Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R
Default Good idea? Bad idea?

Looking to seriously learn to tinker this year.

Don't feel like doing it on my own bike but really want to learn about bikes.

Buddy is selling this:

Quote:
1983 XR200R This bike had the top end completely rebuilt, and did run perfectly, untill the coil started breaking down. It is currently in storage, and would require a new coil, a throttle cable, carb cleaned, and a little TLC. I may do all the work before it sells, in which case the price will go up......$500 obo
Good idea or bad idea to buy this to just pull apart and learn?

CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
t-homo
WSB Champion

IDK for that specifically. What I have been doing to learn more about working on bikes is hanging out with a friend who does pretty much all of the mechanic work for local guys in his garage. Go out there, watch him, talk about things and learn.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
goof2
AMA Supersport

If you are going to do that you should get something you are going to want to ride after you put it back together and something that hopefully has a large internet community where you can get help/information as needed. If you get that XR and have no desire or place to ride it I think you will end up with a pile of crap in a corner that used to be a motorcycle.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

my first assumption would be that the ad is misleading. he puts in there that it has a fresh topend. the xr200 is 4 stroke, people don't rebuild top ends on them very often. he seen that in other dirtbike ads and thought "yeah that looks good". ask him who did the work. basically $500 for a non running xr200 is a lot. I'd offer much less. or look for a streetbike to play with.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

I definately wouldnt go with an xr200. They are the most unreliable honda ever made, when new. At most, i'd offer 300$.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Kelly that's too funny. I've thought the same thing after a co-worker hinted he may give me his brother's dirtbike (been in storage a long time.)

I would go cheaper though, if you want to tinker. That way if you mess up something you won't be as mad!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Oh I'll definitely be going cheaper.

And if I got the bike learning I would totally take it out and ride it. Tons of places to ride around here and I know it's not going to keep up with my buddy's but I think it'd be fun to rip around on it.

It's $200 for a course that's one evening to learn to change oil. Or I could spend a couple hundred on a bike that could be a lot of fun for me to tinker with.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
Kelly that's too funny. I've thought the same thing after a co-worker hinted he may give me his brother's dirtbike (been in storage a long time.)

I would go cheaper though, if you want to tinker. That way if you mess up something you won't be as mad!
now that is the right price!!

first one I tinkered with I got at a rummage sale for $25. second one I drug out of a dumpster and the guy who put it there gave me the title.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Oh I'll definitely be going cheaper.

And if I got the bike learning I would totally take it out and ride it. Tons of places to ride around here and I know it's not going to keep up with my buddy's but I think it'd be fun to rip around on it.

It's $200 for a course that's one evening to learn to change oil. Or I could spend a couple hundred on a bike that could be a lot of fun for me to tinker with.
DO not waste 200$ to learn how to change oil. That would be fucking retarded! Save your cash for bike parts.

Changing oil is a matter of draining, changing a filter, and refilling. And I only want 75$ for that advice.

Tear apart the Kawi, you'll discover its not at all complicated, at least till you start pulling engines out of the frame and shit.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
If you are going to do that you should get something you are going to want to ride after you put it back together and something that hopefully has a large internet community where you can get help/information as needed. If you get that XR and have no desire or place to ride it I think you will end up with a pile of crap in a corner that used to be a motorcycle.
I agree with this.

If there's a reward at the end for putting the thing back together it will make the process that much sweeter.

A free bike can turn into a money pit very fast and you'll end up getting frustrated

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote