Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default Computer screens.

So my family has run into some bad luck of recent. We think my dad is haunting us and pushing shit off of shelves. (no joke)

So the other night I was watching some bike videos on youtube, and the phone rang. I walked away for 4 minutes to take the call, and in the time it took me to get back, some books and binders slid off the top shelf of my desk, on to my laptop and knocked it onto the floor. Screen cracked . So now I am looking for a replacement screen and have run across some questions.

The specs on the computer show a resolution of 1200x800. Almost 99% of the replacement screens on the internet are 1280x800. I found one that was the original resolution but it was more than the cost of the laptop. Fcuk that!

So my question to you computer junkies is... Will that difference in resolution affect the picture at all. And will it even be noticable by the naked eye???

Thanks!
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
Switch
dadbod

1280x800 is a better resolution. Your video card will adjust and keep everything in perspective.

FWIW, this is the resolution I use (1920x1080) when I have my laptop "docked" (see attachment)
Attached Images
File Type: png reso.png (129.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Lol @ ghosts i dont believe in them.

(until i turn the lights off)

just buy any standard widescreen monitor it'll work fine. Its a universal thing. unless you have a HD video card theres really no point to upgrade to 1080p.

:edit: kyles a gay nerd w/ a weak machine.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
So my family has run into some bad luck of recent. We think my dad is haunting us and pushing shit off of shelves. (no joke)

So the other night I was watching some bike videos on youtube, and the phone rang. I walked away for 4 minutes to take the call, and in the time it took me to get back, some books and binders slid off the top shelf of my desk, on to my laptop and knocked it onto the floor. Screen cracked . So now I am looking for a replacement screen and have run across some questions.

The specs on the computer show a resolution of 1200x800. Almost 99% of the replacement screens on the internet are 1280x800. I found one that was the original resolution but it was more than the cost of the laptop. Fcuk that!

So my question to you computer junkies is... Will that difference in resolution affect the picture at all. And will it even be noticable by the naked eye???

Thanks!
Chop, just to be clear you are replacing the actual screen on the laptop? Not looking for a desktop screen to plug into it?

If its the former its usually best to search for your model of lappy on ebay or craigslist and either grab a used screen or whole lappy for parts. I kept my gateway m500 going for years this way.

If you are hellbent in finding another brand that fits. Pull the stocker before you buy and make sure you have exact measurements and confirmation that the replacement part has the same type of connector. Good luck!
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

lol

laptop, wat?
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
Switch
dadbod

Oooooh, you want a new laptop screen. Check the max resolution your video card supports.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

I'd call Geek Squad...and Annie Potts.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Chop, just to be clear you are replacing the actual screen on the laptop? Not looking for a desktop screen to plug into it?

If its the former its usually best to search for your model of lappy on ebay or craigslist and either grab a used screen or whole lappy for parts. I kept my gateway m500 going for years this way.

If you are hellbent in finding another brand that fits. Pull the stocker before you buy and make sure you have exact measurements and confirmation that the replacement part has the same type of connector. Good luck!
Yea, im just replacing the cracked screen. Everything else I tested works. The screens that are on ebay say that they directly replace the stock screen. The TFT, WXGA, and everything else is the same. Just the the width is 1280 instead of 1200.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:52 AM   #9
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

What size screen?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
Switch
dadbod

You should be fine dude. Do it.