he's always talking about Lookout Mtn. Thats his playground, much like many of you tout the shit out of Deal's Gap.

Just STFU and take in some useful motorcycle related information. This is a MC forum, after all...or used to be.
I'd have to agree.......Everything is the gap this, the gap that, or the dragon this, the dragon that...............Please, I've been in that part of the country, and while it's nice, San Diego mountain roads are a lot smoother, have more variety of corner radii, and you don't get random potholes or blocks of ice sitting in the middle of the road.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #34
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo8675309 View Post
This old dude is still keyboard racing on here? Wow.

Quote:

Exactly. Not too mention he's old enough to be some of these younger fucks to be their grandpa. I don't mean this as an insult but rather a compliment.

If you're going to go after NW... perhaps you need a reality check.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #35
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Ok, fair enough, let's talk safety.

You can, in my opinion, ride for your entire life, on any road in the world, without trail braking.

How? Simple. Slow the fuck down. The world is not a racetrack. Treating it like one, exponentially increases your odds of becoming a leather clad graffiti stain on some unforgiving canyon wall.

I ride at **ahem** a fairly "spirited pace", but I'm usually off the brakes, way before the apex. Maybe it's because I got the whole racing thing out of my system years ago, (almost, anyway...) or maybe it's because I've seen too many dead guys laying under sheets. Probably both.

So, trail braking? Good thing to know how to do. It will make you faster. Will it make you safer? I don't think so.

JC
I'm inclined to agree with you and if that was that would have been the original line of thought coming out of this thread then I'd have nothing to say. The fact is that the guy posted useful information about motorcycles on a motorcycle site. Fuck me I think this was the first time I've even seen you post about riding... until this point I wasn't even sure you had a bike.

I don't mind some ribbing and I certainly don't think this should be a 'strictly motorcycle content' sort of site but if someone wants to talk bikes, riding, or something related to the core purpose of this site let them. If you disagree then disagree but don't click on every thread with the intent on taking a shit all over it. Its really fucking annoying and pathetic.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #36
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree with you and if that was that would have been the original line of thought coming out of this thread then I'd have nothing to say. The fact is that the guy posted useful information about motorcycles on a motorcycle site. Fuck me I think this was the first time I've even seen you post about riding... until this point I wasn't even sure you had a bike.

I don't mind some ribbing and I certainly don't think this should be a 'strictly motorcycle content' sort of site but if someone wants to talk bikes, riding, or something related to the core purpose of this site let them. If you disagree then disagree but don't click on every thread with the intent on taking a shit all over it. Its really fucking annoying and pathetic.
Fuck dude, it ain't like I shot the guy's cat.

If we were sitting around a table at a bar, my reaction to the thread title, and the overall tone of the post would have been the same. A ribbing would ensue.

I've been riding for 33 years. Funny thing is, I started riding in Colorado, and I've probably been on Lookout Mountain. I can't say for sure, because they all look the same to me, and it was 33 fucking years ago. I don't even remember the names of all the streets I've lived on, let alone all the goddamn mountains I went up and down.

But you're right, I don't talk much about riding on the site. I don't feel the need to. Ask me a question, and I'll give you my opinion, but that's as far as it goes.

You're reading way to much into this, take a pill. Hell, take two, they're small.

JC
Old 02-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #37
Thumper996
VTwins and One Lungs rule

Moto: Turning wrenches on my rides

Quote:

JC
That is a bunch of BS, if you never practice braking late into a turn then you will never have that skill when needed in an emergency.

Example, you enter the turn at your non-braking speed, but out of no where car, animal, or debris is in the road causes you to have to get that sucker stopped under control whole redirecting the bike.

If you don't learn to do this under normal riding conditions you are most likely going to crash when you actually need to trail brake and redirect the bike at the same time.

Trail braking is all about hard entry into a turn while under hard braking. You either can or cannot do this.

So flame me if you want, but i will continue to trail brake into almost every turn.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #38
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
That is a bunch of BS, if you never practice braking late into a turn then you will never have that skill when needed in an emergency.

Example, you enter the turn at your non-braking speed, but out of no where car, animal, or debris is in the road causes you to have to get that sucker stopped under control whole redirecting the bike.
That's all fine and good, but I think you need to reexamine the conventional definition of trail braking, (which, btw, NW did a pretty good job of). If you aren't on the brakes when you enter a turn, you're not trail braking. The situation you're describing, is emergency braking. Not the same thing, and not the same purpose.

Quote:
Trail braking is all about hard entry into a turn while under hard braking.
Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, now I remember....

Quote:
So flame me if you want, but i will continue to trail brake into almost every turn.
Knock yourself out.

JC
Old 02-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #39
Thumper996
VTwins and One Lungs rule

Moto: Turning wrenches on my rides

Quote:
That's all fine and good, but I think you need to reexamine the conventional definition of trail braking, (which, btw, NW did a pretty good job of). If you aren't on the brakes when you enter a turn, you're not trail braking. The situation you're describing, is emergency braking. Not the same thing, and not the same purpose.

JC
I know the difference between trail braking as part of normal entry into a turns apex and emergency braking in a turn.

You miss the point i was trying to get across, some riders never learn to trail brake at all and when they need to lean and brake hard in the middle of a turn unexpectedly they do not have the skill or experience to do so and typically they crash. That is all i was trying to say.

I was taught to also use the rear brake out of a turn to correct the bikes attitude if drifting to wide. Dragging a little rear brake while on the throttle will bring the bike down more into the turn of course so will pinning throttle, but that takes skill i still have not developed after 35 years of riding

Just my $0.02 worth as we all ride different.

Last edited by Thumper996; 02-06-2010 at 12:08 AM..
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #40
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
I know the difference between trail braking as part of normal entry into a turns apex and emergency braking in a turn.

You miss the point i was trying to get across, some riders never learn to trail brake at all and when they need to lean and brake hard in the middle of a turn unexpectedly they do not have the skill or experience to do so and typically they crash. That is all i was trying to say.

I was taught to also use the rear brake out of a turn to correct the bikes attitude if drifting to wide. Dragging a little rear brake while on the throttle will bring the bike down more into the turn of course so will pinning throttle, but that takes skill i still have not developed after 35 years of riding

Just my $0.02 worth as we all ride different.
I'm not disagreeing with that at all.

Quote:
So, trail braking? Good thing to know how to do.
JC