Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

Default Smith .40 m&p

Anyone know anything about em? Im going into the police academy soon and want something reasonable to go in with and have afterwards. I was going to go glock they just don't fit in my hand correctly. Ive held but never fired one of these or any .40cal for that matter. Im looking to test one out in the next week or 2. Reviews or suggestions welcome.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...07&isFirearm=Y
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I love mine. Felt real comfortable when I picked it up... almost like it was meant for my hand and that's what sold me on it. I've got a few thousand rounds through it with nearly no issues. The one issue I did have was a single failure of a casing to eject, but that was POS Wolf round with steel casing. That said, I've run more than 500 others of the same variety without any issue.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

It was between that and the XD when I got mine. Went with the XD strictly off price. There really was no difference in them, both felt good in my hand, XD was about $100 cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I love mine. Felt real comfortable when I picked it up... almost like it was meant for my hand and that's what sold me on it. I've got a few thousand rounds through it with nearly no issues. The one issue I did have was a single failure of a casing to eject, but that was POS Wolf round with steel casing. That said, I've run more than 500 others of the same variety without any issue.
Thats exactly what i liked, felt like a glove and smooth uniform trigger pull.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Twobanger
Canyon Carver

http://pistol-training.com/archives/985

I only own H&Ks right now but I'm going to eventually get an M&P 9mm for Action Pistol and IDPA.

The handgun section of M4Carbine.net has a lot of discussion on the M&P platform.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35978

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35554
Twobanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

so i guess everyone thinks this gun is the second coming of jesus
Old 09-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

I think they learned what not to do with the Sigma and carried those lessons over in to designing the M&P. Never having shot an M&P I can't comment on that specific pistol but Smith and Wesson's customer service is pretty good. I suspect you will use the gun a lot so a lifetime warranty is pretty good to have, especially when S&W pays the shipping both ways.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

whatever i get i plan on keeping for a while, im gonna go shoot one in the next couple of weeks to decide if im going to buy it or not.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
goof2
AMA Supersport

I hadn't noticed that you were in California before. I assume whatever gun you buy will be subject to some stupid 10 round magazine limit. If that is the case have you held the .45 version yet? If the feel is pretty much the same I would get the .45 for myself. Personally I don't notice a whole lot of difference in recoil between my .40 and .45 and there isn't much difference in price between the two calibers here. The only benefit of the .40 to me would be extra magazine capacity, but that may be negated by the laws where you live.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #10
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

you have to show a need for anything over 10 rounds and generally need a signature fromt he police chief in said city, but leos can have regular mags. So i believe when i go through my background for the academy they will clear me and get some kind of paper work allowing me to buy extended mags. I may have to use the 10 rounders until then. Not a problem.

Main reason im going .40 is because i want a gunt hat i can go out and shoot cheaply int he acad. and still have it for protection afterward. I wanted something with more punch than the 9 but still wanna be able to be accurate at the range.