Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09
Default property line - what would you do?

so here's the set up:
bought my place 3 1/2 years ago. realtor said prop line was the poles on the corners. ok.
guy who owns the land around me rents it out to a farmer. right down the line between the properties is a trail that they use to get the tractors in the fields.
when we first moved in I asked the farmer's nephew 23 yrs old or so, not to cross my land with implements. told him i was going to put trees around the line anyway so he may as well get used to going around. soon after i caught cutting across my yard with a pick up truck. he claimed it saved him time not to have to make the corner around the pole.
I was pretty understanding when they brought in trailers and what not but not a pick up. beside normally they would just nick the corner, he was cutting right through the middle.
so this spring I put in the trees. he started whining about the turn to the field. got me to thinking, I don't want the trees to close to the line so I pulled out the plat of my land. hmmm it looks like john farmer may have moved the pole quite sometime ago and everyone has let him use what is now my land for his trail.
so here's the question, should I get the land surveyed properly and then make him move his trail, or should I just let it go, or should I make sure he is aware that he is using my land but still allow him to do it.
I am not really doing anything with that little strip of land, although I could have put my trees further over.

what would you do?
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I would have it surveyed. If he has been using your land to travel back and forth he may have created an easement, meaning that he gets free use of your land for this purpose against your wishes.

Get it straightened out now.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I would have it surveyed. If he has been using your land to travel back and forth he may have created an easement, meaning that he gets free use of your land for this purpose against your wishes.

Agreed, in fact it might already be too late if he can prove that he has been using it for years. Get it surveyed now and take control of the part he is using.

The other thing on your mind should be your relationship with your neighbor. What will happen if you take over the land again? will he accidentally run over some trees and knock them down? Have an oil leak that kills all your grass?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:

A public utility can create an easement, but a private party would need your permission, unless they made an agreement on an easement with the former owners of the property.

A private easement would be shown in the property documents. If not, it's tough shit for tractor boy.

Survey Says: Get a survey.

JC
Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

You absolutely need to get it resolved right now. There have been instances in the past where there have been property line disputes on both sides, where the courts have ruled in favor of the "commonly accepted boundary", i.e. fenceline, posts, etc. that were in place on the ground. I have been involved in this part of the process, and it can happen.

You need to re-establish those monuments asap, or you very well may *lose* that strip of land in the future.

And Derf, as far as relationship with the neighbor, the neighbor doesn't seem to concerned about his relationship with wildchild.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

Land issues are interesting. Protect yourself ASAP. After you have it surveyed and everyone agrees it is your property THEN and only THEN would I consider letting anyone use it for an easement.
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzergirl View Post
Land issues are interesting. Protect yourself ASAP. After you have it surveyed and everyone agrees it is your property THEN and only THEN would I consider letting anyone use it for an easement.
This
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
stermp66
Couch Rocket Rider

Moto: 2007 GL1800

Check your deed to the property if there is an easement (trail) to the property it will be documented in your deed. Even if it is still get the property surveyed to find where your lines are as realtors and prior home owners tend to stretch the lines to make it more appealling to a buyer.
stermp66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Quote:

This.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Get your property surveyed this week, don't put it off. Once you know where the boundary is, then have a discussion with your neighbor and come to some sort of settlement.