Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Default BlackBerry OWNED

Why BlackBerry Users Will Defect
by Mike Schuster
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
provided by MarketWatch

Despite bells and whistles, the device misses the 'fun factor.'

Call it a matter of touch-screen envy, but many BlackBerry users are starting to feel the 24-month-contract itch.

And they're willing to switch to Apple Inc.'s (AAPL) iPhone or Google Inc.'s (GOOG) Nexus One, according to a recent study.

Conducted by the online market researchers Crowd Science, the survey results show that Research in Motion (RIMM) BlackBerry users are more likely to abandon the brand than iPhone or Android users. When asked of the likelihood of buying a particular brand of cell phone or smartphone if the purchase was made the following day, 39% of BlackBerry owners said they "definitely or probably would" nab an iPhone. And roughly one-third of the participants claimed they'd snatch up an Android phone.

Meanwhile, the fierce Google-Apple war seems to have bled into the user base.

An overwhelming majority of iPhone users -- 92% -- would likely stay loyal to the Apple device, and only a tad fewer Android owners -- 87% -- made a similar claim.

However, Apple zealots who unleash a fervent hatred for opposing teams may have met their indignant match. While 15% of iPhone users "definitely or probably would not" recommend an Android device, a whopping 45% of Android users would never dare give Steve Jobs' baby a thumbs up. Whether that's a product of outsider's scorn or buyer's remorse, the study didn't pose the question.

But as the battle between Apple and Google rages on, BlackBerry users look on with a degree of envy.

Despite commanding a hefty lead over the iPhone in the smartphone market share -- 42% versus 25%, respectively -- the numbers for RIM have begun to drop, along with Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows Mobile and Palm (PALM).

According to comScore, RIM's market share dropped a percentage point in the fourth quarter of 2009 from the third quarter, and Apple's rose 1.2%. PCWorld's Tony Bradley calculated that, given the same rate of rise and decline, Apple could surpass RIMM's market share by February 2012. And buoyed by the success of the Motorola (MOT) Droid, Android showed the biggest gains -- rising 2.7% to 5.2%.

Crowd Science Chief Executive John Martin addressed the study in the company blog. "These results show that the restlessness of BlackBerry users with their current brand hasn't just been driven by the allure of iPhone." He added, "Rather, BlackBerry as a brand just isn't garnering the loyalty seen with other mobile operating systems."

So what's the allure of the competitors? Why are BlackBerry users more willing to jump ship?

BlackBerry has long been the choice of tech-savvy executives who are wirelessly tethered to their jobs. But as evidenced in the study, only 7% of BlackBerry owners still use their device exclusively for work. For years, the smartphone has ceased to be merely associated with work -- an evolution that Apple played a large role in influencing. However, the BlackBerrys, the Palm Treos, and the Windows Mobile devices never successfully adopted the veneer of "recreational smartphones" nearly as well as Apple or Android.

Put simply, iPhones, Droids, and Nexus Ones just look like more fun. And as the "fun factor" became a significant reason why smartphones became as popular as they did, any manufacturer still focusing on the business aspects fell out of favor with users.

What's the appeal of a physical keyboard if the iPhone can remember where you parked? Why use Microsoft Exchange when the Droid works seamlessly with Gmail -- a service more businesses are using anyway? Is there a point to waiting for a BlackBerry version of an app that has dozens of variants available in the App Store or Android Market?

Unless a new BlackBerry device sheds the brand's stodgy work image, RIMM is going to miss out on all the fun -- and customers.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I am one of those users waiting desperately for the Nexus One to come out on Verizon so I can dump the Blackberry Storm. It's a piece of shit.

My wife's Storm 2 is nicer, but it's still a lot of the same crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

IDK... I have played with both iphone and android platform... I'll keep my BB

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

they've turned into Toyota and Honda - building safe instead of innovative.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I actually agree with this article. I had absolutely no need, use or desire for a smart phone but I have to admit that I was brought in by all of the other stuff you can do with my phone.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I actually agree with this article. I had absolutely no need, use or desire for a smart phone but I have to admit that I was brought in by all of the other stuff you can do with my phone.
this

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

once i get back from Africa this summer, I will be defecting from the BB to either the iphone or the nexus one...hopefully the nexus will be available on ATT, if not its the iphone for me

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb View Post
once i get back from Africa this summer, I will be defecting from the BB to either the iphone or the nexus one...hopefully the nexus will be available on ATT, if not its the iphone for me
Already available.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

well that about sums it up then...nexus one it is!

or maybe i'll just stick with the apple products, we'll see. but from my limited thumbing around on the nexus i kinda like that one a little more

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb View Post
Is ATT's service better where you live? Because otherwise I can't think of any reason why you'd want them. They are weaksauce IMO......

Tons of dropped calls indoors.
1-2 second delay between when you speak and when the other person hears you.
People leave you messages but no flag appears for hours.
Have to reboot to get the correct time after landing in another time zone, etc.

Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote