Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

yes he would still be a hero. neither bullet that hit him pierced his BA meaning realistically he wasn't shot. not injured anyway. the medal is about putting other's lives ahead of your own in a selfless display of courage to save another even though it could have cost your life.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
yes he would still be a hero. neither bullet that hit him pierced his BA meaning realistically he wasn't shot. not injured anyway. the medal is about putting other's lives ahead of your own in a selfless display of courage to save another even though it could have cost your life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
yes, he would still have gotten the MoH. He helped stop a soldier from being captured and eventually tortured to death, while putting his own life in danger. There is no greater accolade than keeping a man from enemy hands. As well as being a major contributor to helping the unit fend off an attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post

/Salute
Agreed
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I was referring to the medal.....would he of gotton a medal if he wasn't shot? It is obvious the guy is a hero....he put up his life so others could survive. There is no greater heroism IMO.
I'm sure he would have still received a medal, just not the Medal of Honor. I'm actually pretty surprised Giunta was awarded the Medal of Honor even though he was shot. The majority of them awarded in the last 70 years, and all of them awarded since the mid 70s have been posthumously. It seemed like getting killed was becoming a prerequisite.

Either way this guy sure as hell is a hero, along with all the other people who do similar things without being recognized.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I'm sure he would have still received a medal, just not the Medal of Honor. I'm actually pretty surprised Giunta was awarded the Medal of Honor even though he was shot. The majority of them awarded in the last 70 years, and all of them awarded since the mid 70s have been posthumously. It seemed like getting killed was becoming a prerequisite.
Agreed. I was very surprised when I read the summary of his actions. I was expecting to learn that he was wounded in some grievous manner. Run a search on Marine Corps captain Brian Chontosh, who nearly single-handedly cleared an entire Iraqi army trench position to save the lives of his entire platoon and was only awarded the Navy Cross.

There is another Marine being considered for the Medal of Honor who didn't technically save any lives, but charged into enemy fire and ended up recovering the bodies of 4 of his platoon mates. Heroic action, to be sure, but it didn't use to be the kind of thing they awarded the Medal of Honor for. Used to be, either you lost quite a bit of blood in the process or they were handing the medal to your next of kin.

Then again, used to be you actually had to show up to the war zone to rate a Bronze Star.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Last edited by fatbuckRTO; 11-17-2010 at 04:16 PM..
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #15
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

There was a kid from my high school that was recently KIA. Awarded the Purple Heart for it, but not the MoH.

He was part of the a group that searched for roadside bombs. Story goes that he was the point man in his group. Two of his guys behind him were goofing around. He stopped walking because he thought he heard something, and the guys walked right past him. He grabbed both of them by the arms and yanked them backwards as they triggered a roadside bomb, and he took the whole blast. Its confimed he was killed instantly, and all of the other members survived. Had a pregnant wife at home... sad.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #16
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
There is another Marine being considered for the Medal of Honor who didn't technically save any lives, but charged into enemy fire and ended up recovering the bodies of 4 of his platoon mates. Heroic action, to be sure, but it didn't use to be the kind of thing they awarded the Medal of Honor for. Used to be, either you lost quite a bit of blood in the process or they were handing the medal to your next of kin.
the MOH is for exceptional bravery and putting your life in danger with no regard for your own personal safety in combat only. In previous wars the mortality rate was much higher, they didnt have the modern bullet repellant stuff we have now. Giunta would have been shot in the chest, a bad injurt any way you put it. Modern combat and modern medical techniques have improved you chances of being seriously wounded way down. I mean really, I could stop the bleeding from a gunshot wound with some powder and a tampon now, then have you in a hopital within 20 minutes, where in the past you would have bled out with your buddies finger stuck in you for a few days.

Here is a link to an article from someone that thinks it has been feminized and lost some of its grandeur over time too. The coments really explain my thoughts better than I could

http://www.themoralliberal.com/2010/...edal-of-honor/

Last edited by derf; 11-18-2010 at 08:19 AM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #17
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
the MOH is for exceptional bravery and putting your life in danger with no regard for your own personal safety in combat only. In previous wars the mortality rate was much higher, they didnt have the modern bullet repellant stuff we have now. Giunta would have been shot in the chest, a bad injurt any way you put it. Modern combat and modern medical techniques have improved you chances of being seriously wounded way down. I mean really, I could stop the bleeding from a gunshot wound with some powder and a tampon now, then have you in a hopital within 20 minutes, where in the past you would have bled out with your buddies finger stuck in you for a few days.

Here is a link to an article from someone that thinks it has been feminized and lost some of its grandeur over time too. The coments really explain my thoughts better than I could

http://www.themoralliberal.com/2010/...edal-of-honor/
The moral liberal LOL
Old 11-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
shmike
Follower

Saw Staff Sergeant Salvatore Giunta on The Colbert Report last night.

The guy's humility is unbelievable.