Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 08-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #21
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

I don't plan on going down, maybe that's why I like my things nice. Will I go down? Probably. But I'm not racing, so I don't need to push it that extra little bit. And if I do go down and the 'glass is still usable, the paint will stay that way. Then I'll stop caring about the looks. I don't ride slower because I'm worried about wrecking and damaging my plastics, I just like them to look kick ass while I'm riding.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:36 AM   #22
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

well there's no doubt your bike looks good DLit... but until I really know if I'm gonna be able to afford a bunch of track days... I don't wanna sink TO much into the hobby before I find out if I can really afford to get addicted...

I'll have a new house... so don't know...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #23
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
why does no one else just track nekked? Then you dont HAVE to worry about paying out cash for plastics or jacking them up...less shit to ruin if it goes down...

hoping to start working on mine this month, learn to fiber glass...if you get a cheap set, go for one thats already been fitted to the bike and drilled, NOT one that is sposed to fit and doesnt really...thinkin once i get mine, I can firm up my upper body and head positioning technique...
Less to ruin? My theory is that the plastics will help protect the frame and tank and forks. Kind of like the hard shell of your helmet. Now that may be an idea... Throw some EPS on the inside of the track plastics
Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #24
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Less to ruin? My theory is that the plastics will help protect the frame and tank and forks. Kind of like the hard shell of your helmet. Now that may be an idea... Throw some EPS on the inside of the track plastics

Lets see, and use a lil logic here, rough for boys I know but...

Street plastics on a bike at the track. You wreck good, you total not only the plastics, but everything underneath (frame, tank and forks). MAJOR CASH out for that one...

Track Plastics - same scenario - wreck with flair, take out plastics and bike (again, frame tank and forks)...

Running Nekked - wreck with flair, take out bike, but no plastics. Not out the cash for plastic replacement, spend extra money from not replacing plastics on aftermarket versus stock replacement parts!!

And just a heads up, your plastics arent gonna protect a whole lot...ask someone who has wrecked.

Frame sliders are there to protect the frame, your plastics really wont do jack. Until or unless you are a licensed racer, theres not much sense in removing those sliders either...but most of the ones I know still have them on...

You flip the bike like speedracer did, NO amount of race plastics or anything else is gonna save that tank or the forks. It's totaled.

Your most common lost parts arent even near the plastics...rear sets, levers, clip ons...

so in conclusion, race plastics just look cool and give you the feel of your bike still on the street, as for protection, not quite what you are thinking...

The important lesson here is try NOT to wreck however...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #25
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I don't plan on going down, maybe that's why I like my things nice.
Then why have track glass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #26
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Then why have track glass?
That's what I was thinking.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #27
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
so in conclusion, race plastics just look cool and give you the feel of your bike still on the street, as for protection, not quite what you are thinking...

The important lesson here is try NOT to wreck however...
I crashed in my race plastics and they faired well and were easily brought back to a decent shape with fiberglass repair. You don't always need to replace them.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #28
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
I crashed in my race plastics and they faired well and were easily brought back to a decent shape with fiberglass repair. You don't always need to replace them.
fair enough, but you didnt try to take yourself out like speed racer did...mine are repairable as well, his however arent and require replacement...my point is that they didnt save the bike from damage to frame, forks or all those small parts...
Old 08-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #29
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
fair enough, but you didnt try to take yourself out like speed racer did...mine are repairable as well, his however arent and require replacement...my point is that they didnt save the bike from damage to frame, forks or all those small parts...
Yeah, but they still provide the aero package you need for high speed tracks. Which is nice at places like Barber and Nashville.
Quote:
Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #30
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Yeah, but they still provide the aero package you need for high speed tracks. Which is nice at places like Barber and Nashville.
Thats funny...i never notice the wind when I am tracking...even at Jennings with the semi decent straight...wind, what wind? you mean theres other people on the track too??!! We def need to get you down here...

that said, im hoping to get my plastics done this month sometime...