Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #161
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
What, military guys don't blow their money on crap or have loans? You've never served have you? most of the guys I served with were always broke from partying, toys and bitches! Dave, you still here? School this REMF shit when I got out I had a few hundred bucks, a duffel bag full of clothes and that's about it.... Of course that was mostly my fault but you act like everyone on the army is investing all their loot in Roth iras or some shit.
OK fair enough, but my point was the amount someone could start earning after graduation is offset by their loans. Unless they were lucky and their parents paid for everything, which probably only happens 1-2% of the time these days.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #162
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
I would say a majority. I haven't meet many that actually deserve it.
see here's my "bi-polar" nature coming out but I don't think that anyone "deserves" it. I'm not defending the welfare system in any way.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #163
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
You need to ratchet it down a tad.

Not everyone's gonna be a fucking rocket scientist.

Someone's gonna need to flip the burgers.

Damn good thing we're not all created equally, you'd be cooking for yourself.
Which post are you talking about?

Quote:
Here's the thing that several people here seem to miss, NOT ALL PEOPLE ON WELFARE ARE "GAMING" THE SYSTEM!!! A lot of people here talk as if people on welfare can get off whenever they want but choose to stay on because they are lazy. That they have exactly the same opportunities as anyone else but have chosen this lifestyle. That is absurd. I'm not saying that doesn't describe some of the people on welfare but all?
That is why I limited my statement to those who are gaming the system. If I thought that applied to everyone on welfare I would have just said everyone on welfare.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #164
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
OK fair enough, but my point was the amount someone could start earning after graduation is offset by their loans. Unless they were lucky and their parents paid for everything, which probably only happens 1-2% of the time these days.
You really think so?... How did people go to college in the past before loans? It's funny the sides we're on considering that I was in the military and I believe that you went to college....

Anyway, you said that college isn't for everyone...well, neither is the military. Besides, how large of a military do you all want to have? I'm not sure of the numbers but I'd imagine that if just a small percentage of welfare rats joined the military it would double.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #165
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Dude, tuition has gone up way more than salaries have, over the last couple decades. Plus baby boomers' retirement funds have taken some big hits in the last 10 years. So yeah, you dont see them paying their kids' tuition as much as they did in the 80s and 90s.

Yeah I went to college, but I just didn't understand how you feel the military is some sort of last resort for a ghetto resident. Like as if they have so many better options. Like what exactly? 0.001% might be good enough at sports to get their ticket paid, or 0.00000001% might be a good enough rapper to make bank............What are the other options? OK let's take studying hard......0.00001% might get a full scholarship somewhere........So where does that leave the other 99%? Should they become a manager at the TJ Maxx in their hood? Oh yeah, that's a lot to aspire to

And for those that get loans for college, why is that "better" than serving first? Especially when half of college students never graduate, mostly because they didn't know themselves well enough to pick a realistic major/career field (almost happened to me)..............and even those that do graduate don't always end up getting a job earning what the media claims college graduates make.

I just want to know what these "superior choices" are. I'm pretty sure I would have been more disciplined and had more self-confidence/direction had I done something with a little more structure (like the military) before going to college.

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-24-2010 at 06:06 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #166
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Dude, tuition has gone up way more than salaries have, over the last couple decades. Plus baby boomers' retirement funds have taken some big hits in the last 10 years. So yeah, you dont see them paying their kids' tuition as much as they did in the 80s and 90s.

Yeah I went to college, but I just didn't understand how you feel the military is some sort of last resort for a ghetto resident. Like as if they have so many better options. Like what exactly? 0.001% might be good enough at sports to get their ticket paid, or 0.00000001% might be a good enough rapper to make bank............What are the other options? OK let's take studying hard......0.00001% might get a full scholarship somewhere........So where does that leave the other 99%? Should they become a manager at the TJ Maxx in their hood? Oh yeah, that's a lot to aspire to

And for those that get loans for college, why is that "better" than serving first? Especially when half of college students never graduate, mostly because they didn't know themselves well enough to pick a realistic major/career field (almost happened to me)..............and even those that do graduate don't always end up getting a job earning what the media claims college graduates make.

I just want to know what these "superior choices" are. I'm pretty sure I would have been more disciplined and had more self-confidence/direction had I done something with a little more structure (like the military) before going to college.
Dude that's my point, it sucks that the military is the best option for us hood rats... The kids graduating from high school in upper middle class suburbs are picking what college they want to go to and hood rats are getting their GEDs and picking what branch of the service they're gonna go in. Rich kids are taking shots and poor kids are being shot at.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #167
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Dude that's my point, it sucks that the military is the best option for us hood rats... The kids graduating from high school in upper middle class suburbs are picking what college they want to go to and hood rats are getting their GEDs and picking what branch of the service they're gonna go in. Rich kids are taking shots and poor kids are being shot at.
I see your point and agree. It is unfortunate that for some the military is the only realistic option to make something of themselves.

That's not saying anything negative about the military. All he's saying is that it sucks that options are limited for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote