Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #41
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewpy View Post
why?
this is simply my explanation for myself. as i said I wanted to blow things up. only one way to do that in AF. Fly jets. if you can't fly jets you are a support person. you can work on planes or guard planes, or feed pilots, but overall, the guys that ARE the Air Force fly jets.
they do have very nice barracks. Very comfy jobs, seldom go to the field, if ever.
believe I took a lot of razzing from friends who were AF when I had to spend 30 days in the field while they went to work every day and came home.
you have to decide what kind of person you are. recruiters will all tell you that you are perfect for their team.
as i said i recommended my older son go AF. I knew he wouldn't like the field, the running, the Army basically. He hated it, not sure why he didn't do AF except because I said he should. LOL
personally I think your reason for joining is completely wrong but that's a different discussion. your GF gets pregnant so you want to sign up for a job that may cost you your life? may take you on extended tour away from home. Wives aren't always allowed and no military force cares if you're married.

yes there is a steady paycheck and a secure job BUT no one gives you that without a great risk of sacrifice. Make sure you can afford the "real" price you may have to pay for that check. My son is 100% disabled for life. it can happen.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #42
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Dumb Ass Tanker. Though these days I'm a cavalry scout. Less weight more stealing

forgot about them. you aren't too far above us then. LOL

Calvary had a buddy try to get there, couldn't swing it.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #43
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

We had a cav battalion in my brigade. Lost the most guys.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #44
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewpy View Post
Well currently I have a knocked up gf who is needing me to step up to the plate, we aren't getting married just. Yet but I'm hoping before my ass gets shipped out it happpens
Speaking as an enlisted man; if this is your sole or even primary reason for joining the service, please do not become an Army or Marine Corps officer.

I've answered to Army officers throughout my career, though I was enlisted in the Marine Corps and the Navy (the Army is too fucking big to avoid them). There are too goddamn many officers in general who very obviously joined for the wrong fucking reasons and never once stopped to consider the fact that they might be leading men in war. The Army and Marine Corps are the absolute wrong services to blunder in to a leadership position half-cocked, and apparently officer training doesn't do much in terms of teaching leadership traits to those who don't already have them.

If you're just looking for a job, join the Air Force. Maybe the Navy, though the benefits are absolutely better in the Air Force. For instance, they get extra pay for staying in other services' barracks because they consider it sub-standard housing.

If you want to be where the buck stops, if you want to be responsible for the action and lives of 30 people or more right out the gate, then be an Army officer. If you think you can put the needs of your men ahead of your own needs, but above all put the mission first, be an Army officer. Otherwise, as a favor to every enlisted man in the country, since apparently we can't keep from answering to the Army in one shape or form, stay the fuck out.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #45
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

If you're gonna go Army or Marines, I suggest you play Modern Warfare 1 & 2 as they are the most realistic simulators. These two games have trained thousands of "potential" males into war machines. I never leave home without my copies.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #46
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Speaking as an enlisted man; if this is your sole or even primary reason for joining the service, please do not become an Army or Marine Corps officer.

I've answered to Army officers throughout my career, though I was enlisted in the Marine Corps and the Navy (the Army is too fucking big to avoid them). There are too goddamn many officers in general who very obviously joined for the wrong fucking reasons and never once stopped to consider the fact that they might be leading men in war. The Army and Marine Corps are the absolute wrong services to blunder in to a leadership position half-cocked, and apparently officer training doesn't do much in terms of teaching leadership traits to those who don't already have them.

If you're just looking for a job, join the Air Force. Maybe the Navy, though the benefits are absolutely better in the Air Force. For instance, they get extra pay for staying in other services' barracks because they consider it sub-standard housing.

If you want to be where the buck stops, if you want to be responsible for the action and lives of 30 people or more right out the gate, then be an Army officer. If you think you can put the needs of your men ahead of your own needs, but above all put the mission first, be an Army officer. Otherwise, as a favor to every enlisted man in the country, since apparently we can't keep from answering to the Army in one shape or form, stay the fuck out.

Respect

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #47
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:

I always wondered the ratio of people that actually want to be in the military and others that don't.

You can't always blame them. A person gets all hyped up about joining because of what a recruiter tells them or maybe their already enlisted friend or the pressure from other relatives serving. But yes, I'm sure they're are a lot that should have never even thought about joining.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #48
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I always wondered the ratio of people that actually want to be in the military and others that don't...
I didn't want to be, but I was drafted. Never drove a car in my life and they put me in Armor school, driving a tank. Was in Mechanized Infantry in Nam driving a flame thrower. Offered me a promotion and big bucks at the time to stay in, but the Army was pretty weird then. And probably still is.

I went to college on the GI Bill and got a great job with the Govt. doing stuff you can't do anywhere else. Why not look there: http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #49
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
I didn't want to be, but I was drafted. Never drove a car in my life and they put me in Armor school, driving a tank. Was in Mechanized Infantry in Nam driving a flame thrower. Offered me a promotion and big bucks at the time to stay in, but the Army was pretty weird then. And probably still is.

I went to college on the GI Bill and got a great job with the Govt. doing stuff you can't do anywhere else. Why not look there: http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/
m47 or 48? musta been awesome. cept for the hair smell anyway.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #50
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
forgot about them. you aren't too far above us then. LOL

Calvary had a buddy try to get there, couldn't swing it.
It takes a special kind of unhinged. Really have to love the suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
We had a cav battalion in my brigade. Lost the most guys.
Goes with the territory

Quote:

As a Noncom part of my job is unfucking new lieutenants. I dont really care how they get to me, just that their head aint too far up when they arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
If you're gonna go Army or Marines, I suggest you play Modern Warfare 1 & 2 as they are the most realistic simulators. These two games have trained thousands of "potential" males into war machines. I never leave home without my copies.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote