Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #61
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

Drewpy, just be sure to take what a recruiter tells you with a grain of salt and if they make you any promises be sure to get it in writing bc they will bend the truth or out-right lie, been there and done that.
Just needeed to make sure this was quoted and bolded for truth, justice and the american way of life
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #62
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Speaking as an enlisted man; if this is your sole or even primary reason for joining the service, please do not become an Army or Marine Corps officer.

I've answered to Army officers throughout my career, though I was enlisted in the Marine Corps and the Navy (the Army is too fucking big to avoid them). There are too goddamn many officers in general who very obviously joined for the wrong fucking reasons and never once stopped to consider the fact that they might be leading men in war. The Army and Marine Corps are the absolute wrong services to blunder in to a leadership position half-cocked, and apparently officer training doesn't do much in terms of teaching leadership traits to those who don't already have them.

If you're just looking for a job, join the Air Force. Maybe the Navy, though the benefits are absolutely better in the Air Force. For instance, they get extra pay for staying in other services' barracks because they consider it sub-standard housing.

If you want to be where the buck stops, if you want to be responsible for the action and lives of 30 people or more right out the gate, then be an Army officer. If you think you can put the needs of your men ahead of your own needs, but above all put the mission first, be an Army officer. Otherwise, as a favor to every enlisted man in the country, since apparently we can't keep from answering to the Army in one shape or form, stay the fuck out.
Couldn't have said it better, although I am also going with what Derf said in that your reasons for joining don't necessarily matter if you can do the job right.

That being said, there is a very good reason NCOs are assigned to officers - always listen to your NCOs. We are the assholes who have to put your "good" ideas into effect.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #63
Razor
Token

Moto: '07 Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
That being said, there is a very good reason NCOs are assigned to officers - always listen to your GOOD NCOs. We are the assholes who have to put your "good" ideas into effect.
Amended. so now, THIS! If you go in, make sure at your first assignment that you grab your shop NCOIC (Non-Commissioned Officer In Charge for you civvies) and the only words out of your mouth should be, "How do YOU do that, Why do YOU do that, how can I do that thing more like YOU"... never say "But I think we should do it this way, Thats not how they taught ME to do it, MY way is better"... You can become that guy once you have 10 years or so of experience at which time you may know about as much as your SNCO (Senior Non Commissioned Officer for non miltary types) has forgotten in his 18 or so plus years. You will be trained to be a leader, however before you can lead you first need to learn how to follow so pratice that for your first couple of years. Just make sure you grab a GOOD NCOIC or SNCO to learn from.

And when you do end up with troops of your own, don't treat them like shit unless they ask for it. You'll quickly find out who the goods one are and you will depend heavily on them, treat them like people and they will do anything for you, treat them like shit and they will quickly turn into troops who will only do the minimum expected of them. On the flip side, when it comes to slackers here's a hint: Boot goes to Ass, period, dot... however let their enlisted supervisors try and handle them first, if that doesnt work its not always a bad idea to make an example of someone... Just my 2 cent

And for God's sake man, obey the uniform regs (right Mr Lefty?)...
Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #64
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Definitely agree that starting a new family and a military career at the same time is a BAD idea.
I am going to agree with this. For some people expecting the military to be the saving grace and provide these super benefits and help the young couple stay together, it often turns to shit (divorce or just break up if not married) then never see your kid because you have to live where there is a base while the girl goes back home where you can't get assigned.

I know it may seem like a great option, but often times it makes every thing 1000000x harder than if you chose to stick it out at home where you may not get the benefits/pay.

Make sure this is what you both want.

Just remember, you could possibly be ripping this girl away from her family and friends. Then you aren't going to be home much while you are training for this brand new job and she won't have anyone to help or support her/help her with the baby when you are gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #65
Razor
Token

Moto: '07 Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition

Like Trip says, be sure she has an idea of what to expect from the military. Have her go to the recruiter with so she can ask questions of them if she has any. Have her talk to a spouse of a military member so that she can get a perspective from someone that is not military but has experience being a dependent of one. This way she can get the pros and cons of being a military wife instead of just the positive things so there are no nasty surprises...
Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #66
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Amended. so now, THIS! If you go in, make sure at your first assignment that you grab your shop NCOIC (Non-Commissioned Officer In Charge for you civvies) and the only words out of your mouth should be, "How do YOU do that, Why do YOU do that, how can I do that thing more like YOU"... never say "But I think we should do it this way, Thats not how they taught ME to do it, MY way is better"... You can become that guy once you have 10 years or so of experience at which time you may know about as much as your SNCO (Senior Non Commissioned Officer for non miltary types) has forgotten in his 18 or so plus years. You will be trained to be a leader, however before you can lead you first need to learn how to follow so pratice that for your first couple of years. Just make sure you grab a GOOD NCOIC or SNCO to learn from.

And when you do end up with troops of your own, don't treat them like shit unless they ask for it. You'll quickly find out who the goods one are and you will depend heavily on them, treat them like people and they will do anything for you, treat them like shit and they will quickly turn into troops who will only do the minimum expected of them. On the flip side, when it comes to slackers here's a hint: Boot goes to Ass, period, dot... however let their enlisted supervisors try and handle them first, if that doesnt work its not always a bad idea to make an example of someone... Just my 2 cent

And for God's sake man, obey the uniform regs (right Mr Lefty?)...
hell yes!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #67
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better, although I am also going with what Derf said in that your reasons for joining don't necessarily matter if you can do the job right.

That being said, there is a very good reason NCOs are assigned to officers - always listen to your NCOs. We are the assholes who have to put your "good" ideas into effect.
seriously, all your job entails is transport coffee over by me, crack a few jokes, transport it away, and take credit for my excellence. thats it.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #68
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
seriously, all your job entails is transport coffee over by me, crack a few jokes, transport it away, and take credit for my excellence. thats it.
Actually, my job entails telling tthe truck driver where to go, and watching you and him on BFT. :nee

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #69
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Actually, my job entails telling tthe truck driver where to go, and watching you and him on BFT. :nee
Why did I think you were legal?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #70
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

My M-F job entails checking over all subordinate units reports/inventories/etc before sending to higher, managing the GSA fleet, managing the state bus fleet, and coordinating all support requests from subordinate units, and units requesting equipment from my subordinates. Also, managing credit cards for all units, conducting annual inspections of their files and processes, and training in new hires as they come about.
All this so a Major can take credit for a job well done.

My M-day (weekend) job is Movement supervisor. So pretty much, if something is or has to move somewhere, it's my job to figure out how, and manage the move, and ensure that everything got there safely, and gets back to where it needs to go. Again, all so a Major can take credit...

Then there is State Active Duty. Here they throw me wherever the fuck they want, and I do anything from filling sandbags and driving truck, to "manning" the TOC and delivering meals to those too "busy" (i mean lazy) to walk to the kitchen and get them.

Fuck I'm under paid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote