Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #31
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Given that the average wall has so many bumps & surface irregularities, how would they NOT affect the picture?

A good motorized screen is only like $300 anyway.
I've watched a few games on my neighbor's setup - 112" of HD projection goodness being displayed on a painted wall with "bumps and surface irregularities" and it looks fantastic. I have no idea what you are talking about.

When I eventually finish my basement I'll be getting an HD projector (and my screen will have to be at least 113").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDproj.jpg (159.8 KB, 90 views)
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #32
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
I've watched a few games on my neighbor's setup - 112" of HD projection goodness being displayed on a painted wall with "bumps and surface irregularities" and it looks fantastic. I have no idea what you are talking about.
And how do you know it wouldn't have looked even better, with a screen? That's all I'm saying. I mean seriously, I can't see a physical reason why surface irregularities would NOT affect the picture.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #33
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
It would be a bitch if you start thinking 120" is too small. I have a 46", I'm used to in now but I don't think its "small". I want to go bigger in my house. I would like to switch my 25" in the bedroom to a 32"+ tv.

If I have the room for it in the next house I think I will be getting a projector myself.

James
That's basically what I've done... I put the new 55'' in the living room, the "old" 46'' in the bedroom and the 32'' is now a dedicated computer monitor, I may also move the Wii to that TV as well.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #34
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
And how do you know it wouldn't have looked even better, with a screen? That's all I'm saying. I mean seriously, I can't see a physical reason why surface irregularities would NOT affect the picture.
I don't know. But I do know that one doesn't have to spend $$$ on a screen when a flat piece of drywall with screen paint looks damn good and to my eye, there's no distortions or irregularities. If one feels like it's a necessity to spend more money on the possibility of it looking a little better, they should go ahead.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #35
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
All that being said I got a Dynex brand 32" TV from Best Buy a couple years ago. It looks good (not great) and hasn't had any problems. They are $300 at Best Buy currently.
Ditto this. Just picked up mine for the bedroom this afternoon. Good picture, not that noticeably different than others way more expensive and cant go wrong with the price.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Ditto this. Just picked up mine for the bedroom this afternoon. Good picture, not that noticeably different than others way more expensive and cant go wrong with the price.

Pffttt!!! GIRLS! What do you all know from picture quality? Go make me a sandwich and bring me a soda while I watch the game and STFU!!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #37
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Sanding the wall and using even a cheap non gloss paint makes a wicked screen surface.

I have a 42" plasma, a 42" LCD 1080P 120Hz, and a projector(no screen) which is limited to 85" due to room size.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #38
AquaPython
put it THIS way

just to clear some things up
LED IS LCD. it is just the bulb technology that illuminates the LCD. the older style uses flourescent bulbs, LED uses LED lighting, either back lit or edge lit.

Plasma is dropping in price but it still has a the best blacks, after CRT TVs, on the market. However, The top end LED's have very good blacks now.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #39
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
just to clear some things up
LED IS LCD. it is just the bulb technology that illuminates the LCD. the older style uses flourescent bulbs, LED uses LED lighting, either back lit or edge lit.

Plasma is dropping in price but it still has a the best blacks, after CRT TVs, on the market. However, The top end LED's have very good blacks now.
Thats correct, it was a good marketing ploy by Samsung to call them LEDs instead of LCDs. It's funny how we don't call regular LCDs for flourescents... Whatever makes them more money though.

backlit is going to be the way of the future once costs drop and technology for dimming get better. The way they dim in groups right now hurt it a lot, but once they can dim individual LEDs more effectively, this will be the TV to have with blacks as good as CRTs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #40
AquaPython
put it THIS way

samsung does the edge lit method, but there have been reported problems of the corners blurring or not colored right. This is why they can get that super slim model.
LG does the back lit method, and no problems reported with it. it is pretty flawless from personal experience.