Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #31
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
What necessitates the removal? Oil filter?
Yep, the filter is on the left side of the engine buried underneath the lower fairing. You can't even really see the oil filter if the fairing is on, much less hope to remove it.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #32
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Yep, the filter is on the left side of the engine buried underneath the lower fairing. You can't even really see the oil filter if the fairing is on, much less hope to remove it.
Shitty...though to be honest, I do have to remove my chin fairing to get the filter off.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #33
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Shitty...though to be honest, I do have to remove my chin fairing to get the filter off.
It doesn't bother me too much since it is only takes about 5 minutes to remove the 10 screws holding it on. I suppose I could replace the screws with Dzus quarter turn fasteners and speed it up further but haven't really felt the need to do so.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #34
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I bought a used CBR600 F3 that wasn't running and was wrecked (body damage) for $1000. Probably more than I should have spent but oh well. Anyways I started rebuilding it over the winter and got it running. I have some mechanical skills, basic tools, and did it by myself. I learned a lot from just going at it and my bike is still running strong after I've put probably 15-20k miles on it at now 50k.

Here is some of my progress on it...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atlanta...7602727619521/

I really enjoyed working on it despite I don't really get to anymore due to school. But totally worth it and it'll make a great track bike once I get a better bike.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #35
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Question for Kawi owners...why the hell do you have to take the fairings off to change oil? What a pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I was thinking that too...I haven't had to do that since '95...
I don't think all Kawi owners have to do this. I do it because it just makes it easier. My fairings are two pieces, one for each side that connect underneath. I do have an open place for the drain plug but I still have to remove one to access the filter and risk oil getting on that half - not a big deal, just more cleanup. My other issue is that I can't fit a pan underneath. So I take off both.

racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote