Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #31
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

I shop pawns alot...on principle, I pick up any Snap-On, Dewalt or Mac tools that I come across. You would do well with an inexpensive mechanics tool set, torque wrench, tool box, compresssor and some air tools. All can be had by a good shopper for around $1,000 but that does not include specialty stuff. I bet I have as much in my specialty tools(specialty torque wrenches, star and torx sockets, impact stuff and specialty wrenches) as I do in my regular tool set.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #32
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I get this statement from someone that just doesn't use tools as much as I use tools...

I haven't broken a tool in a while. Not since only buying the good shit Break a torque wrench sometime, it sucks.

Oh, and you never break a tool at the end of a job; it's right in the middle of it, usually with some random fluid that will leak if you don't tighten/fix what you're doing. And, usually when the stores are closed.

I've been in the same boat, but it's usually because I don't have that "special" tool or a flat head screwdriver and duct tape aren't getting the job done.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #33
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
I shop pawns alot...on principle, I pick up any Snap-On, Dewalt or Mac tools that I come across. You would do well with an inexpensive mechanics tool set, torque wrench, tool box, compresssor and some air tools. All can be had by a good shopper for around $1,000 but that does not include specialty stuff. I bet I have as much in my specialty tools(specialty torque wrenches, star and torx sockets, impact stuff and specialty wrenches) as I do in my regular tool set.

Pawn shops suck ass now. They sell shit at full price and there's hardly any haggling. It's always, "I have to go by what the computer tells me." Fuck that, I'll just pay full price for a NEW item.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #34
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I dont see why guys get all boner over Craftsman. The only come back I get is "life time warranty."

Hell. I rebuilt the engine I put in my vehicle with a HF torque wrench. Over 10k miles and still rolling along. LOL
Yeah, I had a broken watch too. It was right twice a day

Quote:
Their pricing. I've had my Stanley socket set for almost 8 years. I've used it on everything and it still looks brand new and works like day one. My GearWrench racheting wrenches are the shiz.
Not saying that there isn't any good tools out there other than Craftsman, but the warranty speaks for itself and is worth all the money you pay for the tool for.
I have had some cheap HF screw drivers. put in the first screw and the tip practically twisted right off.

Quote:
Ya'll sound like ya'll don't know how to use tools.
and you sound like a hillbilly redneck

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #35
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

I'm not just talking about HF as an alternative to craftsman. There's a lot more tool companies out there.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #36
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Quote:
Pawn shops suck ass now. They sell shit at full price and there's hardly any haggling. It's always, "I have to go by what the computer tells me." Fuck that, I'll just pay full price for a NEW item.
I skip the overpriced shops...last week picked up a Delta scroll saw brand new never assembled for $30 and a Ryobi 18v drill, 2 batteries and a charger for $29 and a dude walked out with a small box of snap on and craftsman sockets and wrenches for $40. Gotta shop right and look hard, plus the shops I go to have different "sales" on different days, friday is tool sale day, my favorite.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #37
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Hey gents. Kobalt now runs lifetime warranty, done at any lowes. I'd link it but I'm on my phone and that's just too much hassle from bed on my phone. Maybe later on my pc. But they do and they are made on the same line as snap on. But obviously, as advertised, way more comfortable.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:06 AM   #38
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Hey gents. Kobalt now runs lifetime warranty, done at any lowes. I'd link it but I'm on my phone and that's just too much hassle from bed on my phone. Maybe later on my pc. But they do and they are made on the same line as snap on. But obviously, as advertised, way more comfortable.
Most tools are lifetime warranty. Husky and Stanley have them too.

You got to watch lowe's, sometimes they won't give you the USA/snap on model of the one you bring to them broken, they will give you a chinese version. Not all Kobalt is made in the states, a lot of it is made in China too.

Last edited by Trip; 11-18-2010 at 02:10 AM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #39
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Yeah some of it is made over seas. Just like snap on and I believe craftsman too.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #40
tommymac
Moto GP Star

I picked up a set of kobalt screwdrivers from lowes as well as a set of mini pliers and they both seem prety good. A couple of the screwdrivers I have beaten up so far and are holding up fine
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote