Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R
Default Army?

who knows something about it?

i am thinking about going in as a officer since i have 2 degrees already.

i am going to talk to a recruiter tomorrow.

i am pretty much open to any of the branches and want to know your opinion of each, i know we have alot of different people in various stages of enlistment.

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Do you have any positions in mind?

I ride with an army guy. He did two tours in afgan, hes behind a desk now. Hes also not enjoying the pay cut or whatever that crap is all about.

Last edited by Rangerscott; 06-22-2011 at 11:57 PM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

There are one or two of us here in the Army, I think I'm the senior Army guy, but Jason is an Airforce officer and might be able to give you some other insights. I'll PM you my number.

generally its pretty straight forward, part or all of your student loan obligations based on your commitment (3-6 yr & reserve vs active), more if you do more years and more for active vs reserve. That is in addition to your pay, plus other monies and benefits. You need to be 30 yrs or less for active, 35 for reserve.

If you are looking to go full time, starting pay is around 40k plus housing/or housing allowance. the general equivalent for a lieutenant is that their pay and benefits equal about 70k year, you also get medical for you and your family (kids). Plus a host of other benefits too.

Call me if you have any questions.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
There are one or two of us here in the Army, I think I'm the senior Army guy, but Jason is an Airforce officer and might be able to give you some other insights. I'll PM you my number.

generally its pretty straight forward, part or all of your student loan obligations based on your commitment (3-6 yr & reserve vs active), more if you do more years and more for active vs reserve. That is in addition to your pay, plus other monies and benefits. You need to be 30 yrs or less for active, 35 for reserve.

If you are looking to go full time, starting pay is around 40k plus housing/or housing allowance. the general equivalent for a lieutenant is that their pay and benefits equal about 70k year, you also get medical for you and your family (kids). Plus a host of other benefits too.

Call me if you have any questions.
We see a ton of girls around here marry for the army money. Not sure if its prevalent everywhere else, but we knew plenty of chicks that bounce from army guy to army guy. But shit, college paid for, rent paid for, and spending allowance... all while hubby is overseas? No wonder. My best friends ex left him for one, and then while he was overseas, found another. Now she's married and moving to Hawaii....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
We see a ton of girls around here marry for the army money. Not sure if its prevalent everywhere else, but we knew plenty of chicks that bounce from army guy to army guy. But shit, college paid for, rent paid for, and spending allowance... all while hubby is overseas? No wonder. My best friends ex left him for one, and then while he was overseas, found another. Now she's married and moving to Hawaii....
Yeh thats nothing new, been going on for the 14 years I've been in and I'm sure its been going on before that too.

My professional opinion, give a bunch of 18 year olds a bunch of cash, some freedom, treat them like adults and some local girls that want to get out of their podunk-hometown, who are willing to spread their legs for the first guy that comes along waving a ring.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Well currently I have a knocked up gf who is needing me to step up to the plate, we aren't getting married just. Yet but I'm hoping before my ass gets shipped out it happpens

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewpy View Post
Well currently I have a knocked up gf who is needing me to step up to the plate, we aren't getting married just. Yet but I'm hoping before my ass gets shipped out it happpens
The career field you are looking at depends on your interests, if it were me I would go with these:

engineer - building and blowing stuff up
signal - computers, phones, satellites, radios, communication stuff
trans - transportation logistics
MP - you get to be a cop, and a dick cop too
military intelligence - maps, intelligence, security clearance stuff
aviation - fly helicopters

I would stay away from these:

finance - money blech, its all accounting
adjudent general - crap, all human resource stuff
most of the combat arms

Since you have your degree in biology, you might want to look into veterinary corps, do work with animals.

Also dont limit yourself to just Army, look into the Air force too, its harder to get in, but the standard of living is a little better too.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #8
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

A buddy of mine builds bombs and missles somewhere in BFN Montana. He will never see combat unless we are invaded. Sounds like a cool gig.

Stay the hell away from aviation. Had a friend of a friend go down in one in afghanistan.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
A buddy of mine builds bombs and missles somewhere in BFN Montana. He will never see combat unless we are invaded. Sounds like a cool gig.
Not true, everybody has a chance of going, some more than others. If he builds bombs then he probably fixes them too, somebodys gotta fix them

Quote:
Stay the hell away from aviation. Had a friend of a friend go down in one in afghanistan.
Its all a dangerous proffession
Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

I'd go Air Force or Navy long before I'd go Army. Or talk to all 4 and see which one you get the best deal.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote