Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #21
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

First hooking up with Victory would tag them on to an existing dealer network. Next the niche Victory cruisers are becoming more popular by the day, and last they have the more modern , better performing 'American' bike.

As for Buell performance??

i can't vouch for the Firebolt or Lightning line but my 1125R has a great chassis. My Arkriders track day I wore street tires and am bone stock besides the steering damper, even running belt drive and my only complaint is throttle connection.

I lapped consistently and my big competition came from an Aprillia Mille Factory and a CBR1000. My times were in the fast novice range and i know it has alot more potential. Sooooo yeah pretty good bike.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #22
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Why?

Victorys look nice....but they are ridiculously over priced. You'd likely get much better performance for a LOT less money from other manufacturers.

I mean, I don't want to start a big flamefest or anything but I just don't get the whole Buell/whatever EB does next thing. I've not ridden one so I'll just ask those of you who have...how does their peformance stack up to other "sport" bikes that you've ridden?
They are priced for their market niche...

You might get better performance, but you won't necessarily get anything original or innovative.

I'm a slow ass motherfucker, but from my standpoint my Buell handled really well, decent brakes for the street, and went fast enough for me. Going from the XB12Ss to the 954 was night and day... and I wasn't super impressed with the 954. Nice bike, way faster than the Buell, better brakes, but I'm unable to exploit 95% of that potential, so what's it worth anyway?

Style points alone I say Buell wins against 99.9% of the competition... Then again, I'm not joe-wannbe racer who looks at performance first. I'm just a guy with a certain style who understands that he will probably never be able to exploit all of the potential that any sportbike made in the past 25 years has to offer.

Under the creative umbrella of Victory, I could see Eric Buell getting the funding and creative license to build something truly special. We see part of that vision in the 1125... unleash the beast and who knows what we will see... God knows it won't be another cookie-cutter sportbike that looks/sounds like everything else.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #23
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
First hooking up with Victory would tag them on to an existing dealer network. Next the niche Victory cruisers are becoming more popular by the day, and last they have the more modern , better performing 'American' bike.
Sounds like a good idea to me.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #24
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
They are priced for their market niche...

You might get better performance, but you won't necessarily get anything original or innovative.

I'm a slow ass motherfucker, but from my standpoint my Buell handled really well, decent brakes for the street, and went fast enough for me. Going from the XB12Ss to the 954 was night and day... and I wasn't super impressed with the 954. Nice bike, way faster than the Buell, better brakes, but I'm unable to exploit 95% of that potential, so what's it worth anyway?

Style points alone I say Buell wins against 99.9% of the competition... Then again, I'm not joe-wannbe racer who looks at performance first. I'm just a guy with a certain style who understands that he will probably never be able to exploit all of the potential that any sportbike made in the past 25 years has to offer.

Under the creative umbrella of Victory, I could see Eric Buell getting the funding and creative license to build something truly special. We see part of that vision in the 1125... unleash the beast and who knows what we will see... God knows it won't be another cookie-cutter sportbike that looks/sounds like everything else.
Actually it probably will be if the revelations on the barracuda2 were accurate
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #25
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Eggzachary, goes double if its an oval pistoned v4
No thanks. I admittedly have little to back it up but I personally think oval pistons is a terrible idea for a production motorcycle. I imagine they are much more costly and difficult to make with way more machining complexity and time just for the cylinders and pistons alone. Add in double the valves, double the rods, a more complex crankshaft, more complex camshafts, plus other difficulties and Honda wanting over $40k for the NR750 makes some sense. If they want a V8, they should just build a V8.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #26
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
No thanks. I admittedly have little to back it up but I personally think oval pistons is a terrible idea for a production motorcycle. I imagine they are much more costly and difficult to make with way more machining complexity and time just for the cylinders and pistons alone. Add in double the valves, double the rods, a more complex crankshaft, more complex camshafts, plus other difficulties and Honda wanting over $40k for the NR750 makes some sense. If they want a V8, they should just build a V8.
Rules didn't allow for it. I agree on production woes but that engine is a piece of fucking art and if it were attainable I wouldn't give a flying about reliability
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #27
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
...You can order a race prepped 1125 straight from EBR for 6995
I didn't see a link for whole bikes? Well.....I DID but it was just Spec's and not a link to purchase....was there a separate site for that? Or do you have to call?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #28
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I called. It was months back. The 1125 RR 1190 Superbike was in the 40s I think. They were all fully prepped and track ready. I bet they still have some.

I remember the 6995 cause you can get a race only Fisher MRX 650 for about the same from Fisher Motor Company.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #29
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Rules didn't allow for it. I agree on production woes but that engine is a piece of fucking art and if it were attainable I wouldn't give a flying about reliability
Don't get me wrong, I would use this as a coffee table. It was probably semi-reliable as well considering the NR750 was built for endurance racing. It just isn't something I would be interested in for a streetbike, especially once the necessarily high price is factored in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NR750 engine mockup.jpg (99.9 KB, 33 views)
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #30
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Why?

Victorys look nice....but they are ridiculously over priced. You'd likely get much better performance for a LOT less money from other manufacturers.

I mean, I don't want to start a big flamefest or anything but I just don't get the whole Buell/whatever EB does next thing. I've not ridden one so I'll just ask those of you who have...how does their peformance stack up to other "sport" bikes that you've ridden?
For normal daily riding, I will take my 1125 over any Jap liter bike.
More comfortable, more "useable" powerband, and sounds AWESOME.
Handling wise, the Speed Trip is the only bike in the 1K plus group that I felt handled better on the street at street pace. Never been on the Kawi, but I don't think they are that much different than the GSXR/CBR/R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote