Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8
Default Calling all Mechanics

Ok so here is the deal. My car has finally given out on me and I need some help. It is a 97 Cavalier 2.0 liter. I was downtown and it started right up I went about 5 blocks and stopped at a Walmart. Went in and came out five - ten minutes later and it won't start. The battery has a charge as my lights and indicator lights on the dashboard will come on as usual. When I turn the key it cranks and will spit once or twice but won't turn over. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also I am in Denver so if anyone on the board here lives in Denver and knows a good mechanic let me know. I don't want to have to tow it to a mechanics shop since the tow itself would probably cost a good amount of what the car is worth. In any case if I can't get it running or find someone who will fix it in the parking lot if that is feasible (for a fee of course) then I guess it is time to start shopping. I really hope this isn't the case since I will be going back to grad school in January and I'm not working so I will have to sell my bike for a new car .
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
t is a 97 Cavalier 2.0 liter.
Found the problem.

Sounds to me like a battery/charging issue.
Lights will come on with the weakest of batterys, but it takes a strong charge to crank over a motor. It will also not provide enough power for the coil to produce a proper spark.
Take the battery into walmart, they should be able to test it.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Moto: 2004 CBR 600 F4i

Just because the lights come on doesn't mean it has enough cranking amps to crank the engine over. You've got a dead battery, but need to a) charge then load test the battery. If you take it to any auto parts store they can do this for you, then B) make sure your alternator is charging properly. If it's not, that's the reason your battery is going dead (and can often times kill a perfectly good battery too)

Could also be a bad connection on the battery as well...check the clamps and make sure they're tight and not super corroded.

If you're at wally world and stranded, might just want to pick up another battery there, it'll at least get you home

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 253,500 miles and counting
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 435,200 miles still going strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

97 the cavalier had a 2.2L, no 2.0 that I know of. if its a 2.2, chances are headgasket went and you have no compression. But from experience, the 2.0 was an OLD cavalier motor, or an ecotec model introduced in 03.

a battery issue is also possible.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

With the single-digit temps we've had the last couple days, I'd go with a new battery too.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

something else to think about, how old are you battery CABLES? its not unusual for those to get old, weaken over time and eventually start to not work so well.

this is something else to think about. I recall an old ford I had did this when the negative cable went.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Well you said that it turns over... pops and sputters and ran fine up until then.

Ignition module?

Loose battery cable?-except that it turns over...

Fuel filter/pump?

See if Walmart techs will hook up a portable code reader for you. Maybe it will give you a clue.

See if it will push or jump start. If it will, then these guys are right. If it won't then it may be something else.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

1. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. If the engine cranks over faster than 150RPM and the battery voltage is greater than 9.6V when cranking, this is enough for the PCM to command the fuel injectors and ignition control circuits.
2. Have someone pull a spark plug wire and see if there is spark. You could also spray Windex on the wires to see any arcing.
3. Turn OFF the ignition for 1 minute then turn it back on. Listen for the fuel pump to prime for 2 seconds. You can also buy a fuel pressure guage to see if the fuel pump/regulator is building enough pressure. Fuel pressure is 41-47psi. There should be a shreader valve on the fuel rail.
4. You should then take the car to someone with a scan tool to see if there are any codes and what is the reading of the MAP, TP and ECT sensors.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 12-05-2009 at 09:04 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Its your cheap cables. You need an upgrade.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #10
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

I tried to jump it today but no go... The techs at the Walmart I am at are fucking useless so won't get any help there. I can hear the fuel pump starting up when I turn the key so I don't think that is it. Tomorrow I am going to go and pull the spark plugs. I am inclined to think it is a blown headgasket as the last week or so it has been losing coolant really bad. It only overheated once on me, the rest of the time I have been keeping it topped off. I figured it was a cracked hose even though I couldn't locate it after hours of looking and planned on replacing it this weekend (guess not).
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote