Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default When the Middle Class Goes Homeless

Down and Out in L.A.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Good story of a guy who pissed away all the money he made (and it sounds like there was a lot of it) on stupid shit he didn't need... then when shit gets tight he has nothing saved to live on and ends up with his family in the homeless shelter... in a bunk across the hall, you have a lady who was terminated from her job because she was unreliable and of course didn't have shit saved up to live off of...

And this is a sob story about how the economy is fucking people over?

Sounds like this is a story of people who didn't save a fucking dime, one of which couldn't be bothered to be at work. Too many sick days? REALLY? I've gone into work half fucking dead and if she was really that fucked up, she would qualify for FMLA. If you work in the call center industry, you are there every fucking day and on call during all hours of operation... I have no sympathy for that woman.

It's a shame too... I'm sure they could have found plenty of people who's jobs were eliminated due to downsizing, outsourcing, or shut down... instead they pick people who you shouldn't feel sorry for.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

The media does that because they know more people will read it. A story about a person who grows up poor and ends up poor isn't very attention getting. But if you can take someone who was making decent money and then went bust, more people will read it.

In their defense, it doesn't say what his exact salary was (Does six figures mean 100K or 900K?), how long he had been making that salary (2 years or 20?), or how much of it he spent on his children. Finally, if you are living anywhere close to Hollywood, you by default have to spend big bucks.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

What a New Yorker might spend on parking is more than a lot of people in flyover territory make in a fucking year. It's all relative.

This just in: People are out of work, the economy is in the shitter, middle class families are losing their homes. This is what the article was about.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
What a New Yorker might spend on parking is more than a lot of people in flyover territory make in a fucking year. It's all relative.

This just in: People are out of work, the economy is in the shitter, middle class families are losing their homes. This is what the article was about.
Bullshit. You know who are losing their homes? People who couldn't afford them in the first place.

Here's the trick, folks: if you don't have enough cash put away to cover six months of living expenses, you're doing it wrong. Paycheck-to-paycheck is all the way wrong.

$40K per year does not entitle you to a $250K home, a new Escalade and BMW in the garage, and a nice lifestyle. Try living within your means, and get back to me.

Fuck, most of the people bitching don't even know what real work is.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Until it's you, then it's different, right?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
$40K per year does not entitle you to a $250K home, a new Escalade and BMW in the garage, and a nice lifestyle. Try living within your means, and get back to me.
Even people making $80K aren't entitled to that. Well, the home maybe, but not 2 new luxury cars along with it. People in this country need to tone down their fucking vehicle spend.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
It's a shame too... I'm sure they could have found plenty of people who's jobs were eliminated due to downsizing, outsourcing, or shut down... instead they pick people who you shouldn't feel sorry for.
Give up the irony of a mortgage collections call center worker ending up on the street, just so you can have some relevant, responsible journalism? Please.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Even people making $80K aren't entitled to that. Well, the home maybe, but not 2 new luxury cars along with it. People in this country need to tone down their fucking vehicle spend.
Amen. My dad was making damn near 200 a year before he passed away and was driving a fucking Saturn. No boat, no classics, no bike, no pool. Thrifty as shit.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Bullshit. You know who are losing their homes? People who couldn't afford them in the first place.

Here's the trick, folks: if you don't have enough cash put away to cover six months of living expenses, you're doing it wrong. Paycheck-to-paycheck is all the way wrong.

Fuck, most of the people bitching don't even know what real work is.
I have to agree with Mikey. People don't plan for a future. They have become so conditioned to spend, spend and spend some more. Credit has been too easy to get and I know too many people so deep in debt, if they lost their job, they too would be homeless.

When I bought my house, the mortgage broker kept telling me, "We can get you more money. You can buy more house." I bought the house I knew I could afford.

It is going to get much worse before it starts to get better
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote