Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic
Thumbs down Georgia State Justifies Motorcycle Checkpoints

Georgia State Justifies Motorcycle Checkpoints (Locations Disclosed) from Cyrils Blog

Quote:
The Georgia Department of Public Safety (DPS) has received a grant from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to collect data over the next two years to improve motorcycle safety. The $70,000 grant will be used to conduct six, one-day safety checkpoints between March 1 of this year and December 31, 2012.

Lt. Colonel Mark McDonough, DPS Deputy Commissioner, said that Georgia saw a sharp increase in the number of fatal crashes involving motorcyclists between 2005 and 2008 as the number of motorcycles registered in the state reached an all-time high. There were 167 motorcycle operators or passengers killed in crashes in 2008. He said Georgia State Patrol launched specialized patrols that included aviation support during the summer months when weekend motorcycle traffic is the heaviest. The enforcement effort along metro Atlanta interstates is focused on motorcycle operators traveling at a high rate of speed, weaving in and out of traffic, traveling in the emergency lane, or driving recklessly around other vehicles.

“The first step in reducing motorcycle deaths was the educating of all drivers of the dangers motorcyclists face on our roads, and now the next step will combine enforcement and education to enhance the safety of motorcycle operators and passengers,” he said. “We will be checking to make sure the operator has the proper class of license to operate a motorcycle and a DOT-approved helmet. We will also check that the motorcycle is in good operating condition with good tires, a headlight, and a taillight that is working.” The Lt. Colonel said troopers will be concentrating on the basic violations to protect the operator and passenger in the event of a crash and minimize the injuries they sustain.

The first safety checkpoints of 2011 will be conducted Wednesday, March 9 from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. along Interstate 75 at the Southbound Commercial Vehicle Inspection Station in Monroe County. During the same time period, another checkpoint will be established at the Southbound Commercial Vehicle Inspection Station along I-95 in Chatham County, north of Savannah.

Lt. Colonel McDonough said the checkpoints will operate in the same manner as passenger vehicle safety checks conducted each day across the state. Motorcycle operators will be directed by portable highway signs to exit the interstate at the inspection stations where troopers or officers will check that the operator has the proper class of license for the vehicle, a valid tag, a federal DOT-approved motorcycle helmet, and that the operator is not under the influence of alcohol. “For the average operator with the proper license and equipment, the delay should be about a minute,” he said. Additional safety checks will be held in the spring and fall this year. (source Rome News, GA)
What's your take?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Its to get money from the feds and from peoples wallets, nothing else. If it was truly about safety they would make rider education a requirement and use the fed money to pay for it.

This comment does make a very valid point though:

Quote:
RE:
“…There were 167 motorcycle operators or passengers killed in crashes in 2008…”
“…$70,000 grant will be used to conduct six, one-day safety checkpoints …”
“…focused on motorcycle operators traveling at a high rate of speed, weaving in and out of traffic, traveling in the emergency lane, or driving recklessly around other vehicles….”

What rocket scientist thinks that checkpoints are going to mitigate such stupidity?
So why spend $70K when a simple Darwinian solution already appears to be at work.

Loo, lats time i looked there was no Constitutional right to not get get hurt on a scooter.
“… you pays your money and you takes your chances…”

Don’t like that reality…??? ….. Fine, take up Golf.

-nicker-

Last edited by derf; 03-04-2011 at 01:10 AM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

You are 100% right derf. It's a win win for the budget strapped state budgets. They get paid $70k to cover LEO wages and equipment useage. Then they also get revenue from the tickets.

More info on the constitutional aspects

states...

Quote:
The Supreme Court of the United States has repeatedly confirmed that any checkpoint whose primary purpose is general crime control constitutes an unreasonable search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment and is presumptively unconstitutional.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 03-04-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

AMA is working to support legislation against this type of stops
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...gislation.aspx

Run Amsoil Product
Old 03-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
AMA is working to support legislation against this type of stops
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...gislation.aspx
And that is why I clicked on the take action link at the bottom of your link and sent my representative a message
Old 03-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

I did the same thing!!

Run Amsoil Product
Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I did the same thing!!
Almost great minds think sorta alike
Old 03-04-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

*cough*revenuegenerator*cough*
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Seems to me that if they were really trying to cut down on motorcyclist deaths, there are better places to have a checkpoint than a limited access highway.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Seems to me that if they were really trying to cut down on motorcyclist deaths, there are better places to have a checkpoint than a limited access highway.
Exactly. If it was about safety and not money, they would setup checkpoints up in the mountains, where most people are actually riding. That's where I do 95% of my riding these days, thankfully...so I don't expect to run into one of these BS checkpoints.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote