Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)
Default Raleigh/Durham NC

I mentioned in another thread that my GF and I are interested in moving and are really wanting to go to the Raleigh/Durham area. I'm still in college but can work part time as an EMT. She is in basically healthcare administration and can do stuff in that field.

One reason we really like the Raleigh area is a good number of schools. You have I think NC State, UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, and a few others. I'd really like to get into UNC Chapel Hill becuase they have an awesome Chemistry program (my major).

What are some good areas to look at in Raleigh? Even if I make it into UNC Chapel Hill I'm not worried about a 30mile drive from Raleigh. What are some areas to avoid (does raleigh have a hood)? We'll mainly be looking at 1-2 bedroom apartments and not really wanting to spend over $1000 a month.

We also plan to visit Raleigh probably sometime in November. What are some cool places to hang out and go out at? Do they have a downtown district that has various bars to go to? Any good 4 year or community colleges up there I didn't mention? And when it comes to getting in-state tuition could I do say a year of community college then apply to UNC Chapel Hill and get their in-state tuition?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Clay
I know nothing...

As far as where to live goes, some of that will depend exactly on what school you go to. Durham has more "hood" than Raleigh, that's for sure. LOL I'm a country boy myself, work in RTP, but drive 30 miles to get here. I live in Fuquay Varina, little town that's still more southern than northern (they're invading in MAJOR quantities *sigh*). I know most of the towns on the southern side, but there are plenty on the northern side too. It'll depend on how much you're willing to spend really. Apt or house? Cary is probably one of the best all-around areas there are. It's still too "city" for me. I live in the country and like it a lot more than more urban areas.

I can't help ya out with bars and such...I'm one of those boring family men types that goes home after he gets off work. lol
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
goof2
AMA Supersport

I've never lived there but have visited a few times. It has been a while since I was there so things may have changed, but Franklin St. in Chapel Hill is pretty well loaded up with bars/restaurants. The street is right next to the UNC campus though so if you don't want to deal with assloads of drunk college kids I would suggest getting out of there fairly early. One of the nicer places is called Top of the Hill and has a nice view of everything. If you do want to deal with assloads of drunk college kids He's Not Here is a good place for that.

The last few times I was there the area had really jumped on the microbrewery bandwagon. There were probably half a dozen just on Franklin St. but again I haven't been there in 8 or 9 years so that might have changed.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I used to live in Raleigh but it's been quite a while but I do still have family in the area.

Yes Raleigh is a good area but like most anywhere...yes they have areas that you don't want to live in.

There are several places to choose from to go to school...it's a real cool area.

Check out/join these sites that are mainly based out of the Raleigh area and ask around.

www.ncsportbikes.com

www.horsepowerjunkies.com (car forum but several guys have bikes too)
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote