Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you keep your service records?
Yes 14 38.89%
No 19 52.78%
Tater's ex-wife is a cum guzzling whore 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #141
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
You're gonna tell me if you put like lets say a slipper clutch in your bike, you would throw away the receipt? Somehow I think not. But ok, let's entertain that idea. Let's say 3 months later you lose your job and are forced to sell the bike. You know, unexpected things happen sometimes. So now all of a sudden you can't "run it into the ground" anymore. You've got to sell it, and you want a potential buyer to know that you upgraded it with a fairly desirable mod. 'Cept you can't because you threw away the receipt. Real intelligent.
If someone put something like a slipper clutch on the bike, I better know the fucking person and how they treat/maintain their bikes. There is no way I am buying a bike with that big of a modification because they "have a receipt." If it was a shop that did it, it's easy enough to call a shop and get maintenance history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #142
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Weak fucking sauce.

Sometimes I think you people just take the opposite side just to disagree.

You're gonna tell me if you put like lets say a slipper clutch in your bike, you would throw away the receipt? Somehow I think not. But ok, let's entertain that idea. Let's say 3 months later you lose your job and are forced to sell the bike. You know, unexpected things happen sometimes. So now all of a sudden you can't "run it into the ground" anymore. You've got to sell it, and you want a potential buyer to know that you upgraded it with a fairly desirable mod. 'Cept you can't because you threw away the receipt. Real intelligent.
Strange how your argument has changed from service records to receipts. There is a difference.

Service records would be, you get your twice yearly fuel line inspection according to the owner's manual, and you keep history of it.

You'd be a fool to not keep record of something such as, having a wheel bearing installed that has a 50k warranty.

This has gone from, "You mean you don't keep proof of having your car washed?" to, "pfffft, you're a fool if you don't keep receipts".

PS, what if he shows you a fake receipt for parts not installed? Then it has the opposite effect of what you're going for. Somebody can show your "proof" of valve work, a slipper clutch. And you wouldn't be able to really prove any of it without opening the engine..

Last edited by Tmall; 06-14-2011 at 07:03 PM..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #143
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
If someone put something like a slipper clutch on the bike, I better know the fucking person and how they treat/maintain their bikes. There is no way I am buying a bike with that big of a modification because they "have a receipt." If it was a shop that did it, it's easy enough to call a shop and get maintenance history.
LOL if I owned that shop, I'd hang up and tell you to buzz off. Why would I waste my time looking up records for someone who wasn't even the customer.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #144
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Weak fucking sauce.

Sometimes I think you people just take the opposite side just to disagree.

If someone is hard up for money, how do you know they didn't replace an expensive part, sell it to a friend and put a stock unit back in? You don't. The paper is only good if you trust what is written on it.

Shit happens but having that paper doesn't mean you will get more money for the bike. Some will offer less for mods. And mods are only worth more to someone that feels they are worth more. The seller sets a asking price. The buyer decided what its worth.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #145
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
LOL if I owned that shop, I'd hang up and tell you to buzz off. Why would I waste my time looking up records for someone who wasn't even the customer.
Have you actually tried this? I got all kinds of service history from different dealers when I was looking for a GS. Dealerships aren't assholes like us. You have to do it through the owner though. You don't just call a dealership and start asking for different bikes that you saw at bike night that you wrote the VIN number down .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #146
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
If someone is hard up for money, how do you know they didn't replace an expensive part, sell it to a friend and put a stock unit back in? You don't. The paper is only good if you trust what is written on it.

Shit happens but having that paper doesn't mean you will get more money for the bike. Some will offer less for mods. And mods are only worth more to someone that feels they are worth more. The seller sets a asking price. The buyer decided what its worth.

James
I think everyone is missing the fact that the example he used can easily be tested.. so long as you get cash up front for a nice test ride.. lol

Edit - And to answer the original question - no I still wouldn't have a receipt..
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #147
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Strange how your argument has changed from service records to receipts. There is a difference.

Service records would be, you get your twice yearly fuel line inspection according to the owner's manual, and you keep history of it.

You'd be a fool to not keep record of something such as, having a wheel bearing installed that has a 50k warranty.

This has gone from, "You mean you don't keep proof of having your car washed?" to, "pfffft, you're a fool if you don't keep track of your warranty work".
Jigga please. I never said you should keep proof of car washes. I am talking things that affect the long-term operation of the vehicle. If you are going to keep the receipt for that wheel bearing you mentioned, why can't you keep the receipts for oil and filters as well? Do you guys seriously have no room for a manilla folder?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #148
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:

Because that is potentially a new customer on the phone. If you had a business then you would know how hard and expensive it is to get new customers. I wouldn't piss one off when they call me up.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #149
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Jigga please. I never said you should keep proof of car washes. I am talking things that affect the long-term operation of the vehicle. If you are going to keep the receipt for that wheel bearing you mentioned, why can't you keep the receipts for oil and filters as well? Do you guys seriously have no room for a manilla folder?
I have all kinds of room. Because I don't keep pointless shit lying around.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #150
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I have all kinds of room. Because I don't keep pointless shit lying around.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote