Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Quoted
Hey it's true! That's probably why I'm where I'm at!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Wrong. It doesn't matter what the wheels do. The wheels could be spinning at 1000 mph and it doesn't matter. The thrust of the engine will push it forward. Now if you have a 10,000 foot conveyor, the plane will take off.
Its the combination of the thrust of the engine (jets moving air which goes over the wings) and the air velocity at 175mph (air moving over the wings) COMBINED that moves the plane. Yes if the engine jets were big enough, the plane would move w/o the air velocity of the moving plane. Its like how do you turn a bike fast. You do A PLUS B. Countersteer and lean. Can you still turn w/o leaning? Yes, but is takes much more force.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 07-19-2009 at 01:22 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Moto: 2004 CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
hahaha! You're right! Because the engines pull/push the plane though the air. The wheels will just turn. Ha all of you guys are right, I am a dumbass and don't deserve to live!!! man, I got stuck on forward motion but the wheels don't dictate that on a plane, duh!
Exactly!

Don't feel bad.... This thread was posted on just about every forum on the net about a year or so ago, and you would absolutely not believe how many people just simply can't grasp such a simple concept, even after you explain it in full. So hey at least you got it right away!

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 253,500 miles and counting
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 435,200 miles still going strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

But again the real question is if the rolling equipment will be able to withstand the conveyor belt at 350 mph? Because if it fails, that plane is gonna burn in a firey crash
Old 07-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Are you guys crazy? Airplanes fly because of lift, the engines create forward motion, forward motion cause air movement around wings which creates lift, no forward motion, no lift, no lift, no fly! Basic.
The jets pull air over the wings in addition to the forward motion.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 07-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #16
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by umairhashmi View Post
A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer like a treadmill). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction.
If by "moving" it means moving in relation to the Earth, not just in relation to the belt, then yes eventually it will take off. Doesn't fucking matter what the belt is doing --- All that matters is airspeed over the wings. Get enough of that, and it will lift off, even if the engines are dead.

Last edited by Homeslice; 07-19-2009 at 01:25 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Moto: 2004 CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Its the combination of the thrust of the engine (jets moving air which goes over the wings) and the air velocity at 175mph (air moving over the wings) COMBINED that moves the plane. Yes if the engine jets were big enough, the plane would move w/o the air velocity of the moving plane.
Huh??

I don't have the slightest clue what you're trying to say....

But the plane doesn't give a f**k about thrust, all it needs is air moving across the wings. If the plane is sitting still and there is a 175 mph headwind, it will lift up and take off. Engines don't move any air across the wings, all they do it push it forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
The jets pull air over the wings in addition to the forward motion.
No, they don't

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 253,500 miles and counting
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 435,200 miles still going strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Are you guys crazy? Airplanes fly because of lift, the engines create forward motion, forward motion cause air movement around wings which creates lift, no forward motion, no lift, no lift, no fly! Basic.
It still has forward motion. You could run the tread mill in reverse and still take off. You don't even need wheels on a plane.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #19
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
hahaha! You're right! Because the engines pull/push the plane though the air. The wheels will just turn. Ha all of you guys are right, I am a dumbass and don't deserve to live!!! man, I got stuck on forward motion but the wheels don't dictate that on a plane, duh!
The wheels don't matter at all ( unless they're cemented into place). What about planes with floats or planes with skis?

I haven't used this gif in a year

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #20
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenlxi View Post
Huh??

I don't have the slightest clue what you're trying to say....

But the plane doesn't give a f**k about thrust, all it needs is air moving across the wings. If the plane is sitting still and there is a 175 mph headwind, it will lift up and take off. Engines don't move any air across the wings, all they do it push it forward

No, they don't
Turbines pull air over the wings which aids in lift. How much I don't know. I agree the main thing the turbine does is create a low pressure in front of the plane which causes the rear air pressure to push the plane forward. But, the force of air backward acts on the wings the same way the moving plane air acts on the wings.

I'm sure if you reached the 175mph and stopped the engines the plane wouldn't lift. You would have to increase speed. But yes air moving across the wings is the only thing lifting the plane, but we are discussing where that air is coming from.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 07-19-2009 at 01:53 PM..