Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 08-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Well, Shmike, he has a bit of a point. I mean, at some point people took shit like this seriously enough to leave Europe for here, surviving great sea voyages, and then striking out across vast plains, enduring attacks from natives, in order to have some freedom from this kinda shit.

Now it's just "Hey honey, look what they've done now", as they put the paper down on the breakfast table. Off to work...

As the population rises, we each feel less powerful as individuals.

When it was an original 13 colonies, and your town might have 150 people in it, it may have seemed that your voice might mean something.

Today, even your vote means essentially nothing. For starters, we need to make each vote count, and abolish the Electoral College. This, though it may seem nearly insignificant, will at least restore SOME feeling of power to the American voter.

Everyone now feels almost completely powerless, down to the fact that their individual vote even means shit. Perhaps if we restored just this little bit of true participation in government, people might feel ever so slightly more involved, and less apathetic.

Maybe we need to put it on TV more, and make it so you can vote with text messages.

It works for IDOL.

I understand what you are saying but the way I see it there are some issues with getting rid of the Electoral College. Primarily it would take an amendment to the Constitution, something that is difficult to do even with issues that have practically universal acceptance among the public. Amendments have been proposed to change the current system and none has garnered the required votes. The Electoral College isn't a concept someone came up with 50 or 100 years ago. It has undergone some tweaks but it is still essentially the same idea the framers envisioned. That automatically gives it credence in the minds of a lot of people.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

I understand that the Electoral College is not new. My point was, however, that the times have changed, and so perhaps have the needs of this democracy. I feel that in order to make people feel a bit more connected...no, in fact to MAKE them more connected, I think we have to make it far more direct; one man, one vote...and thus restore some sense of power to the individual voter. Without it, apathy is quite understandable. It results from a feeling of powerlessness.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
....Today, even your vote means essentially nothing. For starters, we need to make each vote count, and abolish the Electoral College. This, though it may seem nearly insignificant, will at least restore SOME feeling of power to the American voter....
The Electoral College was in place so that small states (minorities) voices could be heard.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 08-28-2010 at 11:39 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #14
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
The Electoral College was in place so that small states (mimorities) voices could be heard.
I hate mimes...just as creepy as clowns.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
This is something I have to take issue with.

When was this "once upon a time"? What decade do you think people would have revolted over an encroaching government?

1950's? 1920's? 1900's? 1800's? 1775?

All these cries of "people today are sooo apathetic" have been around since about 1784.

Hell, even in the sixties, people still fought for their rights.

Just another of those rights that you didnt need anyway, eh?

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.

Last edited by Apoc; 08-28-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #16
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
I hate mimes...just as creepy as clowns.
Keys on this PC suck terribly....my bad.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote