Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

The reward is a cool retro dirtbike.

And no way am I paying for the course when i could buy an old dirtbike instead and at least have something fun. I've always wanted something like this.

What's the worst that can happen? I can't figure it out, I don't learn anything, and I sell it as a bucket of bolts. Not bad for a couple of hundred bucks!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
The reward is a cool retro dirtbike.

And no way am I paying for the course when i could buy an old dirtbike instead and at least have something fun. I've always wanted something like this.

What's the worst that can happen? I can't figure it out, I don't learn anything, and I sell it as a bucket of bolts. Not bad for a couple of hundred bucks!
Except theres nothing cool about XR's, lol. They are the old lady of the dirtbike world.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Except theres nothing cool about XR's, lol. They are the old lady of the dirtbike world.

Cool to me!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Cool to me!
Im just razzing. But they are horrible, horrible bikes.

Look for an old YZ or CR125. Youll have a blast with it, and just as easy to fix. Shouldnt be a problem to find early ones for less than 500$.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #15
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

You need to check part availability also. There's some cool bikes out there but gettin parts is hard or expensive.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #16
goof2
AMA Supersport

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good idea, I'm just not certain that XR is the best bike to learn on. That also depends on what you mean by "learn to tinker". Learning to change the oil is one thing and it is going to be pretty universal between all bikes. Much of the XR isn't going to carry over to your Kaw though. There isn't any coolant to change. I believe XR has cable operated drum brakes on both ends which isn't going to teach you much about working on hydraulic disks. The value of screwing with the XR is mostly limited to becoming comfortable with the general act of using wrenches on a bike. There will only be the most rudimentary of carryover knowledge.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Oh I'll definitely be going cheaper.

And if I got the bike learning I would totally take it out and ride it. Tons of places to ride around here and I know it's not going to keep up with my buddy's but I think it'd be fun to rip around on it.

It's $200 for a course that's one evening to learn to change oil. Or I could spend a couple hundred on a bike that could be a lot of fun for me to tinker with.
$200 bucks? WTF. Do you have a shop manual for your bike? If not get one. It should break the process down nicely.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

For $200, they better teach me how to do an oil change and then let me lubricate two hot female prostitutes.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #19
CrazyKell
Vrooom

It's just a course at a local community college that teaches you the basics about a bike. I figure I could spend the money better buying something like this and learning on my own.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #20
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

for an oil change, just learn on your regular bike. It is really just as easy as remove a bolt, oil drains. Remove oil filter. Install oil filter. Put new washer on bolt, reinstall bolt. Put recommended amount of oil in oil fill. Start and run til it gets up to temp. Cool for 5 mins, check oil level. Add oil if needed. Done.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote