Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar
Default Kaneman

So I was reading your "little ride" thread over at ADV... and wondered... what ever happened with your VStrom?

if it's in that thread sorry I missed it... the ignorance that spilled over in that place made my head hurt so I just scrolled to the pictures
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Zoomie's Ducati sprayed oil in front of it during a rainstorm with Rogue on the back. Totalled. :_(

Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Zoomie's Ducati sprayed oil in front of it during a rainstorm with Rogue on the back. Totalled. :_(

ahh... see I was thinking that's what happened but saw in that thread you talking about having a bad experience in rain and was just working through it... so wasn't sure if that wreck was before or after the trip.
looking for

so how many miles did ya have on the VStrom? I'm looking at picking one up... and just want some long distance experience advice.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

It wasnt really zoomie's fault, I just straight up hydro planed. It had like 25k miles on it I think, and they were really hard miles.long days, off roading, a few crashes... That bike never faltered, and I'd be proud to own another.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Think the 650 would be more my size... but not totally sure yet. I've never been one for needing any more power than a 600 could provide...and anything more than my DRZ is gonna feel like a Turbo!

so why the magna then?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Upright seating positions were making my balls go numb...pretty scary actually!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Old 06-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Start supplementing with test injections. Your nutz will shrink. You will probably need to anyway someday as smoking pot lowers test levels.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
ahh... see I was thinking that's what happened but saw in that thread you talking about having a bad experience in rain and was just working through it... so wasn't sure if that wreck was before or after the trip.

so how many miles did ya have on the VStrom? I'm looking at picking one up... and just want some long distance experience advice.
Get the crash bars and buy some pegs that mount to the crash bars to give you a little relief on the long hauls. You will definitely want them, I know I do. You can also put a 1000 seat on the 650 to raise the seat height and distance to the pegs. Might want to get a riser for the handlebars, especially as tall as you are. I'm shorter, so got the riser that is angled, which raises the bars an inch, while also moving them back an inch.

Quote:
A different seat might help that. Get one with tampon wings like trips so it supports you at the ass, instead of sitting on your balls. I'm considering it, but have some bike shorts with some padding that definitely help on the long hauls.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Get the crash bars and buy some pegs that mount to the crash bars to give you a little relief on the long hauls. You will definitely want them, I know I do. You can also put a 1000 seat on the 650 to raise the seat height and distance to the pegs. Might want to get a riser for the handlebars, especially as tall as you are. I'm shorter, so got the riser that is angled, which raises the bars an inch, while also moving them back an inch.

A different seat might help that. Get one with tampon wings like trips so it supports you at the ass, instead of sitting on your balls. I'm considering it, but have some bike shorts with some padding that definitely help on the long hauls.
To be honest... the seat and windshield were the only parts of the DRZ (other than running the motor so high in it's range) that were uncomfortable.

the highway pegs are something I've thought about... but definitely a "pleasure" purchase and not a "must"

and damn if the SV was vibrating your nuts... you don't want to ride my DRZ!!!