Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #21
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I don't know how any parent could trust a school to teach their kids the things the parent deems important.
I don't know how society can trust the average parent likewise

Tons of parents refuse to talk to their kids about sex or anything else that goes against their warped belief system.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #22
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
You absolutely can not. And I brought this up in the teacher thread as well. As much time as I spend educating my son on the things he should be learning at school I'm beginning to think it would be easier to homeschool him.
Not so much with my son, but my daughter is always asking for help on her math homework. Stuff the teacher should be teaching her so I end up teaching her and I am wondering what the hell is the teacher doing during the math lesson?

My son never does homework, never studies and he gets straight A's so I figure the teachers must be doing it right with him. But with my daughter they aren't. She gets good grades but she has to really work at it with my help. My son doesn't.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #23
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Not so much with my son, but my daughter is always asking for help on her math homework. Stuff the teacher should be teaching her so I end up teaching her and I am wondering what the hell is the teacher doing during the math lesson?

My son never does homework, never studies and he gets straight A's so I figure the teachers must be doing it right with him. But with my daughter they aren't. She gets good grades but she has to really work at it with my help. My son doesn't.
Could also be the kid. That's why some people are fry cooks and some are doctors.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #24
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

Tons of parents refuse to talk to their kids about sex or anything else that goes against their warped belief system.
The argument ultimately becomes one about who has the highest interest in and control over a child. Society as a whole has decided that falls to the parent(s).
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #25
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:

Some children just "get it", "it" being whatever you want it to be as far as educational concepts, with little to no input from a teacher or extended focus on the concept.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #26
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:

I was referring more to Social or History lessons, not something as written in stone as math. They even teach Christianity to a degree at his school, so I have to decode him from that.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #27
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Could also be the kid. That's why some people are fry cooks and some are doctors.
True, though it can also be the teaching style. One style might work for one kid, but not another, regardless of native intelligence. There are also some kids who excel at language skills, but suck at math.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #28
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

If you really think about what school is for, it makes sense that the institution would be trusted to teach children things the parents cant or wont. School wasnt created to make one generation as intelligent as the previous generation, it was meant to improve on the previous generation and make them smater. I think thats what most parents want anyway.