Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
I'd go Air Force or Navy long before I'd go Army. Or talk to all 4 and see which one you get the best deal.
I've got 9 years in the AF, and I'd go Army if I had to do it all again. Air Force is spoiled, and full of bitches and whiners who agree to enlist (or commission) but then cry because it's not a 9-5.

I've seriously thought about doing the blue-green program, but, I'd take a pay cut, and don't feel like going through training again.

Now from an officer stand point, no idea... though we do/did have an army officer here, I think it was one of Dave's or maybe Tallywacker's friends... but he stopped posting shortly after he commissioned and deployed..
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
I've got 9 years in the AF, and I'd go Army if I had to do it all again. Air Force is spoiled, and full of bitches and whiners who agree to enlist (or commission) but then cry because it's not a 9-5.

I've seriously thought about doing the blue-green program, but, I'd take a pay cut, and don't feel like going through training again.

Now from an officer stand point, no idea... though we do/did have an army officer here, I think it was one of Dave's or maybe Tallywacker's friends... but he stopped posting shortly after he commissioned and deployed..
Probably Tally's.

Drewp, don't listen to derf. You already have degrees and marketable skills so there's no reason NOT to go combat arms. Tell them you want to be Armor branch. You're gonna deploy anyway, you wanna be in some shitty humvee or the baddest motherfucker on the planet?

Just don't let your hat out of your sight at your first gunnery
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewpy View Post
Well currently I have a knocked up gf who is needing me to step up to the plate, we aren't getting married just. Yet but I'm hoping before my ass gets shipped out it happpens
Sweetheart, you wont get in overnight, most likely she'll have the babies before you ever get sent anywhere other than basic or training school. Just so you know tho, unless you are married, she probably wont get jack as far as health care. I think the babies could be covered after birth, but the Dr. Appts, hospital visit, etc wont be unless you've gotten married and gotten her enrolled in the health care system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Since you have your degree in biology, you might want to look into veterinary corps, do work with animals.

Also dont limit yourself to just Army, look into the Air force too, its harder to get in, but the standard of living is a little better too.

Exactly what he said. All my uncles were Army, I've got friends in the Navy, you aren't really Marine material (too soft and teddy bearish ) and Air Force is by far the best IMO.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

WIC should cover a lot of it, don't marry her til after the babies are born and she should get better benefits. WIC got my sister through her first kid, once she got married and her husband started making better money they lost all the WIC benefits and made it harder on them when they started having more kids.

Last edited by Trip; 06-23-2011 at 08:48 AM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #15
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

With all those degrees, don't you have other options?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Once I get down to River Ops in Chattanooga at the end of summer, I will try and get you a contact to get your resume over here to TVA and get into River Ops. A nice cushy gov job.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Wow, kids do strange things to a man.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #18
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Like to travel do you?

If'n it were me I would want to be in a M-1 Abrams. None lost to combat is what I heard. Several deployed in 2 gulf wars, so pretty good record, basically IED proof.

But you know...Once you see that kid and your gorgeous wife/girlfriend together you really won't want to be sweating it out in some hostile environment wondering about how they are managing. Just saying.

I suppose another option if I were in your situation would be Navy. Long months at sea cooped up on a ship full of horny sweaty guys. Nothing but the weather changes to mark the passing time.

Yeah I would hate to be working an 8 to five for the same pay even without the benefits, coming home to an evening of playing with the kid and snuggling that hottie...Just sayin'

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Like to travel do you?

If'n it were me I would want to be in a M-1 Abrams. None lost to combat is what I heard. Several deployed in 2 gulf wars, so pretty good record, basically IED proof.

But you know...Once you see that kid and your gorgeous wife/girlfriend together you really won't want to be sweating it out in some hostile environment wondering about how they are managing. Just saying.

I suppose another option if I were in your situation would be Navy. Long months at sea cooped up on a ship full of horny sweaty guys. Nothing but the weather changes to mark the passing time.

Yeah I would hate to be working an 8 to five for the same pay even without the benefits, coming home to an evening of playing with the kid and snuggling that hottie...Just sayin'
Some have been lost. And nothing is IED proof. Nothing like that Godlike feeling of power you get crewing one though. I still fiend for it, its the only thing that would have kept me active
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #20
Cory
Kneedragger

My hubby just enlisted, but he's active duty. He had a lot of OCS wash-outs end up in his MOS...lucky him
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote