Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
dubbs
Multistrada

Default Tools

Hey I've been searching around a little.. I bought my house a little while ago and my uncle has been "storing" his full 10 drawer box with every tool I could possibly need in it. He has since found his own house w/ a garage and is obviously taking what's his, so I'm in need of a whole new set.

I basically just work on cars n bikes with it. I need the normal screw drivers, pliers, allen keys, rachets, sockets, hammers, torx. Basically all that good stuff.

I was wondering if you guys knew where I could find a full box included w/ all of the tools that came with organization trays?

I'm looking to spend less than a grand for the whole setup.. thanks!
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
shmike
Follower

Check at Sears.

They have some pretty decent sets to be had for a few hundred dollars.

Add another few hundred for a box and you're well on your way.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
I'm looking to spend less than a grand for the whole setup.. thanks!
That's going to be a problem...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
That's going to be a problem...
Not necessarily.

I've torn down and rebuilt entire race bikes with a $99 "briefcase"-type tool set, a few extra sockets from Pep Boys and a set of "T" handles.

You'll never get everything you want for $1k or $2k or even $3k. Hell, you can't even get a decent Snap-On or Matco box for $1k.

Still, unless you are rebuilding transmissions or doing a frame-off on your Model A, there is no need to have a $15,000 tool box.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Ive never had agproblem with my stanley socket sets. I only buy craftsman when its on sale.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Not necessarily.

I've torn down and rebuilt entire race bikes with a $99 "briefcase"-type tool set, a few extra sockets from Pep Boys and a set of "T" handles.

You'll never get everything you want for $1k or $2k or even $3k. Hell, you can't even get a decent Snap-On or Matco box for $1k.

Still, unless you are rebuilding transmissions or doing a frame-off on your Model A, there is no need to have a $15,000 tool box.
I think my uncle got his from mastercraft (canadian tire company) for about 700$ filled with tools..

I've checked with sears and they have those mechanics sets for about 250$ with a small shitty toolbox. Other than that they just sell the tools w/o a matching box. The only way I'll be able to keep them organized is if I get tools that go in a certain box with plastic cutouts or w/e..
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
shmike
Follower

Quote:
I think my uncle got his from mastercraft (canadian tire company) for about 700$ filled with tools..

I've checked with sears and they have those mechanics sets for about 250$ with a small shitty toolbox. Other than that they just sell the tools w/o a matching box. The only way I'll be able to keep them organized is if I get tools that go in a certain box with plastic cutouts or w/e..
You can get a pretty decent budget box for $200 - $500. If you spend $200 - $400 on tools you'll still have money left over for some drawer organizers.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Not necessarily.

I agree.

I have a 260+ piece Craftsman ratchet set I got for under $200 that has had almost everything I need for sockets. I have had to add a couple for $10 or $20 each for things like the nut on my rear axle, but the price for a set that included them would have been well over $500. You can get a screwdriver set there as well with just about everything needed for not too much. A decent Craftsman roll away shouldn't be any more than $250.

Get that stuff and you will have most of your bases covered while still having $500 left to get any specialty tools you may need later.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

so go to sears pick up a decent box and a good starter set, that should be well under $1000 then later as you need things go pick them up.

that has worked well for me anyway.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:

ONSSP bought me one of those sets last year.. I pulled the shitty plastic drawers out and trimmed them to fit in my toolbox drawers - perfect organization.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote