Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default Things you should know (according to CNN)about budget

Things you should know about budget

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Small businesses that hire new employees or boost wages would get a tax break
Funding for Pell grants to help college students would increase by $17 billion
President Obama would spend $734 million for full body scanners at airports
Washington (CNN) -- President Obama on Monday unveiled a $3.8 trillion budget for next year. Here are some key points. Remember, these are Obama's suggestions. Congress controls the purse strings.

Still a little extra in your paycheck

The Making Work Pay tax breaks would be extended for a year. These were part of last year's stimulus and resulted in slightly higher paychecks for 110 million families, the White House said.

More money for education

Obama wants $3 billion more for elementary and secondary education programs and $1.35 billion for his Race to the Top program. Pell grants, which help students pay for college, would increase by $17 billion.

Big-shovel items

The president is seeking more than $100 billion for state and local infrastructure projects and $4 billion for national and regional infrastructure work.

Debt reduction

The president's budget would reduce the nation's debt by $1.2 trillion over the next 10 years. Obama would let the Bush tax cuts expire for high-income families, impose a "financial crisis responsibility fee" on large banks and end fossil-fuel tax subsidies for oil, gas and coal companies. Discretionary spending that is not defense-related would get a three-year cap, saving $250 billion over the next 10 years. Read more

Big incentives for small business

Small businesses would get a $5,000 tax credit for every net new employee hired this year. Startups launched this year would be eligible to halve the tax credit. Businesses also would be reimbursed for Social Security taxes they pay on increased payrolls this year. Companies could earn the credit by raising pay or increasing hours worked. Read more

Defense

To pay for wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, Obama is seeking $33 billion in supplemental funds for this budget year and $159.3 billion for next year's. Funding for military families would increase 3 percent to $8.8 billion. The president would appropriate in advance $50.6 billion for veterans' medical care.

Research and development

Clean energy research and development would get $6 billion and civilian research and development would get an extra $3.7 billion.

Security at home

The administration seeks $734 million to install 1,000 new full body scanners at airports. Overall Department of Homeland Security funding would increase 2 percent to $43.6 billion.

What do you think about the budget?

Proposed budget savings

• Discontinue the program to build a repository for nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain, Nevada. Savings in 2011: $197 million

•End oil and gas company tax preferences. Savings in 2011: $2.6 billion. Over 10 years: $36.5 billion

• End coal subsidies. Savings over 10 years: $2.3 billion

• Terminate program to develop an alternative engine program for the Joint Strike Fighter. Savings in 2011: $465 million

• Terminate production of C-17 transport. Savings in 2010: $2.5 billion

• Cancel the Constellation Systems program intended to return astronauts to the moon by 2020. Savings per year: $2.5 billion to $5 billionRead more

• Eliminate subsidies to student loan providers and increase the Department of Education's capacity to make loans directly to students. Savings over 10 years: $43 billion

• Terminate program to build EP-X manned airborne intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft. Savings in 2011: $10 million

• End grants to manufacturers of worsted wool. Annual savings: $5 million

• Eliminate grant program for inter-city bus security. Annual savings: $12 million

• End competitive grant program for local communities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Savings in 2011: $10 million

• Terminate the Navy's Next Generation Cruiser. Savings in 2011: $46 million

• End Corps of Engineers low-priority construction projects. Savings in 2011: $214 million

• Terminate Christopher Columbus Fellowship Foundation, aimed at fostering "new discoveries in all fields of endeavor for the benefit of mankind." Savings in 2010: $1 million

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/...ex.html?hpt=T1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I thought this was going to be an article about Budget rentacar.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Proposed budget savings

• Discontinue the program to build a repository for nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain, Nevada. Savings in 2011: $197 million - dumb, where is the nuke waste gonna go?

•End oil and gas company tax preferences. Savings in 2011: $2.6 billion. Over 10 years: $36.5 billion - thanks I blame expensive gas on you mr prez

• End coal subsidies. Savings over 10 years: $2.3 billion - cool I'm down with this

• Terminate program to develop an alternative engine program for the Joint Strike Fighter. Savings in 2011: $465 million - cool I'm down with this

• Terminate production of C-17 transport. Savings in 2010: $2.5 billion - no the DoD is hurting for transport capabilities, and you want what?

• Cancel the Constellation Systems program intended to return astronauts to the moon by 2020. Savings per year: $2.5 billion to $5 billionRead more - Fuck you Obama, dipshitiest move, I think Palin just won my next vote

• Eliminate subsidies to student loan providers and increase the Department of Education's capacity to make loans directly to students. Savings over 10 years: $43 billion - hmmmmm interesting, so you want to cut the middleman, crazy idea

• Terminate program to build EP-X manned airborne intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft. Savings in 2011: $10 million - no opinion, its only 10mil

• End grants to manufacturers of worsted wool. Annual savings: $5 million - ok, its only 5 mil

• Eliminate grant program for inter-city bus security. Annual savings: $12 million - yeh you ride the bus now, tell me how safe you feel

• End competitive grant program for local communities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Savings in 2011: $10 million - is 10mil there to make me feel good?

• Terminate the Navy's Next Generation Cruiser. Savings in 2011: $46 million - i guess it could be good

• End Corps of Engineers low-priority construction projects. Savings in 2011: $214 million - which bridge is gonna collapse next, trust me these folks are not the most efficient people, I'm one of them, bad idea

• Terminate Christopher Columbus Fellowship Foundation, aimed at fostering "new discoveries in all fields of endeavor for the benefit of mankind." Savings in 2010: $1 million - is this supposed to make me feel good, like charging me $.99 because it is less than $1?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post

Discontinue the program to build a repository for nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain, Nevada. Savings in 2011: $197 million - dumb, where is the nuke waste gonna go?
Yucca is so locked down in NIMBY/HIPPY lawsuits, it's probably not a viable option anyway. Maybe we could send it to the moon?

Quote:
End oil and gas company tax preferences. Savings in 2011: $2.6 billion. Over 10 years: $36.5 billion - thanks I blame expensive gas on you mr prez

End coal subsidies. Savings over 10 years: $2.3 billion - cool I'm down with this
So high gas is bad, but you're OK with high electricity?

Quote:
Terminate program to develop an alternative engine program for the Joint Strike Fighter. Savings in 2011: $465 million - cool I'm down with this
Seriously. Pick a fucking engine already.

Quote:
Terminate production of C-17 transport. Savings in 2010: $2.5 billion - no the DoD is hurting for transport capabilities, and you want what?
The DoD has been trying to stop buying C-17's since 2007, but Congress people from California keep voting for the funding to make themselves look better at home. The Pentagon said they have plenty of cargo capacity with the C-17's they've already paid for, and the C-5's that are still in good shape. I think the Joint Chiefs probably know more about what they need, than Diane Feinstien.

Quote:
Cancel the Constellation Systems program intended to return astronauts to the moon by 2020. Savings per year: $2.5 billion to $5 billionRead more - Fuck you Obama, dipshitiest move, I think Palin just won my next vote
Fuck. There goes my moon idea.

Quote:
Eliminate subsidies to student loan providers and increase the Department of Education's capacity to make loans directly to students. Savings over 10 years: $43 billion - hmmmmm interesting, so you want to cut the middleman, crazy idea
Stop giving tax money to banks, so they can loan it back to us? Works for me.

Quote:
Terminate program to build EP-X manned airborne intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft. Savings in 2011: $10 million - no opinion, its only 10mil

End grants to manufacturers of worsted wool. Annual savings: $5 million - ok, its only 5 mil
Ten million here, five million there, pretty soon it starts to add up to real money.

Quote:
Eliminate grant program for inter-city bus security. Annual savings: $12 million - yeh you ride the bus now, tell me how safe you feel
Too many buses to make them all "safe".

Quote:
End competitive grant program for local communities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Savings in 2011: $10 million - is 10mil there to make me feel good?
I'm not sure what that's supposed to be.

Quote:
Terminate the Navy's Next Generation Cruiser. Savings in 2011: $46 million - i guess it could be good
The CG(X) has no air or ballistic missile defenses, so it's fucked anyway. Do not want.

Quote:
End Corps of Engineers low-priority construction projects. Savings in 2011: $214 million - which bridge is gonna collapse next, trust me these folks are not the most efficient people, I'm one of them, bad idea
Key words here are "low-priority".

JC
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Not OK with high electricity, coal is a bad energy source, it is only good because it is cheap, however if we were to have continued to build nuke and hydro electric plants in the 70's and 80's, this wouldnt be THE cheap alternative

Try flying mil air, and look at the limitations of the current fleet, many pilots are flying the planes their parents flew when they were in the airforce a generation early. Modern C17's are the answer, Amorok, care to chime in? IMHO, the DoD says that they have capabilities that they dont have all the time.

I spend $5 mil each year (in my work budget), are you gonna cut my budget? Trust me th gov pisses $5 mil into the toilet every day, 5 mil here, 10 mil there, its not gonna do shit, its just a big number (to the average joe) that is thrown around to make joe the plumber feel good. $5 mil is like you being happy you saved 5 cents on your grocery bill, that nickle aint doing shit except keeping your couch stocked with coins.

That bridge in MN that collapsed was considered low priority, it also had an imminent danger threat or something along that line, low priority to you and me vs low priority the corps of engineers are 2 very different versions of low priority. Their low priority is high cost to fix vs replace where my low priority is I dont expect people to die on their way to work.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Not OK with high electricity, coal is a bad energy source, it is only good because it is cheap, however if we were to have continued to build nuke and hydro electric plants in the 70's and 80's, this wouldnt be THE cheap alternative
Yes, but we didn't. I'm no fan of Coal at all. It's dirty, and strip mining, from an environmental stand point, is a fucking disaster.

Unfortunately, we still need coal, until some Country Western singer writes a hit song called, "I was born a Radiation Protection Technician's Daughter".

Quote:
Try flying mil air, and look at the limitations of the current fleet, many pilots are flying the planes their parents flew when they were in the airforce a generation early. Modern C17's are the answer, Amorok, care to chime in?
That's always been the case. They laid the keel of the first ship I served on, in 1944, and even in the late 70's, she was still one of the baddest motherfuckers in the fleet. If your kid grows up to be a pilot in the Air Force, he/she will be flying C-17s.

Quote:
IMHO, the DoD says that they have capabilities that they dont have all the time.
Well, as former and current military guys, I think we can all agree that Generals, generally speaking, are generally full of shit. However, we are in the middle of two wars, so if they wanted more C-17's, they could probably get them.

Quote:
I spend $5 mil each year (in my work budget), are you gonna cut my budget? Trust me th gov pisses $5 mil into the toilet every day, 5 mil here, 10 mil there, its not gonna do shit, its just a big number (to the average joe) that is thrown around to make joe the plumber feel good. $5 mil is like you being happy you saved 5 cents on your grocery bill, that nickle aint doing shit except keeping your couch stocked with coins.
That may be so, but I'm not in favor of wasting money in any amount.

Quote:
That bridge in MN that collapsed was considered low priority, it also had an imminent danger threat or something along that line, low priority to you and me vs low priority the corps of engineers are 2 very different versions of low priority. Their low priority is high cost to fix vs replace where my low priority is I dont expect people to die on their way to work.
If that's true, then we should stop giving money to the Corps of Engineers altogether, since they seem to suck at what they do.

JC
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
pauldun170
Serious Business

More C-17s are on the way and as AMJ mentioned they ordered more than they need. Whether they are allocated efficiently is in the hands of planners. what Gates is saying is thats it, stop adding on (Armed Services Committee just added another 9 or something like that)

The lines aren't going to be shut down because of other customers.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

So this isn't about Buget rentacar?
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
It was but then derf hijacked the thread.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Not until they start up-armoring them, and dropping them out of C-17's.

JC