Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).
Default The game is afoot.

Human foot washes up on beach near Vancouver for 11th time in four years

BY Jonathan Lemire
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Wednesday, August 31st 2011, 10:11 AM

A severed foot was found in a running shoe on the beach near Vancouver on Tuesday.

For the eleventh time in four years, a human foot washed ashore near Vancouver - baffling investigators who are at a loss to explain the grisly trend.

The foot, which was inside a running shoe, turned up along the British Columbia coast late Tuesday, according to police.

The body part, which was still attached to the lower part of the leg, was spotted by a passerby near the Vancouver's False Creek.

Police have no theories as to how the foot ended up in the water - but have not suggested that foul play is suspected.

Since 2007, nearly a dozen feet encased in shoes have appeared on beaches in the area, including a few over the border in Washington state.

The bizarre discovers have attracted international attention - and spawned fears of a serial killer.

But cops have steadfastly denied that anything sinister is behind the gruesome discovers, suggesting that the deaths were drownings or suicides and that the decaying feet separated from corpses naturally in the water.

Most of the remains are still unidentified, though police said at least three of the feet have been matched with British Columbia men who were reported missing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...#ixzz1WnUZBz9g

Best comment so far: "Somewhere, there are 11 angry people hopping around Canada."

JC
Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Yeah, no way it's a serial killer... that would be ludacris.

OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post

No this is Ludacris

This is a serial killer

Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
My guess is, the serial killer is the Pacific Ocean.

I used to live on the Oregon coast, and every year, one or two idiot tourists would walk way the hell out on a breakwater or a jetty, only to be swept out to sea by a rogue wave. Most of them were never seen again.

JC
Old 09-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
My guess is, the serial killer is the Pacific Ocean.

I used to live on the Oregon coast, and every year, one or two idiot tourists would walk way the hell out on a breakwater or a jetty, only to be swept out to sea by a rogue wave. Most of them were never seen again.

JC
12 feet in shoes! 12!! How many wash up along other shore lines? I've lived on the east coast my entire life, and I've never heard of a foot washing up. And in 30 years, I've only seen a porpoise and two dolphins washed up on the beach.

If a body has been in the water long enough for a foot to rot off, I'd have to think it would be eaten by all the little fishies out there.

It could very well be suicides, but to rule out foul play after 12 human feet have washed ashore in the last couple years? That's pretty ridiculous.

Edit: They're never seen again because sea creatures eat everything. If there's a plane crash in the area (think Swiss air flight 111) I will not eat the seafood.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
12 feet in shoes! 12!! How many wash up along other shore lines? I've lived on the east coast my entire life, and I've never heard of a foot washing up. And in 30 years, I've only seen a porpoise and two dolphins washed up on the beach.

If a body has been in the water long enough for a foot to rot off, I'd have to think it would be eaten by all the little fishies out there.

It could very well be suicides, but to rule out foul play after 12 human feet have washed ashore in the last couple years? That's pretty ridiculous.

Edit: They're never seen again because sea creatures eat everything. If there's a plane crash in the area (think Swiss air flight 111) I will not eat the seafood.
I'd agree that for the cops to rule out anything at this point, is bad policy.

However, most fish don't eat shoes.

Think about it. A body floats out to sea, the sharks go to work, and whatever's left sinks to the bottom. Then the crabs go to work, nibbling on tendons and soft tissue, until the foot breaks free.

A running shoe contains a lot of foam and rubber, which is buoyant, so it pops back up to the surface, floats around for a while, and ends up back on shore.

Seems plausible to me.

JC
Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I'd agree that for the cops to rule out anything at this point, is bad policy.

However, most fish don't eat shoes.

Think about it. A body floats out to sea, the sharks go to work, and whatever's left sinks to the bottom. Then the crabs go to work, nibbling on tendons and soft tissue, until the foot breaks free.

A running shoe contains a lot of foam and rubber, which is buoyant, so it pops back up to the surface, floats around for a while, and ends up back on shore.

Seems plausible to me.

JC

Want me to show you videos of fish pouring out of a hole in a drowning victim's neck? They find a way is what I'm saying. They get to every last bit of food because there are so many creatures happy to have a free meal. If it's floating on the surface, the gulls get it.

I understand the possibility. It IS possible that they're all suicides or drowning victims. Then again, it's possible that you and I will go on a pub crawl this weekend. Just very unlikely..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Want me to show you videos of fish pouring out of a hole in a drowning victim's neck? They find a way is what I'm saying.
That's OK.

I've spent somewhere around 6,000 hours underwater, so I have a pretty good idea of what's going on down there.

From what I've read in other articles, the foot remains were mostly skeletal in nature. They had to perform autopsies (footopsies?) to determine if the remains were even human, so the critters obviously had time to strip the edible bits away.

If someone was cutting the feet off with a saw or a cleaver, there would be tool marks on the bones. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case.

JC
Old 09-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Ludicrous, dude.

Ludacris? Really?

Just wow.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

I watched something on TV about this, and I remember it resembling what AMJ said. The currents take people out and bring the remains back in. I wish I could remember more of the details, but its out there if you wanna search for it.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote