Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default Big time marathon shift

Poor tom is realy in for the long haul now

I ma covering 1st-3rd shift at the jobsite today. Then have to stay here till around 5 tomorrow, shoot home to shower and clean up then off to the ER for a shift there.

They started needing us on 3rd shift for a few weeks so it was a scramble to cover it all. We go tthe shifts covered but a few of us are taking a beating with all the hrs we need to cover ( I am prety much the second in command of the medical group so thats the price I have to pay)

We prety much sleep most of the 3rd shift anyway, the safety guy will wake me up around 5:30 so I can clean up before people start arriving for the day shift.

So wish me luck on this one.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Bro, how is that shit even legal? Doesn't seems safe. And why do they "need" you on 3rd if you can just sleep. Doesn't seem like much need is there to me.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Bro, how is that shit even legal? Doesn't seems safe. And why do they "need" you on 3rd if you can just sleep. Doesn't seem like much need is there to me.
if they have X amount of people on site they want one of us here. They increased the workforce for a certain project they can only do off hours. I kinda voiced my opinion on all this since Iusualy work tuesdays till 11 then am back here at 7 on wednesdays anyway so instead of going home I just crash here.

We had to do it while in school when we took call, work a 24 then cover most of the shift the following day, and a lot of residency programs still do it when taking call.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i have to kind of agree with Marko on this one. Kind of scary that you could go in ER and be seen by someone who hasn't had a good sleep in 48 hrs or so. I know you guys are pretty well conditioned for it but man that's a lot of hours dude.
take it easy, oh and remember measure twice and cut once. LOL
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
i have to kind of agree with Marko on this one. Kind of scary that you could go in ER and be seen by someone who hasn't had a good sleep in 48 hrs or so. I know you guys are pretty well conditioned for it but man that's a lot of hours dude.
take it easy, oh and remember measure twice and cut once. LOL
Will do, when I am feeling kinda tired I slow it down a bit, if I can snag 4 or 5 hrs here it will prety much be the same as what I do most tues/wed just wont be sleeping in my own bed. We got sleeping bags and pillows and stuf fhere so we can be comfortable at least.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

That's so incredibly fucked up on many levels.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

I remember watching Dateline and they had a story about this. They said it is not uncommon for doctors starting out to work 36 hour shifts. they do get to sleep in little naps here and there, but I agree, that can't be safe.

Do you know why they do that, instead of more normal shift work, tommy?

Truck drivers are only allowed on the road for 8-10 hours at a time.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
I remember watching Dateline and they had a story about this. They said it is not uncommon for doctors starting out to work 36 hour shifts. they do get to sleep in little naps here and there, but I agree, that can't be safe.

Do you know why they do that, instead of more normal shift work, tommy?

Truck drivers are only allowed on the road for 8-10 hours at a time.
Not sure why but part of it now is the old boys club. I did it as a resident so you have to is the whole take on it. there was a crackdown on it a few yrs ago but I think it kinda went back to the way it was previously. I see it in the ER with some of the specialties we consult, and some of these poor bastids are running their asses off the entire shift. The ER residents have it prety easy since all they do is shift work, no call or anything like that which is nice.

At least here its prety chill, I may see 3 or 4 pts at the most between today and tomorrow. Then have good people on in the ER so it shouldnt be bad.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

so are you still making through your day?
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
so are you still making through your day?
So far so good, Got about 5 hrs of sleep last night and should get out of here around 4. I have som epaperwork and stuff to do which is a good thing today, just kinda keep me busy.

They have me scheduled to do the same thing next week but word is the 3rd shift will be done monday so you wont get any complaints out of me on that one.

I also looked at the ER schedule, I am relieving a so so PA at 9 but on eof our best ones is with me till 11. I have a kickass attending with me till 2 and our director is on the overnight with me and hes great to work with too so things are looking good in that sense.