Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #81
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
I get the purpose of it, but I don't see the advantage of multiple inline's vs. an actual efficient tank style.
An "on demand" water heater is an inline heater that heats water as it is called for.
My understanding of them is that they are great for a bathroom etc on an end of a home that is away from the rest of the hot water requirements. This way you are not running hot water through pipes the length of the house.
To adequately supply hot water to all required places in a 3 bathroom home, I don't see how an inline would keep up? You would need one per bathroom, and for the laundry and one for the kitchen.
Tell me where I'm wrong...

I believe that's how my brother's new house is gonna be. Two 40's near the garage and an inline on the other side and some kind of recirculation system. They may have changed things up since then. May not even be installing the inline.

Inline water heaters get damn hot. They use a 3/4" gas line and need a specific water pressure. You can run your shower 24/7 or until you gas line runs dry. Also I'm sure they're are different sizes of tankless units to suit your needs.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #82
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
I get the purpose of it, but I don't see the advantage of multiple inline's vs. an actual efficient tank style.
An "on demand" water heater is an inline heater that heats water as it is called for.
My understanding of them is that they are great for a bathroom etc on an end of a home that is away from the rest of the hot water requirements. This way you are not running hot water through pipes the length of the house.
To adequately supply hot water to all required places in a 3 bathroom home, I don't see how an inline would keep up? You would need one per bathroom, and for the laundry and one for the kitchen.
Tell me where I'm wrong...
Well, for starters there is only 1 inline or on-demand heater for an entire home. It uses the same plumbing your tank does to "run hot water through the pipes the length of the house". The only difference is it turns on and heats water as needed, but stores none. You still have to wait for water to reach the faucet/shower head you are using, just like a tank heater, but once it's there the supply of hot water is endless. And there's no energy used to keep XX gallons of water to temperature.

I have one inline (gas powered) water heater to support my house, and I'll run out of water pressure long before I run out of hot water. Not that it would ever happen, but if every shower were turned on at the same time, they'd all have hot water for as long as they were running. Granted, you would probably look like the Seinfeld episode where they used water restrictors and made it so nobody could rinse the shampoo out of their hair, but the water would be plenty hot.

Last edited by fasternyou929; 08-02-2012 at 01:00 AM..
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #83
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Well, for starters there is only 1 inline or on-demand heater for an entire home. It uses the same plumbing your tank does to "run hot water through the pipes the length of the house". The only difference is it turns on and heats water as needed, but stores none. You still have to wait for water to reach the faucet/shower head you are using, just like a tank heater, but once it's there the supply of hot water is endless. And there's no energy used to keep XX gallons of water to temperature.

I have one inline (gas powered) water heater to support my house, and I'll run out of water pressure long before I run out of hot water. Not that it would ever happen, but if every shower were turned on at the same time, they'd all have hot water for as long as they were running. Granted, you would probably look like the Seinfeld episode where they used water restrictors and made it so nobody could rinse the shampoo out of their hair, but the water would be plenty hot.

My house has three separate systems. One for each house section. The previous owner was a custom builder that built the house for himself. I think he had the separate systems and just installed them because he didn't want to wait at any time for hot hot water.

I could have every hot tap on in the house and I would, quite literally, run out of water before any hot tap would get cold. [I don't have a well or city water - we are on a rainwater harvest system].

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #84
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
My house has three separate systems. One for each house section. The previous owner was a custom builder that built the house for himself. I think he had the separate systems and just installed them because he didn't want to wait at any time for hot hot water.

I could have every hot tap on in the house and I would, quite literally, run out of water before any hot tap would get cold. [I don't have a well or city water - we are on a rainwater harvest system].
3 water heaters? No thanks, I don't need more points of failure with my luck. Maybe you'll get a volume discount when replacement time comes 'round though!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #85
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:

My preference, I'll pay to keep ~80 gal of water hot and have hot water at full pressure at all showers at any given time. After 5 people showering, while the washer and dishwasher are running and no issues with water cooling off, I don't see the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #86
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Quote:
My preference, I'll pay to keep ~80 gal of water hot and have hot water at full pressure at all showers at any given time. After 5 people showering, while the washer and dishwasher are running and no issues with water cooling off, I don't see the point.
Where on earth did you get anything about the water heater limiting pressure from what I posted? I said if you turn on all 6 showers on my house, they would all be hot and only be limited by the pressure of the water coming into the house.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #87
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Where on earth did you get anything about the water heater limiting pressure from what I posted? I said if you turn on all 6 showers on my house, they would all be hot and only be limited by the pressure of the water coming into the house.
See the bold below, in your quote.

Quote:

Just saying, maybe I had better water pressure than you, but with 2 showers, dishwasher and washing machine all running at the same time, there was no loss of pressure... or hot water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #88
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Quote:

Just saying, maybe I had better water pressure than you, but with 2 showers, dishwasher and washing machine all running at the same time, there was no loss of pressure... or hot water.
I wrote it and know what I meant to say, so maybe I'm not the best judge, because I still don't see anything that should be read as "my inline water heater reduces my available water pressure". At any rate, what I meant to describe as the benefits on an inline/on demand water heater were:
Endless supply of hot water

Only limitation is the water supply itself as far as pressure (and with 1" plumbing throughout the house, there is plenty ); no contribution to pressure loss coming from the water heater

Get hot water to the faucet as quickly as a standard water heater

Do not use a dime worth of energy storing hot water waiting for use
Old 08-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #89
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:

I have not ever lost water pressure. Weird. Personally, I wouldn't go back to a tank.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #90
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Lowes had them marked down to $229. Looked at amazon and it seems there's already a 2nd generation out so the mark down ones should be 1st gens.

1st gen
http://www.amazon.com/Nest-Learning-...est+thermostat

2nd gen
http://www.amazon.com/Nest-Learning-...est+thermostat
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote