Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you keep your service records?
Yes 14 38.89%
No 19 52.78%
Tater's ex-wife is a cum guzzling whore 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #21
goof2
AMA Supersport

I don't keep anything because, as others have said, I'm driving it in to the ground anyway. My POS 4 banger manual truck I bought new just passed 100k miles and its just getting broken in. The only time anyone has done anything to it other than me was for tires at 70k. The utility of that truck is worth more to me than what someone will pay for it until the day it dies.

That being said, if I was in the habit of buying expensive vehicles and selling them every few years with low miles while they still had a lot of value I would probably keep "service" records (still me doing the service though). The only reason I would do it is for resale. As it is none of my vehicles will be worth jack at resale so a receipt for oil has more value to me for wiping off the dipstick than it ever will as cash in my pocket at resale.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #22
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Again, I don't understand how hard it is to hold onto a piece of paper, even if you do the maintenance yourself.
It's not your vehicle so stop worrying cupcake.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #23
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I keep all receipts for shop work but i dont for the stuff i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #24
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I got a 10 year old book that details every nut bolt, oil change, fluid swap tire change etc... thats been done to every vehicle I've owned since 2000. no reciepts because for the longest time I did all my own services, I bought filters in bulk and changed them as needed. I do this for me no one else. Plus it dont mean anything when you are selling a car, people and dealerships look at the KBB value then lowball you off that. Dealerships dont care because they just want a car that has cold air conditioning, decent tires, and no damage, most dealerships will pass the car no matter what for inspection.
but your jewish, its to be expected

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #25
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I keep a log on each vehicle. On the bike it's over the top.

I take pics of each and every oil change. Pics of the oil coming out, the new oil jugs stacked up empty, the filter, the magnetic oil plugs, and anything else that seems out of place. I print those pics.

The folder has a tab for each oil change of each bike. In each tab is a sheet protector, with a service log I fill out as I go. Behind that facing the other direction are the pics, and the reciept for the oil is between.

This is the service log I made for each service.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #26
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

I take pics of each and every oil change. Pics of the oil coming out, the new oil jugs stacked up empty, the filter, the magnetic oil plugs, and anything else that seems out of place. I print those pics.

The folder has a tab for each oil change of each bike. In each tab is a sheet protector, with a service log I fill out as I go. Behind that facing the other direction are the pics, and the reciept for the oil is between.

You either need counselling or meds...
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #27
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

No newspaper with the date in oil change pic ? FAIL.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #28
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Again, I don't understand how hard it is to hold onto a piece of paper, even if you do the maintenance yourself.
and again, I don't understand how you can take someones word that the slip of paper you have is genuine. like I said before you can buy the part, get the receipt, make a photo copy of it, return it, and boom there's your evidence that I "did the work myself"

even if it's done at a dealership, they fuck up all the time. the fact is, you can never be 100% sure, so you need to educate yourself and look it over. if you don't know what to look for beyond what a detailing job will cover, take it to a trusted mechanic. they'll sort it out for you.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #29
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
I don't keep service records because, I don't give a fuck about resale. I don't buy a vehicle or maintain it with resale in mind. then again I've only owned one truck newer than 99 and that was only mine for 6 months.

When buying a truck I don't give a fuck if they have a slip of paper saying they did such and such... I'm gonna see for myself. Yes, I cant' see that the oil was changed every 3k not 10k but that kind of lack of attention to detail shows elsewhere.
I keep big things like major repairs. Every oil change? Not really. Every vehicle I've owned has gotten at least 200,000 miles except one that only got 138,000 before I traded it in. I buy a new car like every 10-12 years now

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #30
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I keep big things like major repairs. Every oil change? Not really. Every vehicle I've owned has gotten at least 200,000 miles except one that only got 138,000 before I traded it in. I buy a new car like every 10-12 years now
yeah I haven't purchase any that had under 100k... even my 08 and 99 (the two newest) had 150 or so. most of mine are over 200k... shit I had a 79 Pickup with 750k.. bought it with 600k... can't imagine what it'd look like if they'd kept service receipts LOL
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote