Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R
Default There is a Hell....Dixie Stampede

Ok, for those of you who may not know, here is the lowdown. There is this show in Pigeon Forge, TN, called the Dixie Stampede. It is one of those god awful tourist traps of the Great Smokey Mountains. It is a dinner show in a horse arena. Now granted, there are some talented riders and well trained horses. But beyond that, it was terrible.

First, why did I go? I have been hearing from friends for years, "DS is an amazing show with great food. You gotta go, blah, blah, blah." Well this year, my MIL offered to buy the tickets. So, what the hell, I'll take a free meal.

Ok, the wifey and I hate country music of any fashion. So we get to the "pre-show" (read: get the people there early to buy popcorn and sodas before the meal) Oh, and there was NO alcohol at this event. But I digress. We get to the pre-show and find that it is nothing more than a barn-type auditorium with bluegrass performers on stage. My wife and I immediately start texting death threats to our friends and family who recommended this.

After 30 minutes of the banjo torment (which included the blugrass versions of Aerosmith and Guns & Roses), we move to the main arena. This place seats about 1100 and is packed. As we anxiously await our "wonderful" meal, our server informs us that there are no utensils at this event. W...T...F????? Now I've read the menu, and I didn't expect to be eating with my fingers.

Our meal consists of soup (in a bowl with a handle for drinking), biscuits, a cornish hen, half of a baked potato, one slice of pork loin, and an apple turnover. All in all, the food was good.

The show is a civil war theme. I know a lot of people that get into that, but I don't. They divide the audience into North and South. The performers compete in different events on horseback in order to capture flags for their respective sides while the audience cheers for its respective side. My 7 year old really enjoyed being able to yell and scream at the top of her lungs (this is the ONLY high point of the event). As long as she is having fun, I can live through it.

So after about an hour and a half of this it ends. We made it through. It was over...or so I thought.

About 6 am the next morning I have the distinct feeling in my stomach that I had too much to drink the night before. No problem. Wait, I only had one beer last night. Hmmm weird. I fall back to sleep. At 8:00 a.m. I bound for the bathroom and begin violently puking. I'm talking about vomitting until I thought I would see my shoes in the toilet.

After 2 hours of this, I know that I'm gonna need a doctor. I've done this before. So I call the front desk and ask where the nearest walk in clinic is. Great, it is just down the road.

I sign in and ask the woman, "Do you treat food poisoning" She replies, "Yes" So I take my seat in the waiting room. For the next hour, I run back and forth to the restroom. Yes, the vomitting has passed, but the diarrhea fun has just begun. Finally, they call me back. After being questioned briefly, the nurse informs me that they can't administer IV fluids at this clinic. What? But the receptionist told me... Seriously, I was too ill to even blow up at this woman. She gave me directions to the nearest hospital. On the road again.

The hospital is 5 miles away. After stopping for a restroom at the Sunoco, I make it.

After another hour in agony, I get back into a room. Two bags of fluid and 4 hours later, I get to head back to the hotel where my wife and daughter had been stranded all day because I had the car. Luckily, they hung out at the pool and made some new friends.

So, no matter what your religion I can assure you that there is a hell. It is called Dixie Stampede.

Now I just need a T-shirt that says, "I went to Dixie Stampede and all I got was Food Poisoning"
Old 07-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Not even free tickets would get me to a show like that.

We go to Pigeon Forge every year when I go down to the Gap. I'm amazed at the CRAP that goes on there.

At least you got a cool story?
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
shmike
Follower

Sorry to hear about the food poisoning.

I've never heard of going to a doctor because of it though. Does it help you recover faster?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

Yeah, due to the extreme dehydration. The IV fluids are wonderful
Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I've never heard of going to a doctor because of it though. Does it help you recover faster?
Ditto. I've had it and never went to a doctor or felt the need to. Just drank lots of fluids.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic...but dude, seriously?! A Dixie Jamboree...smack in the middle of the absolute worst tourist hell in all of America?

You HAD to have seen that shit (no pun intended) coming....
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Pigeon forge sucks lol
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Sounds like the frontier version of Medieval Times...sorry you had such a bad time hun.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I've lived in the south all of my live well except for some time spent overseas and have been to/thru Pigeon Forge and also to Myrtle Beach, SC many times where I think they have a Dixie Stampede as well and still have NEVER ventured in there and probably still won't.

Hate that you got sick but I just have zero desire to go. Yes I've heard that it is decent to go to but we're not in to country music either for starters.

Now 'Medieval Times' that Chi mentioned might be something we'd give a shot...we do like 'Medieval type stuff'.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

The Chi is right, Dixie Stampede is a redneck version of medieval times. I could of told you that if you asked me.

Medieval Times sucks just as much as Dixie Stampede. Food is awful and so is the "tournament."

Just be glad your daughter didn't get molested. There was a big arrest over there for that.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote