Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you keep your service records?
Yes 14 38.89%
No 19 52.78%
Tater's ex-wife is a cum guzzling whore 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Question Why dont people keep service records?

Been looking at used cars....And lots of these clowns claim they didn't keep records .....For example I had a couple people show me their tire receipts, which I guess they held onto so they could claim the road hazard warranty if needed. And that's the only frigging records they had. I'm like, how hard is it to keep the rest of the records, like oil changes and regular service? Do people just not understand that it affects your resale value? Do these people just throw those receipts away? I had one guy claim that his timing belt was done by someone "off-duty" and that's why he didn't have a receipt for it. Yeah right.

And furthermore, why don't dealerships collect service records from people who give them a trade-in? Wouldn't those records be helpful to someone who wants to buy that car? Or do they really think that their so-called "inspection" is enough to satisfy a potential buyer? Yeah, like I'm really going to buy a turbocharged car if I don't know whether the owner changed the oil on schedule. What a load of shit. If I owned a dealership, I would penalize people if they wanted to trade in a car without service records.

Last edited by Homeslice; 06-11-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

I thought every time you took the car in for service, even at Jiffy Lube, they scanned the car in and created records. How does carfax get their records to report?
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Honestly, because the majority of people don't care, or wouldn't know what the service records would mean anyway.

As for the carfax thing, only thing they track is accident damage.
Also, all recalls and warranty work is tracked by the VIN, if any shop does the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Because it doesn't effect resale the way you're stating..

99% of the people I know wouldn't ask for service records. Of the 1% who would ask, 95% of those would probably overlook it if the car seemed to be in decent shape..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post

99% of the people I know wouldn't ask for service records. Of the 1% who would ask, 95% of those would probably overlook it if the car seemed to be in decent shape..
I'd say the majority of the people that want service records do their own maintenance anyway... Thus, not able to provide a service record. Sure, you have the receipt for oil and a filter, but no proof of when (or even if) it was changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I got a 10 year old book that details every nut bolt, oil change, fluid swap tire change etc... thats been done to every vehicle I've owned since 2000. no reciepts because for the longest time I did all my own services, I bought filters in bulk and changed them as needed. I do this for me no one else. Plus it dont mean anything when you are selling a car, people and dealerships look at the KBB value then lowball you off that. Dealerships dont care because they just want a car that has cold air conditioning, decent tires, and no damage, most dealerships will pass the car no matter what for inspection.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujimoh View Post
I thought every time you took the car in for service, even at Jiffy Lube, they scanned the car in and created records. How does carfax get their records to report?
From what I understand, some shops report to Carfax, others don't. I've seen Carfax reports where it lists every little thing that was done, like alignment, new headlight, whatever. But I was told that's only if the shop participates with Carfax.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post

So what you're saying is, 99% of the people you know are dumb?

Or they just don't buy cars that are more than a couple years old? I can't imagine not asking for service records. It's a simple question.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I don't keep records since I do everything my self. I receipts and pics (that is if I take any).
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I don't keep service records because, I don't give a fuck about resale. I don't buy a vehicle or maintain it with resale in mind. then again I've only owned one truck newer than 99 and that was only mine for 6 months.

When buying a truck I don't give a fuck if they have a slip of paper saying they did such and such... I'm gonna see for myself. Yes, I cant' see that the oil was changed every 3k not 10k but that kind of lack of attention to detail shows elsewhere.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote