Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)
Default Cheap LCD TVs

My girlfriend and I decided for Christmas that we'd split the cost on a LCD TV for a new apartment. It's not so much for watching Blue Ray, pic quality, and the such. It's more of a space thing. Neither of us watch too much TV but we do watch some. Probably in the mid30" range would be good and a wide screen is not a major concern (I don't mind black bars on the top as much as I mind the black bars on the side).

We are not wanting to spend more than $500 total but we still want something dependable.

I looked at Walmart and they had some from $300-500 but want to make sure they are not junk. Any opinions???
http://www.walmart.com/browse/TVs/_/...lected_items=+
Old 11-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

I always start here:
http://dealnews.com/categories/Elect...html?iref=dnhd

I personally wouldnt buy any of those cheaper models (emerson, sanyo, RCA, etc) but if image quality doesnt matter to you then theres really no reason not to get the cheaper TV. With more expensive TVs youre getting a better picture, more inputs, and other special features like automatic brightness or built in Netflix streaming.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
goof2
AMA Supersport

Pretty much all the LCDs out there are widescreen. Most of them have different zoom modes though (stretch the width of the picture while keeping the height the same, stretch width and height so screen is filled but top and bottom of the picture are cut off) so you shouldn't have to deal with the black bars.

For the size you are considering don't worry about 1080P resolution. You really will not notice a difference so you can save some money getting a 720P set. It shouldn't be a problem for most TVs but try to get at least 2 HDMI inputs. Most sources are going to HDMI outputs. If you want to add sources later you could be out of luck.

The main thing is to go look at the TVs before you buy. CompUSA around here was selling some Westinghouse LCDs a while back for great prices. I was there so I took a look. The picture was one of the worst I have ever seen, even against standard definition TVs. It will piss you off for the next 10 years if every time you watch the thing its horrible picture reminds you "your old TV had a better picture".

All that being said I got a Dynex brand 32" TV from Best Buy a couple years ago. It looks good (not great) and hasn't had any problems. They are $300 at Best Buy currently.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Thanks for the input guys. I like that deal place too.

Right now I have a 19"(somewhere in tehre) flat screen but a projection(?) tv. I've had it for 6years or so and it's worked great for me so most LCDs should be an improvement. I'll check out that Dynex next time I'm at Best Buy. Also would it benefit to get a New Years Day sale vs a Christmas sale?

Also what about Plasmas?

EDIT: I also don't play video games so that won't be a concern to me
Old 11-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I like that deal place too.

Right now I have a 19"(somewhere in tehre) flat screen but a projection(?) tv. I've had it for 6years or so and it's worked great for me so most LCDs should be an improvement. I'll check out that Dynex next time I'm at Best Buy. Also would it benefit to get a New Years Day sale vs a Christmas sale?

Also what about Plasmas?

EDIT: I also don't play video games so that won't be a concern to me
Speaking all in generalities, the picture on a plasma is good. They do better with black levels (and consequently contrast ratios), better with motion blur, and are usually a bit less money than LCDs. The downsides are they are heavier, use more power, run hotter, and have more issues with "burn in" (though that is more an issue with older model plasmas) than LCDs.

Buy the TV from a place that does price matching after purchase and when to buy doesn't really matter. Best Buy will price match their own prices as well as competitors prices for the length of the return period (I think it is 30 days, but I am not sure so ask them). Get it in a couple of weeks and you should be covered through the New Years sales.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Ive been looking at TVs too both online and talking to people that are knowledgeable on them. Since Im planning on a 32" since my room isnt that big Im prob going to buy either a sony or samsung 720p lcd. Ive found both brands for right around $400 for that size and resolution and they are both very solid brands for hdtvs.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

What a coincidence!!! I'm on my way to Best Buy to get a Samsung 55'' LED for $2100!!! It the 120hz model instead of the newer 240hz tube.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I bought a cheaper LCD for my wife yesterday. We went to HHuhGregg and they completely lied to us about competitor pricing and then tried to tell us that Best Buy was out of stock. They really didn't appreciate me double checking the prices on the BB Storm and then calling to confirm they had stock. I am going to file a BBB complaint against them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I have a 42" Vizio Gallevia and love it. The colors are great since I use it for gaming. I'll eventually sell it and upgrade to 120Hz or 240Hz.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Don't bother with Plasma if you are looking at under a 50".
LCD is better for the smaller screens, and becoming equal on the larger ones as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote