Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R
Default Dog Training types...question.

I have a question for anyone who may be able to help. My dog has gotten into the habit recently of waking me up in the middle of the night because he has to either pee or poo or both.

This just started happening within the last week or two. He wakes up, goes down stairs. I am a light sleeper so his jingling tags wake me up when he moves. He runs from the door to the bottom of the steps several times. I tell him to come back to the bedroom and tell him to lay down. He does, but only for a few minutes.

He repeats this. Then he'll stand on the edge of the bed to wake me up (he's not allowed on the bed or any furniture). Then he'll run from the edge of the bed to the top of the steps. Again, I tell him to lay down. He does, briefly.

This will go on until I finally get up and let him out. I usually wait a while, hoping he'll go back to sleep. At which point he sprints to the yard and does his business.

I've been trying to ignore him and make him go to sleep. But he will just keep at it all night. Eventually I get so fucking annoyed that I take him out, and after, he immediately goes back to sleep.

Does anyone have any advice or course of action? Kaneman? Anyone?

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Assuming you are letting him out before you go to bed, he should be able to hold it all night long at this age. Do you take him for regular walks during the day so he can burn some energy?

My dog wakes up at 5:30 every morning. I wish he'd sleep for another hour but it ain't happening. He'll claw at me until I get up and let him out. Usually after 5:30am I can go back to sleep for an hour.

Our schedule is pretty much like this:
5:30am - out to pee
5:31am - eat
5:32am - out to poo
8:30am - out to pee
12:30pm - out to pee
4:30pm - eat
4:31pm - out to poo and pee
7:30pm - out to pee
10:30pm - out to poo and pee.

Just get him on a regular schedule.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Krypt Keeper
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR1100XX, Daytona 600

Yep, my dog goes out just before we go to bed. She comes back in and sleeps till whenever the next morning. I leave for work at 6am and have seen her on the weekend sleep from 10pm at night to Noon the next day. Shes more like an over grown cat than a dog.
Krypt Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Assuming you are letting him out before you go to bed, he should be able to hold it all night long at this age. Do you take him for regular walks during the day so he can burn some energy?

My dog wakes up at 5:30 every morning. I wish he'd sleep for another hour but it ain't happening. He'll claw at me until I get up and let him out. Usually after 5:30am I can go back to sleep for an hour.

Our schedule is pretty much like this:
5:30am - out to pee
5:31am - eat
5:32am - out to poo
8:30am - out to pee
12:30pm - out to pee
4:30pm - eat
4:31pm - out to poo and pee
7:30pm - out to pee
10:30pm - out to poo and pee.

Just get him on a regular schedule.
Yeah, he always goes out right before bed. Usually around 11pm. He starts waking up to go out around 2am. He gets plenty of exercise, especially Sundays when we go to my wife's inlaws...he runs around, swims, etc. That shouldn't be the problem.

Like I said, he has just started doing this within the last week or so...but it's become every night. And he holds it all day while we are at work. And he's only 3.5 years old. This shouldn't be an issue.

He's always had basically the same schedule.

7:15am Up and out to pee, then eat, then back out to poo.
8:40am I leave for work, he pees before I leave.
Noon-ish some times I come home for lunch, sometimes not.
5pm wife gets home, he pees
5:30pm he eats then poos
11pm bedtime, pee again

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Your dog needs to piss. You can either take your chances and see if he,ll hold it and potentially clean a mess.

Or you can let him out.

But, if it is a new development, I'd worry about some kind of urinary infection.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Your dog needs to piss. You can either take your chances and see if he,ll hold it and potentially clean a mess.

Or you can let him out.

But, if it is a new development, I'd worry about some kind of urinary infection.
I know he needs to piss. He's not bluffing...fucker pees something fierce when he gets outside.

He'll hold it, but he's not gonna let me go back to sleep until he pees.

Quote:
Old 09-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Then I would think there's something wrong.

I've had stretches where I come home to shit right as soon as I walk through the door. And its always something medical. He's almost embarrassed that he's shit in the house.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I know he needs to piss. He's not bluffing...fucker pees something fierce when he gets outside.

He'll hold it, but he's not gonna let me go back to sleep until he pees.

Unless he just started drinkin a lot right before bed I'd wonder about a UTI as well...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Then I would think there's something wrong.

I've had stretches where I come home to shit right as soon as I walk through the door. And its always something medical. He's almost embarrassed that he's shit in the house.
Yeah I know what you mean. Last time he shit in the house he didn't go after breakfast. He wouldn't go and I had to leave for work. When I got home he was embarrassed, hiding behind the table. Guess he just couldn't hold it any longer.

Guess maybe I should call the Vet.

Quote:
Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
Rider
Moto GP Star

Watch his water intake. He he is suddenly drinking a lot more water, you may want to get him checked for canine diabetes.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote