Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n
Default Work frustrations

OK, so how many of you have issues with getting your jobs done, because some fucknut in the chain doesn't do his job? Rant away.

In my case, I receive work orders that are generated by our help desk. The people who work there, despite having a script that was prepared by one of my co-workers detailing all the requisite information needed to get the job done, continually fail to get even the most basic of information.

This morning, for instance, I received a work order for "The Student." No contact number, name, etc.. So which of the 40,000+ students should I assume this work is to be done for? They're constantly sending me to not just the wrong room, but the wrong BUILDING, because they're too lazy or stupid to confirm contact information. Given that they also don't bother to get a phone number half the time, that makes it pretty fun to figure out where people are.

Oh, and I also frequently end up going on site for issues that could have been handled over the phone, by helpdesk staff, in less time than it took to issue the work order in the first place. Nothing like making a client wait hours or days, when they could have something that works now.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I'm pretty lucky I guess. I dont really depend on anyone else to get my job done. With the exception of occasionally I need my boss to do something for me...which he takes forever to do and needs to be reminded several times. But it's usually a case of me not knowing how to use the program "Motion". That will change soon enough.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
OK, so how many of you have issues with getting your jobs done, because some fucknut in the chain doesn't do his job? Rant away.

In my case, I receive work orders that are generated by our help desk. The people who work there, despite having a script that was prepared by one of my co-workers detailing all the requisite information needed to get the job done, continually fail to get even the most basic of information.

This morning, for instance, I received a work order for "The Student." No contact number, name, etc.. So which of the 40,000+ students should I assume this work is to be done for? They're constantly sending me to not just the wrong room, but the wrong BUILDING, because they're too lazy or stupid to confirm contact information. Given that they also don't bother to get a phone number half the time, that makes it pretty fun to figure out where people are.

Oh, and I also frequently end up going on site for issues that could have been handled over the phone, by helpdesk staff, in less time than it took to issue the work order in the first place. Nothing like making a client wait hours or days, when they could have something that works now.
that's why most places refer to their "Help Desk" as the "Helpless Desk"

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

I'm in a different situation - I often have issues getting my job done not because of some idiot in the chain, but instead because of executives changing their minds all the time, changing direction and focus, etc. It can sometimes take a bunch of work I (we) spent on something and ball it up and toss it into the garbage can. Can be frustrating at times, but the nature of the tech business is dynamic, so it's kind of the norm.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
CasterTroy

Sounds like a reason to go postal one day on the helpess desk!!!!

My work depends on getting information gathered from clients by Architects.

Self absorbed "diva's" that hear: We need conditioned space, with adequate room for X amount of people to do [insert task or entertainment], but somehow that translates into a 3 level clearstory structural steel artistic masterpiece than can't incorporate ductwork or any unsightly grilles, yet must maintain year round conditioned temperature without the ugly unsightly units or hint of mechanical systems anywhere on THEIR artwork. Plus you must maintain the min amount of toilet facilities required, but we’re giving you a broom closet to supply that with hot water and piping.

What chaps MY ass more than a 3 ft flame, is the fact that these “Diva’s” have been doing this for 20+ years, hearing me say the SAME thing every project about needing more mechanical space, needing units on the roof, needing outside air requirements, and yet EVERY SINGLE TIME it’s a surprise.

Isn’t the definition of insanity performing the same tasks and expecting different results?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
I'm in a different situation - I often have issues getting my job done not because of some idiot in the chain, but instead because of executives changing their minds all the time, changing direction and focus, etc. It can sometimes take a bunch of work I (we) spent on something and ball it up and toss it into the garbage can.
I think that's why a lot of tech people have hobbies that involve building physical things... you just spend so much time at work designing and implementing stuff that gets wiped out in the blink of an eye by some random act of management

"We need more doorways, so we need a program to calculate commissions based on how many locations the agent brings in in a month"

Three months later

"We've got too many doorways that aren't making sales, so we need a program to calculate commissions based on revenue, and penalize the agents for underperforming doors"

Three months later (different management)

"The salesmen have been giving away the farm to high-volume clients, and we've got too many unprofitable doorways, so we need a program to calculate commissions based on profitability"

Three months later

"We're hemorrhaging clients. We need a program to ding the salesmen for accounts that last less than 90 days."

Three months later

"All of our outside sales reps have stopped bringing in new business, so we're cutting them loose and bringing on internal sales with a straight salary"

"We need more doorways, so we need a program to calculate commissions based on how many locations the agent brings in in a month"
Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
I think that's why a lot of tech people have hobbies that involve building physical things... you just spend so much time at work designing and implementing stuff that gets wiped out in the blink of an eye by some random act of management

Three months later

"We've got too many doorways that aren't making sales, so we need a program to calculate commissions based on revenue, and penalize the agents for underperforming doors"

"The salesmen have been giving away the farm to high-volume clients, and we've got too many unprofitable doorways, so we need a program to calculate commissions based on profitability"

Three months later

"We're hemorrhaging clients. We need a program to ding the salesmen for accounts that last less than 90 days."

Three months later

"All of our outside sales reps have stopped bringing in new business, so we're cutting them loose and bringing on internal sales with a straight salary"

unfortunately, this is all too familliar a story in any corporate environment.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Sounds like a reason to go postal one day on the helpess desk!!!!
I was accused of that by a senior helpdesk person once, simply because I would take fuck-ups directly back to the person who created them and say, "Fix it!" The result was that I was detailed to meet with said helpdesk senior person in order to detail the fuck-ups in detail, so that he could fix them.

I met with him once a week, with a laundry list of consistent mistakes made by his people, for 3 years by manager's mandate. I just stopped going one week, because nothing was ever fixed. He went to my manager and demanded that it continue because it was 'valuable information.' I went for another month and stopped again, with my manager's authorization.

Said person got busted down to phone jockey a couple of years back and is one of the worst for consistently screwing up, but to be honest the new manager isn't any better. He's numbers oriented and wants to crank through X number of calls per shift, rather than actually serving the clients.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I work with compitant people
Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I work with compitant people
So given that you're the one who can't spell, does that make you the company albatross?