Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Default High-Fructose Corn Sugar wants a name change......lmao

One for Avatard....

Corn syrup producers want sweeter name: "corn sugar"
By EMILY FREDRIX, AP Marketing Writer Emily Fredrix, Ap Marketing Writer 39 mins ago

NEW YORK – The makers of high fructose corn syrup want to sweeten its image with a new name: corn sugar.

The Corn Refiners Association applied Tuesday to the federal government for permission to use the name on food labels. The group hopes a new name will ease confusion about the sweetener, which is used in soft drinks, bread, cereal and other products.

Americans' consumption of corn syrup has fallen to a 20-year low on consumer concerns that it is more harmful or more likely to cause obesity than ordinary sugar, perceptions for which there is little scientific evidence.

However, some scientists have linked consumption of full-calorie soda — the vast majority of which is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup — to obesity.

The Food and Drug Administration could take two years to decide on the name, but that's not stopping the industry from using the term now in advertising.

There's a new online marketing campaign at http://www.cornsugar.com and on television. Two new commercials try to alleviate shopper confusion, showing people who say they now understand that "whether it's corn sugar or cane sugar, your body can't tell the difference. Sugar is sugar."

Renaming products has succeeded before. For example, low eurcic acid rapeseed oil became much more popular after becoming "canola oil" in 1988. Prunes tried to shed a stodgy image by becoming "dried plums" in 2000.

The new name would help people understand the sweetener, said Audrae Erickson, president of the Washington-based group.

"It has been highly disparaged and highly misunderstood," she said. She declined to say how much the campaign costs.

Sugar and high fructose corn syrup are nutritionally the same, and there's no evidence that the sweetener is any worse for the body than sugar, said Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. The bottom line is people should consume less of all sugars, Jacobson said.

"Soda pop sweetened with sugar is every bit as conducive to obesity as soda pop sweetened with high fructose corn syrup," he said.

The American Medical Association says there's not enough evidence yet to restrict the use of high fructose corn syrup, although it wants more research.

Still, Americans increasingly are blaming high fructose corn syrup and avoiding it. First lady Michelle Obama has said she does not want her daughters eating it.

Parents such as Joan Leib scan ingredient labels and will not buy anything with it. The mother of two in Somerville, Mass., has been avoiding the sweetener for about a year to reduce sweeteners in her family's diet.

"I found it in things that you would never think needed it, or should have it," said Leib, 36. "I found it in jars of pickles, in English muffins and bread. Why do we need extra sweeteners?"

Many companies are responding by removing it from their products. Last month, Sara Lee switched to sugar in two of its breads. Gatorade, Snapple and Hunt's Ketchup very publicly switched to sugar in the past two years.

The average American ate 35.7 pounds of high fructose corn syrup last year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That's down 21 percent from 45.4 pounds 10 years before.

Cane and beet sugar, meanwhile, have hovered around 44 pounds per person per year since the mid-1980s, after falling rapidly in the 1970s, when high fructose corn syrup — a cheaper alternative to sugar — gained favor with soft drink makers.

With sales falling in the U.S., the industry is growing in emerging markets like Mexico, and revenue has been steady at $3 billion to $4 billion a year, said Credit Suisse senior analyst Robert Moskow. There are five manufacturers in the U.S.: Archer Daniels Midland Inc., Corn Products International, Cargill, Roquette America, and Tate & Lyle.

Corn refiners say their new name better describes the sweetener.

"The name 'corn sugar' more accurately reflects the source of the food (corn), identifies the basic nature of the food (a sugar), and discloses the food's function (a sweetener)," the petition said.

Will shoppers swallow the new name?

The public is skeptical, so the move will be met with criticism, said Tim Calkins, a marketing professor at Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.

"This isn't all that much different from any of the negative brands trying to embrace new brand names," he said, adding the change is similar to what ValuJet — whose name was tarnished by a deadly crash in 1996 — did when it bought AirTran's fleet and took on its name.

"They're not saying this is a healthy vitamin, or health product," he said. "They're just trying to move away from the negative associations."
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Ahhh, I dont know why I am obese, I only drink one 64 oz soda with each meal...Must bethat corn syrup...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

HFCS is way way way worse than cane sugar. I don't give a fuck what they call but lets at least be honest about how bad it is for you rather than try to cover it up with a name change.

Last edited by Rider; 09-14-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
HFCS is way way way worse than cane sugar. I don't give a fuck what they call but lets at least be honest about how bad it is for you rather than try to cover it up with a name change.
why the fuck do u keep deleting yoru avatar?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
why the fuck do u keep deleting yoru avatar?
Are you that fucking oblivious? I haven't had an avy on months.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

High fructose corn syrup wants to change its name to corn sugar? Does that mean that in addition to all the bad heart killing and fat growing shit it already does to me its gonna rot my teeth out and make me a diabetic too?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Oh brother.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Sounds like they want to change the name in order to get their sales back up.

I guess... Except it's the same product which causes the same problems. That might be good for an extra 3% increase until the sheople realize they got the ol' bait n switch pulled on them. And they go right back to realizing it's bad and cutting back their intake.

If they want to do some real good, they need to change the product. Not just the name.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

No sympathy for that group, with all the bullshit federal subsidies they get.