Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Mossberg 500 is probably the best, most durable for your money on a lower end shotgun w/ interchangable choke barrels. I've had 2 for over 15+ years and never had a problem with them. There are better/nicer/fancier guns out there but you pay for it.

BTW, if you're planning on using slugs for hunting (I'm assuming deer hunting?), a 12 ga shotgun slug will travel farther than a 30 cal. rifle bullet if at the correct angle etc. Someone finally put the myth to rest and documented it...slugs have so much mass they will go farther at a slower speed. Just FYI.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Do you remember the model you purchased? Can the chokes be changed easily to alter the spread pattern for different game?

Can a 12-gauge shotgun shoot any kind of load so long as it comes in a 12-gauge shell? Or are modifications necessary to swap from shot to slugs, etc.?

Sorry, I didn't read through the entire thread. I have the Mossberg 500A and got it 19 years ago for my 16th birthday. The particular barrels I have don't accept screw in chokes, but that's not a concern to me as I don't hunt turkey or waterfowl. However, Mossberg does sell additional barrels. There is no modification necessary for changing from shot to slug, with the exception of removing the choke if you have one on the barrel. Take a look at www.mossberg.com to see what all they offer.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Yet another vote for the Mossberg. Mine was cheap, came with three different chokes that are a piece of cake to change out, and has yet to fail me. Partridge, rabbits, and skeet have all seen the wrong end of it.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #14
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Slug.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
What makes their Supernova better than the standard Nova?

The Nova Tactical 12-gauge would be ideal if it has interchangeable barrels. Cost is in line with the Mossberg.

ALSO, forgot to mention, I shoot left handed, if that should make a difference in my selection.
You definitely want a BPS then. They eject the shell through bottom of the shotgun. Otherwise on other pump actions the shell is going to eject right into your face.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #16
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I have to go with the Browning BPS because they are one of the very few that eject the shell from the bottom. Being left handed is a pain in the ass when it comes to guns of any kind.
The old Ithaca Model 37 was a bottom dumper and therre a couple of chinese clones of them you can grab for under 200. I am not sure where the orginal poster is from but if used is an option check around for poice trade ins I have a friend whose shop just moved of a bucnh of 20 inch 8 round pump guns for 125 each he took in trade when he outfitted a local Dept
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
You definitely want a BPS then. They eject the shell through bottom of the shotgun. Otherwise on other pump actions the shell is going to eject right into your face.
That depends actually.
Left handed doesn't always mean left hand/left eye.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #18
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
What makes their Supernova better than the standard Nova?

The Nova Tactical 12-gauge would be ideal if it has interchangeable barrels. Cost is in line with the Mossberg.

ALSO, forgot to mention, I shoot left handed, if that should make a difference in my selection.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
That depends actually.
Left handed doesn't always mean left hand/left eye.
Yep. Point to something with both of your eyes open. Close your right eye. If your finger doesn't appear to move, then you're left eye dominant and will want a gun that ejects at the bottom. If your finger appears to move, then you are right eye dominant and will want to learn how to shoot right handed.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #19
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Get the brand you want or can afford..

But when it comes to shot guns for home protection..

Get a pump action. The sound is UNMISTAKEABLE and tells the would be intruder to GTFO

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #20
speedylocksmith
Much better off!!

Moto: 05 1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Get the brand you want or can afford..

But when it comes to shot guns for home protection..

Get a pump action. The sound is UNMISTAKEABLE and tells the would be intruder to GTFO
It should but not always. About 10 years ago down here, 2 teenagers broke into a house in the middle of the day. The housewife was home alone. Went upstairs to grab the shotgun when she heard them trying to get in and called 911. As she heard them coming up the stairs, she pumped. The first kid continued up the stairs so she blasted him. The other "quicky" turned around and ran. First kid was blasted to pieces and died. Second kid went to jail for second degree murder.

Props to the housewife for protecting herself but I'm sure she still has nightmares about it.
speedylocksmith is offline   Reply With Quote