Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Hawaiian Good Luck Sign

Ever hear of the Pueblo Incident? December will be the 40th anniversary of the release of the crew of the USS Pueblo. In January, 1968, North Korea attacked and captured the USS Pueblo and crew. We said that the spy ship was in International waters, but North Korea claimed it was in their's.

There were diplomatic relations to free the crew, but with the Tet Offensive in Vietnam, and the assassinations of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King, the USS Pueblo was put on the back burner.

It was a year before I got drafted, and I used to read the paper every day to find out what was going on in Vietnam. The picture I remember most of the Pueblo crew was a photo on the front page of the New York Times. The crew was sitting and standing in their prisoner uniforms and some were giving the finger to the North Korean photographer. Not outright, but slyly. http://archive.redstate.com/stories/...good_luck_sign The NY Times didn't want to say that the crew was being defiant, as the Times was probably delivered to Korea and the crew would be tortured.

So the Times very diplomatically said that the crew was giving the "Hawaiian Good Luck Sign." This occurred in several pictures until they were found out.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

For those of you who don't know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Pueblo_(AGER-2)

I like what they wrote in their coerced confession of spying..."None of the Koreans knew English well enough to write the confession, so they had Bucher write it himself. They verified the meaning of his words, but failed to catch the pun when he said "We paean the North Korean state. We paean their great leader Kim Il Sung"[8][9] ("We paean" sounds almost identical to "we pee on"). Following an apology, a written admission by the U.S. that Pueblo had been spying, and an assurance that the U.S. would not spy in the future, the North Korean government decided to release the 82 remaining crew members.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Man it would suck to be a POW. I love the "Hawaiin good luck sign"...defiant to the end.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote