Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #31
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

The "BMW of 4x4's" comment just made me because I thought..."then what is an actual BMW X3 or X5" that's all...or a Range Rover...Hummer...but I know what you meant.

"Trail Rated" obviously is a marketing tool meant to highlight the Jeeps abilities to do some off roading compared to other vehicles designed for the street with or without 4x4...AWD...or 2x4.

It's not designed for hardcore off roading...yeah I know...DUH !!

All the "Trail Rated" designation means is...

The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording.

A random Jeep of every model is sent to a military test site in Nevada to test those conditions. If that particular model passes it gets Trail Rated.

Traction:
Traction in 4x4 is equivalent to grip on Asphalt. Trail Rated® traction helps you stay in control on untamed terrain, slippery (wet, mud, snow) conditions, and on steep grades.

Ground Clearance:
Don't drag your belly through the mud—just clear nasty logs, rocks, and uneven ground without sustaining undercarriage damage. Jeep® Trail Rated® 4x4s feature optimized approach, departure, and breakover angles to keep you in the clear.

Maneuverability:
Athletic. Agile. Trail Rated®. Jeep® 4x4s have the footwork to navigate narrow gaps, dodge emergency situations and avoid cosmetic damage to underbody sills thanks to precision steering and optimized wheelbases. Even gazelles don't move like this.

Articulation:
A Trail Rated® suspension is limber like a gymnast. How exactly? Flexibility is the key to good articulation. The more a wheel can travel, or flex, the better it can maintain contact with terra firma and provide the traction needed to cross an array of obstacles.

Water Fording:
Hit that riverbed with confidence. Trail Rated® Jeep® 4x4s feature additional electrical and body sealing, along with a high air intake location for optimum water fording capability. Note: Do not attempt water fording unless depth is known to be less than 19 inches

An old video showing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBjZCybzqlk
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #32
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

Kel, depending on the type of trailer and if it's just for your bike most cars can handle a bit of towing. I towed a small trailer with the GSXR on it with my Mazda 6 just fine. I only did it about once a month and if you drive it right I don't think it's that horrible on them.

Maybe you just want a jeep but if you don't want a truck and aren't sure about the jeep you may find a car with a V6 perfectly capable of towing, hauling 4 people AND better gas mileage...just a thought.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #33
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
Kel, depending on the type of trailer and if it's just for your bike most cars can handle a bit of towing. I towed a small trailer with the GSXR on it with my Mazda 6 just fine. I only did it about once a month and if you drive it right I don't think it's that horrible on them.

Maybe you just want a jeep but if you don't want a truck and aren't sure about the jeep you may find a car with a V6 perfectly capable of towing, hauling 4 people AND better gas mileage...just a thought.
If I could get away with a car I would.

Trailer is 2000 lbs dry. Add 2 bikes and some gear and we're looking at a tow rating of 3500 lbs minimum.

I'm thinking more and more of just keeping my car and shamelessly borrowing my father's truck all the time.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #34
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
If I could get away with a car I would.

Trailer is 2000 lbs dry. Add 2 bikes and some gear and we're looking at a tow rating of 3500 lbs minimum.

I'm thinking more and more of just keeping my car and shamelessly borrowing my father's truck all the time.
WOW I didn't realize you were pulling that much. A Jeep is probably not going to help you much. Tow capacity on mine is like 1500 lbs. I think the 4 door auto gets you to 2500 or so. these are not towing machines. I would pull one bike on a flatbed trailer but no more then that with it with my Jeep. That was one of the reason I kept my truck was for towing because I knew the Jeep wasn't capable of towing things I need hauled.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #35
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I did the mileage on my 08 last night. Keeping in mind the last couple days I have driven 20 miles one way out to the farm, 20 back at 65-70 mph, on a full tank I got 245 miles. Average mpg = 15.5. Most of my driving is in town and I get less than that. I dont have ridiculous tires, or a lift, and while I do have a lead foot, thats ridiculous. I think I'll be looking at some upgrades to help out the mgp...I think the info when I bought it said I'd get 16-19 mpg, so Im not too off I guess. Still, if you're worried about mileage, something to think about.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #36
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
WOW I didn't realize you were pulling that much. A Jeep is probably not going to help you much. Tow capacity on mine is like 1500 lbs. I think the 4 door auto gets you to 2500 or so. these are not towing machines. I would pull one bike on a flatbed trailer but no more then that with it with my Jeep. That was one of the reason I kept my truck was for towing because I knew the Jeep wasn't capable of towing things I need hauled.
I would be getting a tow package. The unlimited Wrangler can tow 3500 (according to the brochure).

But ya, it's looking more and more like we'll be sticking with my father's truck. I just hate that I have to ask to borrow his truck every time I go to the track. He knew that when he bought the trailer and was okay with it, but I hate to bug him.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #37
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I know you're talking about a Wrangler and not a Liberty but my towing capacity is 5000 lbs.

However if I had a free truck to borrow...sign me up !!
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #38
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
I would be getting a tow package. The unlimited Wrangler can tow 3500 (according to the brochure).

But ya, it's looking more and more like we'll be sticking with my father's truck. I just hate that I have to ask to borrow his truck every time I go to the track. He knew that when he bought the trailer and was okay with it, but I hate to bug him.
I would stick with the truck. Dad's never mind lending to their baby girl's LOL
Old 08-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #39
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
I did the mileage on my 08 last night. Keeping in mind the last couple days I have driven 20 miles one way out to the farm, 20 back at 65-70 mph, on a full tank I got 245 miles. Average mpg = 15.5. Most of my driving is in town and I get less than that. I dont have ridiculous tires, or a lift, and while I do have a lead foot, thats ridiculous. I think I'll be looking at some upgrades to help out the mgp...I think the info when I bought it said I'd get 16-19 mpg, so Im not too off I guess. Still, if you're worried about mileage, something to think about.

That is crazy. mine is an '08 and gets 20 easy and if I'm slipping down the highway a lot then it gets 21 or a little better. my tires aren't huge but they are 32's.
what gears do you have? mine are 3.73's I would imagine the 4.11 would get worse mileage.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #40
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:

I know that this isn't going to be a popular answer but if you really want something to tow but will only use it a couple of times a year, get a 1K-2K Ford F-150 beater and see if you can insure it as a limited use or weekend vehicle.
Keep your current car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote