Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Default The Douche Is At It Again!!!!

Okay, I keep looking at this fucking piece of shit and I can't make up my mind if I want it or not!!! I've been thinking about a GoProHD but you can get a bullet cam for $79 for this and have a 5'' display. Heck, you could use it for a rear facing camera in your minivan if you want...

It uses all the Android apps and UI, it's expandable to 32G, it's a GPS, plays video in 720p, mp3/4 player, has built in WiFi, blue tooth, etc, etc, etc

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...try=us&lang=en

Radio Shack is selling the 8G version for $249...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3843254

They also sell hard drive models that go up to 500G...the 250 model is only $299 but it doesn't use the Android system.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 12-28-2009 at 11:04 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

How big is the biggest flash drive version?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
How big is the biggest flash drive version?
Oh I originally posted all that but felt it was kinda long, so I posted the link instead... Anyway, it takes up to a 32G card I believe.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I just ordered the Archos 5 250gb for $190 off of amazon. The archos 5 & 7 are 7th generation. I have a 605 wifi (5th gen) and have the bullet cam. I'm praying that the adapter that plugs into the bottom will work with the new one but I have a feeling it wont.

The camera works fine. The problem I have is the bottom female and adapter male is like an ipod connection. Fits snug but there was just this little metal male/female thingt hat held it on. Secure but if the adapter got to moving then the video would "short" out. I had to use string around the whole thing the hold it on tight.

Radio shack had a sale on one of these. Wish the Ad didnt get thrown away.

*edit*

Amazon still has them for $190

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D0E4DA/?tag=slickdeals

Archos has the camera marked down to $80.

Last edited by Rangerscott; 12-29-2009 at 12:16 AM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Vids.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Does that thick plastic stay in front of your mouth when you're riding? That'd be awful painful in a get-off!
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I just ordered the Archos 5 250gb for $190 off of amazon. The archos 5 & 7 are 7th generation. I have a 605 wifi (5th gen) and have the bullet cam. I'm praying that the adapter that plugs into the bottom will work with the new one but I have a feeling it wont.

The camera works fine. The problem I have is the bottom female and adapter male is like an ipod connection. Fits snug but there was just this little metal male/female thingt hat held it on. Secure but if the adapter got to moving then the video would "short" out. I had to use string around the whole thing the hold it on tight.

Radio shack had a sale on one of these. Wish the Ad didnt get thrown away.

*edit*

Amazon still has them for $190

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D0E4DA/?tag=slickdeals

Archos has the camera marked down to $80.
The thing is that the 250G that is on sale is the non-android version which means that it also does not have the built in GPS. I'm not sure how good of an idea mounting a hard drive unit on my bike would be. Best Buy sells the entire line up.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....egories&ks=960

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 12-29-2009 at 12:30 AM..
Old 12-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Does that thick plastic stay in front of your mouth when you're riding? That'd be awful painful in a get-off!
I was wondering about that too...The camera up by my face would get on my nerves as well. I do like the remote aspect of the system though. I'd mount the panel where my GPS is now, the camera under the nose and the control somewhere I could get to it easily.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

I cut some of the back plastic on the pad, so the foam molds around the camera. I dont feel it. The plastic piece is the power/rec/mic. I'm sure you can take out the mic and solder it in its own housing. Its not much of a hassle were its at.

Archos website says this about the camera. "Compatible with ARCHOS 5 and 5G models only".

I've only heard bad things about the android model. Bugs and etc but I haven't gotten to fart with one. So no review from me.

I keep the device in my tank bag or in my jacket, so its not getting jerked around like it would if it was mounted to the bike.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I cut some of the back plastic on the pad, so the foam molds around the camera. I dont feel it.
You don't feel it when you're riding, but if you land on your head sometime you'll certainly feel it.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but those two pieces would put an awful lot of force on your temple and against your teeth and jaw in an accident. If I were you, I would consider an alternate mounting solution.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote