Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default Jury duty

Well I survived and fulfilled my civic obligation but boy was it painful.

Go through orientation where they try to make it sound better than it laready is. Then I sit in a big auditorium for a good hour after that before we get called for a case.

They take about 30 of us into a room and the 2 lawyers tell us a bit about the case. Turns out its a civil case involving a motorcycle accident (at this point I figure i will be excused: I am an avid motorcyclist, I am an emergency medicine PA, and also worked in a no fault office for a few yrs so I know how seedy these guys are)

They take the first 6 people and one lawyer starts asking them questions, and it seems like its never going to end at this point. Couple of times the lawyers leave to go talk with the judge and were all WTF when is this going ot end. I akm getting annoyed because I am afraid I may have to come back today (and miss a double shift which I wont get paid for) and they said the trial was to start on tuesday (another double shift I would miss )

So its almost lunch time and the 2 lawyers went to the judge again and they were getting pissy with each other. So theyre gone for a good 20 minutes, I figured the judge cited them for contempt for being such fuckheads when this lady comes in and says were excused, we can wait and get our certificates for proof of service or if we wanted we could come back tomorrow.

Well you know my answer to that I got da fuk outta dodge

Funny thing was the woman sitting next to me was also a PA so at least I had someoen to talk to and she lives in my old town. So I am def glad i am done and didnt miss any shifts/loose any money so all is good.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Congratulations! Yeah, of course they make it sound awesome. It never is...
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
tommymac
Moto GP Star

I could se eit being interesting if youre on an interesting case, but these idiots were brutal to deal with in the selection porocess. When I heard more details of the case it made me happier to know I wont be selected. I was seeing what they were asking and kinda looking for so I had ideas for answers they wouldnt want to hear to make sure I wasnt a good candidate.

it beats resorting to telling them I hear voices or faking a seizure
Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I got a letter (at my parent's house) from the Sherriff quite a few months ago and my mother called me freaking out saying something bad was happening to me and I'd really done it now.

She asked if she could open the letter. Of course I said no because sometimes pissing her off is a small pleasure.

Ya, I was selected for Jury Duty but all I had to do was fill out a questionnaire and send it back in.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

i dont think ive ever had a summons. Or, if i did it was while i was deployed somewhere
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
i dont think ive ever had a summons. Or, if i did it was while i was deployed somewhere
my dad went as me once or twice when I lived at home. I was alway slisted as a student so iwould be exempt and he would want ot get out of work for a few days. Hes Sr and I am Jr but dont put JR on a lot of stuff so we neve rknew what mail is for who LOL
Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Racerboy
The Other White Meat

Moto: 1997 Cadillac Seville SLS

I was called 28 years ago when I was 18. My parents sent back the letter stating that I was in the Military and they took me out of the pool for over 20 years.

Fast forward to me moving to FL, once I registered and got my D/L here I was called 3 times in 3 years.

The first two times I spent the entire day sitting, waiting and nothing ever came of it, I was bored out of my mind and was learning to hate this system.

Enter time number 3. I was called in immediately, spent the bulk of the day in the voir dire getting drilled about my past, work history, drinking history, etc. It turns out the case was a Vietnamese man who had a translator with him who was charged with Vehicular Manslaughter. When it came down to the very end of the day, I was one of the jurors selected. They then asked us if we had any questions. I did. If this man was a licensed driver in the state of Florida who only speaks Vietnamese, how is it that he was able to become a licensed driver in a state that does not offer the testing in anything other than English, Spanish and French/Creole??

No one said a thing for like 10 seconds.

All of a sudden there is a commotion and a buzz in the court room, the lawyers talked to the judge and we were all dismissed. The guy started speaking English, no longer needed a translator, and copped a plea while we were in the jurors waiting room. It was very cool.

Have not been selected since.

www.CheckeredFlagOils.com
954-975-BIKE (2453)
623-850-1OIL (1645)
Racerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Never been summoned for JD.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
my dad went as me once or twice when I lived at home. I was alway slisted as a student so iwould be exempt and he would want ot get out of work for a few days. Hes Sr and I am Jr but dont put JR on a lot of stuff so we neve rknew what mail is for who LOL
me and my dad are same name different middle. They didnt want to saddle me with the jr title
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
me and my dad are same name different middle. They didnt want to saddle me with the jr title
my dad wanted to name me shamus so Iiwll take the Jr over that