Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09
Default sailing lessons

well starting my next adventure next weekend. taking my asa 101 class next weekend and weekend after. Been thinking/talking about sailing for years and figured as long as I'm here may as well start. Going to take class on fresh water lake then I'll try to move up to the Big Water. LOL
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
well starting my next adventure next weekend. taking my asa 101 class next weekend and weekend after. Been thinking/talking about sailing for years and figured as long as I'm here may as well start. Going to take class on fresh water lake then I'll try to move up to the Big Water. LOL
I've done a fair bit of sailing.

Hated it.

No matter which way you want to go, the wind will blow in the other direction.

JC
Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I've done some sailing too. I'm pretty shitty at it and wind up either paddling or getting a tow back
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
wildchild
cruiser

oh great just when I thought What could go wrong? LOL

getting towed is what I did a lot of in motor boats. LOL
Old 04-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Nice.

I'm trying to convince the wife to do a week-long bareboat (classes 101-104) cruise.

I sailed as a kid and know the basics but want to get some actual instruction under my belt and be able to feel comfortable chartering as a family.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Nice.

I'm trying to convince the wife to do a week-long bareboat (classes 101-104) cruise.

I sailed as a kid and know the basics but want to get some actual instruction under my belt and be able to feel comfortable chartering as a family.
yeah I took my girl out for a day on the water at a free sail day, just to make sure she'd like it.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

I've never been through any classes, but I've done a bit of sailing with friends.

If you just want to shit-n-git, sailing probably isn't for you.
If you usually have limited time to get out on the water and get wherever you're going, sailing probably isn't for you.
If you don't like being reliant on good wind conditions, sailing probably isn't for you. (well, there's always the motor...)

Really, as impatient as I can be at other things, sailing (done right) actually works for me.
When we go, we don't pick a destination, just a general direction. Whichever way seems to have the best wind will do. Sometimes we have to motor a bit, sometimes we just drift... but when you catch a good breeze and get the sails trimmed right, there's nothing like the feel of it. You're not going to outrun powerboats, but unlike them, you can actually have a conversation without shouting.

So, there's my endorsement. I imagine the classes will be in small boats with no motor, but if you decide to acquire one for yourself, get something that either has an inboard or that you can slap on a small outboard motor, Sail when the wind is good...but no need to worry if it's not.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
I've never been through any classes, but I've done a bit of sailing with friends.

If you just want to shit-n-git, sailing probably isn't for you.
If you usually have limited time to get out on the water and get wherever you're going, sailing probably isn't for you.
If you don't like being reliant on good wind conditions, sailing probably isn't for you. (well, there's always the motor...)

Really, as impatient as I can be at other things, sailing (done right) actually works for me.
When we go, we don't pick a destination, just a general direction. Whichever way seems to have the best wind will do. Sometimes we have to motor a bit, sometimes we just drift... but when you catch a good breeze and get the sails trimmed right, there's nothing like the feel of it. You're not going to outrun powerboats, but unlike them, you can actually have a conversation without shouting.

So, there's my endorsement. I imagine the classes will be in small boats with no motor, but if you decide to acquire one for yourself, get something that either has an inboard or that you can slap on a small outboard motor, Sail when the wind is good...but no need to worry if it's not.
you pretty much summed up why I am interested in it. I have to have something where I just relax and go with the flow. I love canoeing/kayaking for that reason. sailing I am hoping will give me a broader range of where to go. plus being able to take people with would be nice.
classes are in a 23 foot. no engine.
as far as what I'm hoping to get, usually the 23 foot to 30 foot ones catch my attention, definitely with engine. too many days the wind suddenly just dies. LOL
Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
you pretty much summed up why I am interested in it. I have to have something where I just relax and go with the flow. I love canoeing/kayaking for that reason. sailing I am hoping will give me a broader range of where to go. plus being able to take people with would be nice.
classes are in a 23 foot. no engine.
as far as what I'm hoping to get, usually the 23 foot to 30 foot ones catch my attention, definitely with engine. too many days the wind suddenly just dies. LOL
Yeah, the friend I sail with has a 21 ft Catalina with a little outboard.
When the lake got down so low last summer, we didn't even bother trying to sail (too many sandbars), we just motored out when we wanted to.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Nice.

That sounds kinky

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote