Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville
Default Gun peoples: first shotgun.

Last edited by Triple; 03-09-2009 at 01:47 PM..
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Browning BPS series.

For turkey you will want a full choke or extra full choke, so yes you will want to interchange the chokes. You will also want to be able to shoot 3 1/2" shells.

The best thing you can do is, go to your local dealer and pick one up. Hold it in your hands. You will know right away if you are comfortable with it.

Good luck
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

The Browning suggested earlier is a geat gun theonly down side is it tends to be pricey. If budget is a deciding factor the good old Mossberg 500 offers excellet relability good flexablility (you can easily and cheapyl swap baqrrels for different applications and are very inexpensive
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Normally I would say go for an Remington 870 Express or a Mossberg 500, or perhaps even a Charles Daly.
You can get a decently low buy-in price, but if you really want to do a lot with it, you're going to be spending money on things like screw-in chokes to change the pattern, or even a slug barrel if you want rifle-like qualities for deer.
For migratory birds, depending on local game laws, you will probably have to have a plug for the magazine that limits the number of shells it can hold at a time.
If you want it to have any real value for hunting, I would suggest no less than a 20" barrel... probably closer to 22". It sounds long for indoor use, but it's really not that bad.

Another thing you might look at is the NEF Pardner Pump "Protector".
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerPump.asp
Academy was selling them for $179 and they are pretty damn solid feeling.
They aren't going to win any beauty contests, but for that price you can buy it and still be able to afford a more hunting-practical weapon while staying under your $500 limit.

Also, not to argue with Rider, but 3.5" shells and "extra full" chokes are not a necessity for most, but ymmv. Plain old 2 3/4" and 3" have had no trouble taking down anything we've needed to shoot.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

I prefer the Benelli Supernova. Very slick pump action. Nicely made. Pleasing to the eyes.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I prefer the Benelli Supernova. Very slick pump action. Nicely made. Pleasing to the eyes.
He said he wants to spend less than $500.

Mossberg is great. When I bought mine, it came with two barrels, one of which is 18.5", great for home defense. It also has a 28" barrel for hunting. I don't know what you're hunting, but the barrel can be changed very easily. You can keep the short barrel on at home, then put the long barrel on whenever you go hunting. And it's cheap. Mine has lasted many years.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
He said he wants to spend less than $500.

Mossberg is great. When I bought mine, it came with two barrels, one of which is 18.5", great for home defense. It also has a 28" barrel for hunting. I don't know what you're hunting, but the barrel can be changed very easily. You can keep the short barrel on at home, then put the long barrel on whenever you go hunting. And it's cheap. Mine has lasted many years.
The Supernova is easily under $500. Unlike American pump guns, they don't have the rattling pump/fore end which I utterly detest in Mossberg and Remington. I briefly had a Mossy 590. The only cool thing about it was the bayonet lug. And the ghost ring sighting system. So there were two cool things about it.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Rider
Moto GP Star

I have to go with the Browning BPS because they are one of the very few that eject the shell from the bottom. Being left handed is a pain in the ass when it comes to guns of any kind.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
The Supernova is easily under $500. Unlike American pump guns, they don't have the rattling pump/fore end which I utterly detest in Mossberg and Remington. I briefly had a Mossy 590. The only cool thing about it was the bayonet lug. And the ghost ring sighting system. So there were two cool things about it.
That's cool. I see the word Benelli and I instantly think $1200.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Moto: Shadow 750 Ace

you can get a rifled slug barrel. i've been using the same barrel on my 12 ga since i got it for buckshot and slugs and i never had a problem
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't give a fuck if it's Hitler cake, it's still CAKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You can come back here with me after the rally and do it!!!
Dragonpaco is offline   Reply With Quote