Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-06-2009, 01:15 AM   #11
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I tried to jump it today but no go... The techs at the Walmart I am at are fucking useless so won't get any help there. I can hear the fuel pump starting up when I turn the key so I don't think that is it. Tomorrow I am going to go and pull the spark plugs. I am inclined to think it is a blown headgasket as the last week or so it has been losing coolant really bad. It only overheated once on me, the rest of the time I have been keeping it topped off. I figured it was a cracked hose even though I couldn't locate it after hours of looking and planned on replacing it this weekend (guess not).
Pull the dipstick. Is the oil a creamy light brown? If so It's definetely a head gasket. The best way to test this would be a compression test.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:47 AM   #12
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Pull the dipstick. Is the oil a creamy light brown? If so It's definetely a head gasket. The best way to test this would be a compression test.
Easier way is to remove the radiator cap and crank over the engine. If coolant shoots out, then combustion gases are being pushed into the cooling system (as long as air was bled out correctly in the first place).

But pulling the dipstick is easy or looking under the oil cap. You can also pull the plugs to check if they are all coolant soaked.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Yep. if your cooling system gets pressurized in seconds flat from cold, its absolutely a headgasket, my S10 did this. if its indeed a 2.2, dont be afraid to ask me for help, I know ALL ABOUT this motor, inside and out.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
White smoke from the exhaust was the old school method of seeing if antifreeze was getting into the combustion chamber. To see if there was a leak from the cooling system to the oil system, you would pull the dipstick and let a drop of oil fall on the hot exhaust manifold. Usually, nothing happens to the drop. But if there is water or antifreeze in the oil, it will bubble on the hot pipe.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
White smoke from the exhaust was the old school method of seeing if antifreeze was getting into the combustion chamber. To see if there was a leak from the cooling system to the oil system, you would pull the dipstick and let a drop of oil fall on the hot exhaust manifold. Usually, nothing happens to the drop. But if there is water or antifreeze in the oil, it will bubble on the hot pipe.
I've never done the oil drop test. Interesting.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
White smoke from the exhaust was the old school method of seeing if antifreeze was getting into the combustion chamber.
I just drink the anti-freeze to see if I can taste the gas.

I'd check the oil for sure to make sure there isn't coolent in it.