Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default Cutting Desire

Ugh.

This creeped me out so fucking much, I had to punch out of even reading the article.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/138932

Quote:
Cutting Desire
A rare condition compels its sufferers to want to amputate, or paralyze, their own healthy limbs. Inside the strange world of what sufferers call Body Integrity Identity Disorder.

"Josh" says he was fully prepared when he amputated his left hand with a power tool. He says he had tried to cut it off before—once putting it underneath a truck and trying to crush it (the jack didn't collapse right); once attempting to saw it off with a table saw (he lost his nerve). He even spent countless miles driving around with his hand dangling out the window, hoping to get side-swiped. But this time he was determined to succeed. Josh, who insisted on anonymity because his family thinks he lost his hand in an accident, says he practiced on animal legs he got from a butcher, and he was equipped with bandages to stop the bleeding and a charged cell phone in case he got dizzy. Now, years later, Josh says he feels wonderful without his hand, that his amputation finally ended a "torment" that had plagued him since middle school. "It is a tremendous relief," he told NEWSWEEK. "I feel like my body is right."

Surprising as it may seem, Josh is not alone. He has what some scientists are calling Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID), an exceedingly rare condition characterized by an overwhelming desire to amputate one or more healthy limbs or become paraplegic. The desire to be disabled seems so bizarre and contrary to basic human instincts that those who suffer from BIID have largely kept their compulsion a secret. But online communities of those with BIID have formed over the last decade, galvanizing a small movement to bring the disorder into the open.

They may soon be getting some support from the scientific community. BIID is attracting the attention of researchers who suspect that the condition may be related to other body image disorders—including anorexia, body dysmorphic disorder, and gender identity disorder—that at first glance may seem entirely psychological, but may be linked to physical differences in the brain. "In studying the hinterland between neurology and psychology, we can tell not just about people with conditions themselves, but how all our brains work," says Paul McGeoch, a neurologist at the University of San Diego who is currently doing brain scans on people with BIID. McGeoch's research may help answer the fundamental question: is BIID a mental illness or a hard-wired identity?

Those who congregate on the dozens of Web sites for people who identify themselves as having BIID say that safe and legal surgery, or a medically supervised way to become a paraplegic, is the only solution for their problem. (While researchers have interviewed dozens of BIID patients, there are no estimates of how many people are afflicted. However, transabled.org claims 1,500 visitors per day, while a Yahoo Web group of BIID suffers who say they are resisting the urge to amputate has 1,700 members.) They are most often white middle-aged males who refute the idea that the disorder can be treated like a mental illness with talk therapy and medication. They describe a persistent, torturous chasm between their mind's image of their own body, and the physical body they inhabit. They say their urge to "right" themselves is overwhelming. Controversially, some people who say they suffer from BIID draw parallels to the transgender community. They point out that it took years for people who felt they were born into the wrong gender to convince the medical and psychiatric professions to recognize their plight, and that transgender individuals are now protected by anti-discrimination laws in many cities and states.

"Nothing touches it, other than surgery," says Sean O'Connor, who runs the Web sites transabled.org and biid-info.org. "Psychotherapy doesn't work. Psychiatry doesn't work. Medication doesn't work. I'm a pretty typical example of someone who's attempted a [number] of ways to address the problem, done years of therapy of many types, including cognitive-behavioral therapy, and nothing helps." O'Connor says he identifies as someone with BIID, and uses a wheelchair, but has not taken the final step of finding a way to paralyze his legs.

While the idea of deliberately becoming disabled could seem offensive to disabled advocacy groups, the ones NEWSWEEK contacted were reluctant to pass judgment. "Certainly, there are some who would be repulsed by the idea that someone would intentionally disable themselves," says Nancy Starnes, senior vice president at the National Organization on Disability, noting that according to the Americans With Disabilities Act, anyone who appears to have a disability is protected. "But I think they would be treated the same way anybody with a mental health problem would be treated."

Dr. Michael First, a professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University in New York, has been trying to gain insight into the disorder and the question of how to treat it. In 2004, he conducted a study of 52 people who identified as amputee-wannabes. He found that they were far from psychotic. "You almost have to see it to believe it," First says. "These people say, 'Every minute of my life I feel like something is wrong.' But it doesn't impair their ability to relate to other people. They are completely in touch with reality."

Last edited by the chi; 12-10-2008 at 08:05 PM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Ugh.

This creeped me out so fucking much, I had to punch out of even reading the article.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/138932
This type of story get's recycled in the news at least once a year. BIID is a new twist on it though. It used to just be lumped into the Body Dysmorphic Disorder catagory.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

It's their bodies, but I don't want them to collect disability if they were to self-inflict the shits.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
It's their bodies, but I don't want them to collect disability if they were to self-inflict the shits.
many disability contracts have exclusion clauses for self inflicted injuries...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
ducati_atx
Yuppie Prick

Quid Pro Quo - An indie film with some good actors about this was actually pretty good. It had to do with BIID related to being paralized. They also had a feature in the special sections about amputation.
ducati_atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Get liscence- Check
Buy Busa - Check
Get good insurance- Check
Ride at a rapid rate of speed- Check
Throw yourself and bike into woods- Check
Become paralized- Check

Job well done...
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

is wrong with people???
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
is wrong with people???
Too many moving parts.

JC
Old 12-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Too many moving parts.

JC
And, the instructions were lost somewhere...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Check out BMEzine... you'll find all sorts of people like that out there... Try to find the video of the BME Pain Olympics if you really want to get into the crazy of it...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote